Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1.    #301  
    What I could do is implement the 'swipe to delete' in the stack inspector. This would then result in the stack dropping only on and above the item you deleted. So:

32 <-- swipe

result:

(with the current HP stack behavior that is)

Is that useful? I wasn't sure so I didn't do it yet.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Yes, I think "swipe to delete" would be a neat option. That lets you get rid of multiple parts of the stack.

It extends what can be done with the stack, and does something HP can't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "delete rows from the stack".
    Oh, yeah, I know what he means. I used an HP48 for a few years (foggy memories), and there were some subtle, but fundamental differences with the stack. And, yes, the BS key dropped the stack in a very useful way. But, perhaps due to its all-but-infinite stack, some stack functions make more or less sense on one platform vs. the other.

I must say, though, I just pulled the 48 out of the drawer, and now I can't quite think why you wouldn't want BS to drop the stack, other than for the original (flawed) reason I stated ("all HP calcs do it this way"). I think when you can see the effect it's having on the upper registers (as shown in the display), it would keep you from accidentally deleting data, unlike on a single-line-display HP calc.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Posted B34. Fixes:

- arithmetic symbols are bold again
    Woohoo!

- app now SCROLLS as a (somewhat crappy but hey) way to better deal with notifications
    I'm sure there are issues involved I don't understand, but...

Would it be possible to squeeze the screen in the vertical direction, say by judiciously pulling a row or two of pixels here and there? Seems you could pull a row from between each row of keys, and then a couple from above the display, etc.

Is it a matter of dealing with two different keyboard bitmaps?

Does having a scrolling keyboard make it more likely that screen taps can be incorrectly interpreted as scroll swipes?

Regards,
    Tom
    Marco,

Look at how nicely you can address the notifications issue and the display issue!

Current SciCalc Layout . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Proposed SciCalc Layout

1. Now you have room for the notifications.
    2. The calculator display is 21% x 21% bigger or 143% of the former size.
    3. The target area for button press is now 48x60 instead of 51x60 but still within the Palm spec and still easy to use.
    4. Now the calculator display is now high enough to be able to swipe to highlight all or part of the displayed number to type over!

The only downside is that you only have an 18 character display instead of 21 but it is at most a 14 digit display anyway and Fix only goes to 9 so the most digits can find that it ever users would be like:
    or
    1.23456789E13

So the 19th-21st digits in the display were not displayable anyway.

But this is so much more readable now especially under fluorescent light and with the brightness set low to minimize battery drain.

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/24/2009 at 11:59 AM.
    What I could do is implement the 'swipe to delete' in the stack inspector. This would then result in the stack dropping only on and above the item you deleted. So:

32 <-- swipe

result:

(with the current HP stack behavior that is)

Is that useful? I wasn't sure so I didn't do it yet.
    Its kind of funny, but I thought that's how it was already. I just checked it and you can swipe a value away and select delete. It goes away, but when you hit apply to go back, the value is still there.

Based on this, I see it as a negative without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Oh, yeah, I know what he means. I used an HP48 for a few years (foggy memories), and there were some subtle, but fundamental differences with the stack. And, yes, the BS key dropped the stack in a very useful way. But, perhaps due to its all-but-infinite stack, some stack functions make more or less sense on one platform vs. the other.

I must say, though, I just pulled the 48 out of the drawer, and now I can't quite think why you wouldn't want BS to drop the stack, other than for the original (flawed) reason I stated ("all HP calcs do it this way"). I think when you can see the effect it's having on the upper registers (as shown in the display), it would keep you from accidentally deleting data, unlike on a single-line-display HP calc.

Regards,
    Tom
    thanks for the clarification Tom. That does make sense for a single line display without the remainder of the stack showing.

Does the single line display also show the other stack values like Marco does? If not, then I could really see not wanting the BS button to function this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Marco,

Look at how nicely you can address the notifications issue and the display issue!

- Craig
    I'd love to see this. I usually have a notification or two up and would prefer not to have to scroll the display to use the calculator.
    Correction!

You can actually increase the calculator display size by 121% x 121% of 43% bigger and still show the full notifications area!

Marco,

What do you think?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    2. The calculator display is 21% x 21% bigger or 143% of the former size.
    Craig,

The gray areas seem about the same size to me, based on your screenshots. Or are you referring to the numeric digits?

Oh, and (1.21)^2 is 1.4641, or over 46% larger (hey, after all this IS a calculator thread )
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Craig,

The gray areas seem about the same size to me, based on your screenshots. Or are you referring to the numeric digits?

Oh, and (1.21)^2 is 1.4641, or over 46% larger (hey, after all this IS a calculator thread )
    Oh my!

Yes of course!

The part that is 46% larger is the "1337CAlC" LCD display.

- Craig
    Just out of curiosity...

Have you ever been in a meeting when some ***** asked to borrow your RPN calculator and he said, "Hey where is the Equal button?"

RPN calculator for your new Palm Pre - $15.

Hearing some manager who borrowed it say:

"Hey, where is the Equal button?"

Priceless.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    3. The target area for button press is now 48x60 instead of 51x60 but still within the Palm spec and still easy to use.
    Unfortunately my fingers don't meet the Palm spec and I'm occasionally having issues with getting the wrong key with the current layout.

And, yes, the BS key dropped the stack in a very useful way.
    I can't think of an instance where that's more useful than the rotate down button. Wouldn't you have to backspace through the entire number in the x-register before the stack would drop? When is that better than using the R-down button?

I think when you can see the effect it's having on the upper registers (as shown in the display), it would keep you from accidentally deleting data, unlike on a single-line-display HP calc.
    This may be more of an operator issue than a calculator issue but I don't usually look at the display when I'm entering values. I'm looking at the keys and the source of the data I'm inputting. I'll sometimes, but not always, look at the display just before I hit the enter or operation key to make sure the number is right. If it's not I'll either backspace to the problem or backspace a bunch of times to clear the x-register and start again depending on how badly I screwed up the entry. This last scenario was when I was having issues with the stack drop approach. Having said all that (or typed it) I'd like to think that I would eventually stop doing that after I wiped the Y-register enough times.

What I could do is implement the 'swipe to delete' in the stack inspector.
    I don't know that I would ever find this useful but I don't see a downside.
  14.    #314  
    Marco,

This is very similar to the solution I already have in place CSS wise, except for increasing the display size. This is unfortunately not gonna happen any time soon because it took a LOT, and I mean a LOT of time to make the digits look as nice as they do now. It's not trivial to just 'make them a bit bigger' because this is all 'pixel pushing' work in Photoshop. There's a sprite image with all possible LCD digits that I created and use through CSS to render the display.

What I did do is 'crunch' the buttons a bit to create the required 28px space at the bottom. I don't care about the Marco van Hylckama Vlieg - Design / Web Development / Photography being hidden. All that matters is that you can still touch all buttons.

What's keeping me from implementing it at the moment is not knowing how to measure the viewport height after a resize event occurs. I can catch the resize event already, the code is there. I hope to find the answer to this soon. Everything is in place, I just need to know how to get this size and apply / remove the CSS class that 'crunches' the button space when needed.

I apologize for the display issue. I'd have to recreate the digits from scratch which doesn't really fit in my schedule at this very moment. Maybe in a later release though, somewhere after 1.0!
  15.    #315  
    One more thing: Do we want the backspace to go back to the way I originally implemented it? (delete one char, work as 'clx' when there's no chars left to delete and finally drop the stack and add zeros on top after that)

Right now it does what a HP does and keeps adding the value that's on top of the stack as it drops. There's an example of why it's done like this is in the HP manual.
  16.    #316  
    Just out of curiosity...

Have you ever been in a meeting when some ***** asked to borrow your RPN calculator and he said, "Hey where is the Equal button?"

RPN calculator for your new Palm Pre - $15.

Hearing some manager who borrowed it say:

"Hey, where is the Equal button?"

Priceless.

- Craig
    When I was in highschool it always cracked me up. It's annoying how people forget to bring their calculator and then ask YOU if they can borrow yours, holding you up while doing assignments. The HP fixed all that. I just went like 'Sure dude, here you go!' when they asked, waited 20 seconds, hear the 'WTF?!?!' reactions start and receive it right back
    One more thing: Do we want the backspace to go back to the way I originally implemented it? (delete one char, work as 'clx' when there's no chars left to delete and finally drop the stack and add zeros on top after that)

Right now it does what a HP does and keeps adding the value that's on top of the stack as it drops. There's an example of why it's done like this is in the HP manual.
    Would it be possible to implement a preference to this? It appears that those used to the single line display don't like it to drop the stack, while those (me) used to the bigger display (and full stack display) prefer it to drop the stack.

If you have to choose one way or the other, I vote for drop the stack.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Do we want the backspace to go back to the way I originally implemented it? (delete one char, work as 'clx' when there's no chars left to delete and finally drop the stack and add zeros on top after that)
    As you've probably figured out from my earlier comments I vote for keeping it the way it is. I genuinely would like to hear of an example of why it might be better to have it work the other way though.
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    As you've probably figured out from my earlier comments I vote for keeping it the way it is. I genuinely would like to hear of an example of why it might be better to have it work the other way though.
    this isn't a great example, but the last time I used it:

My company makes different width presses. Parts on the presses have parts that are dependent on web width + a constant. To calculate the different part lengths, I would enter:

3.5 enter enter enter (that leaves me with 4 registers with 3.5)

10 + (record the value) BS
    13 + (record the value) BS
    17 + (record the value) BS
    20 + (record the value) BS

Also, I have used it with a swap key (which swaps the x and y register):

5 enter 4 enter 3 (then I realize I want to multiply 5 and 3)

Swap (swaps 4 and 3) BS (deletes 4) * (multiplies 5 and 3)

Hope that helps.
  20.    #320  
    Sad news: As it stands now it appears that the haptic feedback feature will have to go. It only works when the app has a com.palm.app.xxx ID which is not allowed by Palm.

Forums webOS &bull; View topic - AppID?