Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
  1.    #261  
    Ok I think I got it a bit better. Please try B29 and let me know what you think.

It seems I managed to make engineering notation and scientific notation play nicer in combination with FIX settings. I also made the display update more intuitively when you change settings.

SCI and ENG seem to work and FIX determines the amount of digits after the period, before the E. This seems to make sense to me. Let me know if it doesn't.

123456789 with ENG and FIX 2 becomes 123.00E6
    123456789 with SCI and FIX 2 becomes 1.23E8

I guess it's not perfect yet because that first one should be 123.45E6.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    This is getting closer. There are still some issues. I don't know if they're implementation issues are just bugs. In the examples below key strokes are in black. The display is in green and my comments are in blue

0.125 ENTER 0.125 OK
    g-FIX 2 0.13 OK except FIX icon is no longer on
    100 + 100.13 OK
    g-ENG 100 OK
    .125 ENTER 0.125 Expected 125.E -3
    0.001 - 124.00E-3 OK
    g-SCI 1.24E-1 OK
    g-SCI 0.12 OK because were still in FIX mode except FIX icon is off
  3.    #263  
    About the FIX: the icon only goes on to indicate you're going to set a FIX mode. Similar to the STO icon, it only stays on until you've pressed a register number.

I think the only thing that isn't right is the precision at this point?

meaning: 123456789 with FIX 2 and ENG should be 123.45E6 rather than 123.00E6

This last bit seems tricky so far.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    One more note, even though I agree the SCI and ENG display should ideally work like a HP:

This calculator is NOT intended to be an emulator. It shares a lot of characteristics with the HP but it was never meant to emulate it to perfection. If it were it would have the exact same key layout too which it doesn't

The reason it shares a lot of common characteristics is in order to cater towards people that are used to HP's so they won't have to dig through the manual too much.
    By "emulator" what I meant was the keys work the same way in the program as they do on an HP calculator. The more different the functions/key usage is, the less helpful it is to the HP user, as we have to learn something different - as opposed to knowing how it works and getting on with the calculations.

Maybe emulator isn't the right word for what I meant - perhaps it has a more precise meaning. Putting keys in different locations than an HP calculator doesn't bother me at all, but keys working differently than the HP method do.

Regarding B29, did the divide and addition key symbols get smaller? They were increased in size recently, and my first impression was they reverted to the smaller size.

Either that or I've spent too much time on my Pre lately and my eyes are wearing out
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    About the FIX: the icon only goes on to indicate you're going to set a FIX mode. Similar to the STO icon, it only stays on until you've pressed a register number.
    I'd like to see the FIX icon stay on as long as it's active. It could be problematic to forget you're in FIX 2 mode and take a result of 0.13 as gospel when the result is really 0.125.

I think the only thing that isn't right is the precision at this point?
    I would also expect it to change an entered value to the selected format when the enter key is pressed as in: .125 ENTER should show 125.E -3

meaning: 123456789 with FIX 2 and ENG should be 123.45E6 rather than 123.00E6
    In this example an HP calculator would give 123.E6. The value you enter for ENG mode is the number of digits after the first significant digit so in your example the '1' is the first significant digit and the '2' and '3' would be digits 1 and 2. I could see an argument for doing it the way you propose.
    Just to be clear, the HP approach is to treat FIX, SCI, and ENG equally; FIX is not used in conjunction with SCI and/or ENG.

FIX n will cause numbers to be displayed with n digits after the decimal.

SCI n will cause numbers to be displayed in sci. notation with n digits after the decimal (i.e. n+1 significant digits)

ENG n will cause numbers to be displayed with n+1 significant digits, and the exponent will be zero or multiples of 3.

Once you decide how you want it to work, let us know and we'll help debug. I understand that you're not trying to precisely emulate the HP, but like it or not, I think a lot of people will expect it for a number of reasons. Personally, I would urge you to use the HP approach unless there's a good reason not to. But that's just my $0.02. I can certainly see a rationale to your approach, and as long as it makes sense and is consistent, it should work.

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. I too thought I noticed the four math operator symbols got smaller....
  7.    #267  
    Just uploaded B30. I think it's more solid now.

At THIS moment, FIX has an effect on SCI and ENG. The effect being the amount of digits shown before the E. I will probably change it to behave like the HP but for now I need to make sure this actually works.

test cases I used:

123456789, FIX 4: 123456789.0000
    in ENG this becomes: 123.5E6 (4 digits)
    in SCI this becomes: 1.235E8 (still 4 digits)

Now change FIX 6

in normal mode: 123456789.000000 (6 digits)
    back to SCI: 1.23457E8 (6 digits)
    to ENG: 123.457E6 (6 digits)

FIX 4: 0.0123
    in ENG this becomes: 12.35E-3 (4 digits)
    in SCI this becomes: 1.235E-2 (4 digits)

Now change FIX 6:

in normal mode I have: 0.012346
    in SCI I get: 1.23457E-2 (6 digits)
    in ENG I get: 12.3457E-3 (6 digits)

Please play around and let me know if anything is not working right.

Now that I have this nailed (I think anyway) I should be able to change the behavior to be able to type: ENG 4, SCI 4 or FIX 4 for ENG, SCI or normal mode with 4 significant digits.

Thanks for all this testing guys. Without all your helpful comments this thing would NEVER be what it is now.
    Wow, lots of discussion around formatting.

My two cents: FIX/SCI/ENG shouldn't interact with each other in any way - the setting from FIX should have no influence on display in SCI or ENG. Pressing any of FIX/SCI/ENG should put the calculator in a state where the next key pressed sets the number of digits displayed to the right of the decimal. If the next key pressed isn't a digit, the calculator should throw an error and ignore the initial key press. The calculator should always be in one of these three modes, and the display should show an indicator of which mode it's in.

HP behavior, and my personal preference is that the digit you specify when setting up the display format is the number of digits to the right of the decimal, NOT the number of significant digits. But I can see a good argument for going with significant digits and don't feel that strongly. Depends on whether you do more addition or multiplication, I guess.
  9.    #269  
    b.t.w. yes the buttons got smaller again. I screwed something up in Photoshop I think. Will fix.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Hmm, in r30 I'm not getting the same number of digits at all. It seems to remember only what the last number was for that format.

I have a number now in the X-register: 717.05356 (and some digits beyond)

That's how it displays with g FIX 5.

g SCI: 7.1705E2
    g ENG: 717.0535617282

So do you have it programmed to have to set FIX for each type of display, and that they are independent?

Sometimes it works like you've shown, but as above, sometimes it fails and seems to have a mind of its own.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    HP behavior, and my personal preference is that the digit you specify when setting up the display format is the number of digits to the right of the decimal, NOT the number of significant digits.
    That's accurate for FIX and SCI, but not for ENG. If you have 81,720 as an entry, and you specify SCI 3, you'll get 8.172E4 as you predict.

But ENG 3 will give you 81.72E3. It sets the number of significant digits after the first digit, not after the decimal point.

TomJ above very clearly explained the HP method.
    Last edited by jp99; 08/21/2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added credit for TomJ's post
    Hi, can you make something where i can calculate payment like mortgage payments, amortization, etc,etc. I'd really apreciate if you can do something like that... Really.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    That's accurate for FIX and SCI, but not for ENG. If you have 81,720 as an entry, and you specify SCI 3, you'll get 8.172E4 as you predict.

But ENG 3 will give you 81.72E3. It sets the number of significant digits after the first digit, not after the decimal point.

TomJ above very clearly explained the HP method.
    Ah, that makes sense. Need to do something else because of the way ENG forces the exponent. (I'm a scientist, not an engineer...tend not to use ENG mode).
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I'm an engineer but I rarely use ENG mode - well under 5% of the time. Most of my quantities are mixed units ( heat transfer coefficients, etc) or temperatures and powers of 3 make no sense.
  15.    #275  
    jp99 is right, this thing has a mind of it's own. It's going back to the drawing board this weekend
    I love everything you are doing. This thread is fun because it is such a collaboration.

You are getting a year's testing every week. I can't image how other developers could try to do this without a Homebrew test forum.

I am still having trouble reading the calculator display unless the display is set to full bright. Try this. Set you brightness to low like you are trying to save battery life.

Even with low brightness I have no trouble seeing the white on black keys.

Can the calculator display font be as easy to read as the keys? Bolder, not italics, anything?

- Craig
  17.    #277  
    Hmmm I can't really change much there I think. I'm surprised you have trouble with the white on black. I figured the blue could be a bit tough because there is less contrast.

And yes the testing I get on this app here absolutely rocks. When it hits the appstore it will probably one of the most well tested apps out there

I plan to reward everyone who posted substantial bug reports by paypal-ing them the store price amount so they can have the store version and its auto updates for free.

I'm very grateful for all this help!
    Could the font be bolder?

- Craig
  19.    #279  
    It already is one of the most readable fonts on the planet: Helvetica Bold (except for x,y etc. which are times bold italic like on most other calcs.)

I'll experiment a bit before release though.
  20.    #280  
    Also about financial: yes, there will be a finance calculator based on the core and gui of this one. As soon as this one is released i'm gonna get started!