Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Just noticed the "<-" (backarrow) key is not behaving correctly with regard to the stack. It should only affect the x-register, and should not drop the stack.

Example: If I enter a number on the stack, press "Enter", then hit <-, it should clear only the x-register, and leave the y-register intact.

Regards,
    Tom
  2.    #242  
    I just released B25

- SCIentific and ENGineering notation
    - FRAC
    - INT
    - RND
    - ->DEG and ->RAD
    - some minor fixes

Some notes about SCI and ENG:

They don't work exactly like a HP. I couldn't get this to work yet and I'm not sure if it's needed. What I have now is SCI ( 111123456789 = 1.1112345678 E12) and ENG (111123456789 = 111.123456789 E9)

These work together with FIX in the sense that for example the engineering notation from the above (1.11123456789 E12) becomes 1.111 E12 when fixed to 3 digits.

To those who know what this is all about, please let me know if this is useful or if it should be different.

This means I'm finally 'feature complete' when it comes to the originally planned features. The only thing I'll be adding before 1.0 is Rectangular and Polar coordinate conversions as this has been requested by a few.

From now on it's time for hardcore bug testing. Any reports are most welcome!

TomJ> You're right I think. It is like this because it was mentioned by others before that it should drop the stack.
    However I just found in the HP manual that HP's have it erase digit by digit if ENTER has not been pressed and work as CLx if Enter did get pressed.

What do you all think the behavior should be? The way it is now or 'The HP way' ?
    Last edited by TheMarco; 08/20/2009 at 05:30 PM.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    What do you all think the behavior should be? The way it is now or 'The HP way' ?
    I vote for the HP way. I think if anyone has any expectations, it will be for the "HP way", and anything else will be off-putting.

My $0.02.

Regards,
    Tom
  4.    #244  
    B26 posted. If I didn't screw anything up, backspace now works 'the HP way'.
    Also fixed a weird mistake that creeped in with the + button.
    What I forgot to mention in B25's notes is that SCI, ENG and FIX settings are (of course) persistent.

Bring on the bug reports so I can get this baby towards release quality
  5.    #245  
    Uploaded B27 which includes Rectangular and Polar conversions. The catch is: it doesn't work right. I need some help from one of you Math gurus to tell me what the exact formulas are and: how does the calculator being set to DEG, RAD or GRAD influence the result?

I can't figure out the formulas to use. Help is highly appreciated here!

This release also addresses the request to make the display somewhat more readable. The digits are now darker and sharper. Looks a lot better I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I can't figure out the formulas to use. Help is highly appreciated here!
    PM sent
  7.    #247  
    B28 posted. I think I have ->P and ->R right now for positive x and y at least. Need to look into johncc's PM to see what else needs to be done. It's too late at night now for me to fully focus on it

For now can you test how well / bad it works right now? It does solve the HP15C manual examples correctly but... those are in the first quadrant and only in DEG.

Also fixed some issues with STO and RCL and some other minor bugs. Getting closer and closer to the correct (HP-ish) stack behavior with every function.

I'm trying to get storage arithmetic to work like a HP but this is still under construction. It means you can type:

8 STO + 1 to add 8 to what's already in register 1.

At the moment this is NOT working right yet.

by the way, earlier we were talking about what the use would be of the stack being 'topped up' with the value on top rather than filled with zeros when you keep dropping.
    Page 41-42 of the HP15C manual has a nice example of why this can be useful

Night all!
    Can you please double check the force conversion rate between Newtons and Poundforce? I believe it should be 1lbf=4.448221615N (at least all other conversion calculators list this), but your conversion says 1lbf=0.4535924N.

Thanks! Great app!!!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    It's not clear to me how your intending the FIX, SCI and ENG modes to work. How do you set the number of decimal places?

On the HP calculators after you select the mode you specify the number of decimal places. For example on my 32SII if you have 1.125 on the display you select DISP, FIX the display says FIX _ . If you input 2 the calculator will round to 2 decimal places and in this example show 1.13. SCI and ENG modes work in a similar manner. In SCI mode there's always 1 digit to the left of the decimal point and you specify how many decimal places are displayed to the right so if you specify 2 and enter 100.125 the display will show 1.00E2. ENG mode works like SCI except that the exponent is a multiple of 3 (useful for working with units like micro-, milli- and kilo-) so again with a 2 specified 100.125 gets displayed as 100.E0 and 0.125 gets displayed as 125.E-3.
    Firstly, readability is greatly improved - thanks!

I think the SCI & ENG need a little work, though, like APEowner mentioned. And, the command should change the displayed number immediately. Also, multiple presses of these keys should not toggle on/off, but rather set the new desired state.

Regards, Tom
  11.    #251  
    APEowner it's confusing myself at the moment. I need to look into it deeper. Consider it not completely done yet

bigshan1911 you're right! Apparently my source of conversion data was flat out wrong. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll be going through all of them to check for accuracy to make sure there are no other mistakes.
  12.    #252  
    TomJ what do you mean? Let's say I set it to SCI and it auto-updates to scientific display (I agree with that). What should happen then when you press it again? There has to be a way to switch it off since I don't have a 'normal' mode.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Let's say I set it to SCI and it auto-updates to scientific display (I agree with that). What should happen then when you press it again? There has to be a way to switch it off since I don't have a 'normal' mode.
    Since there's no 'normal' mode (or ALL in HP speak) I think it's fine for a second press to toggle back to normal. In addition to some general flakiness in the way it works (doesn't change the current number, you can be in both FIX and SCI at the same time...) it's not clear how you set the resolution. Since you're not using a menu system perhaps you could flash the selected mode icon until the resolution is entered.
    1.125 ENTER (display shows 1.125)
    g-FIX (FIX starts flashing),
    2 ENTER (display shows 2 till ENTER is pressed)
    display show 1.13

If you limit the resolution to 9 then you don't need to wait for an ENTER.
  14.    #254  
    At the moment:

[FIX, number] fixes to 0-9 (instant display not working right atm)
    SCI and ENG have the FIX value working on the digits before the E
    [FIX, .] = no fixed display

you can be 'in FIX and SCI' at the same time because SCI is a one-button operation.

This whole thing obviously needs an overhaul.

I'm looking for code to properly do SCI and ENG display. What I have now doesn't seem to work right.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Marco,

I've tried the ->R and ->P and they seem ok for 1st quadrant. The other ones are usually wrong when converting from rectangular to polar, as you surmised. The length is right, the angle is wrong. I've only checked degrees so far, not radians or grads.

I assume the PM from johncc cleared up how to calculate the angle correctly?

I agree with the comments on SCI and ENG - they don't quite work in the HP way, and probably need to be changed. It's functional for now, but anyone who's used to an HP will have an expectation that your emulator will work the same way.
    Last edited by jp99; 08/21/2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Reordered a sentence for clarity
  16.    #256  
    Problem with the notations is that javascript can't really do it by itself. I need to write a whole parser to get this to work right.

And yes, I have the information now to make the conversions work perfectly. Thanks!
  17.    #257  
    One more note, even though I agree the SCI and ENG display should ideally work like a HP:

This calculator is NOT intended to be an emulator. It shares a lot of characteristics with the HP but it was never meant to emulate it to perfection. If it were it would have the exact same key layout too which it doesn't

The reason it shares a lot of common characteristics is in order to cater towards people that are used to HP's so they won't have to dig through the manual too much.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    you can be 'in FIX and SCI' at the same time because SCI is a one-button operation.
    I don't really follow this.
    This whole thing obviously needs an overhaul.
    Since your going to be working on this some more I'll stop trying to evaluate the current setup. For what it's worth Free42 emulates the behavior I expect and that's documented in the manual for my 32SII.

I don't know what your priorities are or what your projected time table is but I think the notification area issue needs to be addressed before the first official release. I've been trying to use this app as my primary calculator to help with the debug process and not having access to all of the bottom row of keys most of the time is darn inconvenient. I don't have a clue how to code it but DigiClock and Timepiece (both of which can be found in the Homebrew app section) "shove" both the notification area and the area at the top of the screen aside when they run. If you press the volume key they "shrink" to allow access to the top of the screen. Perhaps this technique could be used to solve this problem. Another option might be to slide the app up, cutting off the top corners of the display, just enough to allow full access to the keys.
  19.    #259  
    It pretty much means it's a big stinking mess

It's gonna be hard for me to get this display stuff right because string manipulation is not one of my strengths as a programmer.

The notifications thing is definitely going to be addressed before app store time.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    It's gonna be hard for me to get this display stuff right because string manipulation is not one of my strengths as a programmer.
    I do mostly embedded programming so I hardly ever even see a string much less manipulate it!