Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I like it. Is it still your plan to have the top row hide when the notification area is active?
  2.    #222  
    Yes that's the plan!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  3.    #223  
    Last thing I'm thinking of is moving y^x to the 1/x button and g-shifting chcnv.

Note: I don't really like hiding a row of keys for the notification but I don't really know anything better...
    I like it. Nice and clean.

One thing I've been meaning to ask: my aged eyes really can't easily distinguish between your keyboard labels for addition and division. Could you slightly tweak the divide key to make a little more space between the horizontal and the two dots? Unless I put my nose right up to the Pre or use a magnifier, I can't resolve the little gaps, so it just looks like another + key.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I don't like hiding the rows either but I like all of other options even less. As I said before, I do think you need a way to turn that off. What about shrinking the top row or losing the spce above it?
    Key layout looks good to me. If you're going to hide the top row of keys (when notifications are present), I'd vote for swapping the top two rows, as I don't use the trig functions nearly as much. I fully understand that I may be in the minority, but if not, thought I'd get that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    One thing I've been meaning to ask: my aged eyes really can't easily distinguish between your keyboard labels for addition and division. Could you slightly tweak the divide key to make a little more space between the horizontal and the two dots? Unless I put my nose right up to the Pre or use a magnifier, I can't resolve the little gaps, so it just looks like another + key.
    +1. Actually, I've been look at some of my HP calcs -- it appears they use a larger font for these operation keys (i.e. the height of the "x" is the same as the height of a digit). Something to consider....

Regards,
    Tom
  7.    #227  
    Ok guys, agreed. Here's a screenshot of the new and hopefully final keyboard layout. I have tried to make the symbols easier to read.

Next release is going to have this layout and all new stuff implemented.

Finally: This app is going to the app store soon hopefully. However, I am still trying to figure out a reasonable price for it. It has to be low enough for people who are interested in an app like this to go ahead and buy it but also high enough for me to actually make a few bucks out of the insane amount of work that has been going into this app so far.

So what do you guys think would be a reasonable price?

Note: this app is OPEN SOURCE. This means that if you don't feel my efforts deserve any financial support, you CAN have it for free. For the release versions it will simply mean you have to pull the source off GitHub, palm-package it and install it.

All this is also why I don't whine about donations. Whomever feels the app is worth some money will hopefully buy it in the app store and enjoy auto-updates
    Attached Images Attached Images
  8.    #228  
    New B23 release is up!

- new keyboard layout
    - stack rollup/rolldown functions
    - modified stack behavior to work as discussed earlier in this thread (as opposed to adding zeroes on top)
    - larger basic function labels on buttons
    - HP15c formula for Standard Deviation

Since I had to shuffle a lot of stuff around there may be new bugs (I hope not though!)
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm liking the new layout. I didn't complain about the readability of the old keys (I'm in denial about my diminishing eye sight) but the new ones are more readable.

If you're going to hide the top row of keys (when notifications are present), I'd vote for swapping the top two rows, as I don't use the trig functions nearly as much.
    This is true for me as well. How about allowing the user to specify which row to hide? Did I already suggest that?

Since I had to shuffle a lot of stuff around there may be new bugs (I hope not though!)
    I found one. The About... no longer works.

So what do you guys think would be a reasonable price?
    I think what's a reasonable price is dependant on how aggressive you're going to be about adding features and what the upgrade policy is going to be. At the under $20.00 mark I'd be reasonably happy if there were no more features added and upgrades consisted of bug fixes over the next year. If you charge more than that I would expect to see more features added in the coming 6 months or so. Right now you don't have much competition but I would expect that to change soon and if some of the old Palm OS stuff gets ported over you'll need to add features if you want to compete in the over $20.00 market.

I've used visacsofts's CustomCalc on my 650 Treo for years. They're getting $38.95. I think that's a bit steep but I did pay it.
  10.    #230  
    Thanks! And no i'm not thinking about prices that high. More in the 10-15 range is what I had in mind. I'd personally never pay over 30 for any phone app. Too much imho.
    Demand versus price curve. Are you trying to maximize revenue or number of installs? I would say it's worth $20 but I don't think too many people would pay that. At $0.99 I believe you would see quite a few more buyers, including those just looking for something neater than the default calculator or just wanting to play with it. Maybe you could do a poll, "what would you pay":
    $0.99
    $4.99
    $9.99
    $14.99

You've earned every penny.
    This one's kinda weird: When I first open the Conversion calc, the property "acceleration" is misspelled. But, when I go to choose a property, it's spelled correctly, and stays spelled correctly when I select it into the field.

When I leave the conversion selection page, and re-enter, it's spelled incorrectly again (two l's).

Hey, not all the feedback can be pearls.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    The 23 release is nice. I like the key layout, and it's working well so far.

Regarding price, I'd go for it up to $20. The $40 app price, which I know you won't do, is really high considering you can buy a current HP 35s for about $45. I think $15 will be a sweet spot where you'll get a number of purchases, including some who want to just have it and use it on infrequent occasions. At $20 you'd lose those.

App prices will be one thing I look at closely when the App catalog comes out of beta. If all the apps are going after $30 price tags, there will be a lot fewer on my Pre than there are today. There's no way I'll put 15 or 20 apps at $30/each on the Pre!
  14.    #234  
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys! I think I'll go $14.99 with it. Sounds like a nice balanced price.

Also, I caught the about screen issue and the spelling mistake. Will be fixed in the next release.

Just a few more functions left and then I gotta start thinking about the (epic) help section for this thing *shudders*
  15.    #235  
    B24 posted! A lot of 'invisible' changes in this release to make the app compliant with Palm's guidelines and best practices.

- Fixed broken About screen
    - Corrected spelling error
    - Implemented proper cleanup functions (Palm guidelines)
    - Removed 'Dismiss' buttons (Palm guidelines)
    - Implemented skeleton Help system
    - Fixed UI issues with held/tapped list items in stack inspector
    $15.00 sounds like a good figure for the market. (Probably worth much more and remember that you lose 30% to Palm). And if you want $15.00, please don't go with the $14.99 BS. That is just annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2000 View Post
    This is what we need on the Pre. an HP48 emulator. Maybe it can be ported. I have one on my pocketpc and its great.

Christoph Giesselink Emu48 Page
    Can someone port this to webos ? It's really good.
    I had EMU-48 on all my Treos (650 & 700p). This is the calculator we need.
  18.    #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by iplay2 View Post
    Can someone port this to webos ? It's really good.
    I had EMU-48 on all my Treos (650 & 700p). This is the calculator we need.
    Well thanks mate...

To answer your question: No it cannot be done until native apps are possible. I'm pretty confident that my app is reaching the 'this is as far as it goes' limit when it comes to WebOS, because after all we're using Javascript here and not C++.

I COULD implement the graphing and programmability but this isn't planned for the 1.0 release at least. I might do this later after I finish the financial version of this calculator. Graphing is the lowest on my list because I believe this is more of a gimmick rather than something a lot of people actually use.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I'm new at buying phone apps. I love your calculator program, and currently find it the quickest approach to do trig calcs. My $ value assessment for apps on the Pre are as folows.
    I paid $200 dollars for the device with pocket pc capabilities. I'll probably own the device for at a maximum of 2 years, thus I'll own the app for a maximum of 2 years. During that time period how much should I spend on the device for my entertainment and productivity. $15 for a decent RPN calculator integrated with a phone is about right for my value assessment, because I know I will use the calculator often, when I don't have access to a computer. If I could get mobile MS Excell on my phone, I probably would not buy the calculator at that price. You can always change your pricing based on the demand. Start out high, and reduce the price when there are more options for consumers.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    The g function button to change from scientific notation to engineering notation does not work. If I press g then the eng button I get the number 6.