Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    I don't know what kind of withdrawal symptoms I would experience if I gave up my 32SII even for a cause as noble as this one but I can point you towards a great emulator. Head on over to Free42 and download the version for your platform. I've been using this for years and while I still prefer the real thing I've not had any issues with it.

I guess that solves the HP problem, that seems much easier! I won' t bother with the old PalmOS stuff unless someone else wants it. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  2.    #182  
    Uploaded B19.

- delta percent now works right (at least I think so)
    - subtle button graphics fix.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  3.    #183  
    Uploaded B19.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Uploaded B19.

I'm not sure if you did stack delete work in these last 2 updates, but it seems you're one step closer. Now if i enter:

5 enter 4 enter 3 enter backspace backspace backspace backspace : it deletes the displayed 3, then the 3 4 and 5 in stack, dropping the stack properly each time.

However, if i enter:

5 enter 4 enter 3 backspace backspace backspace : it doesn't delete the display value or any of the stack.

If i enter

5 enter 4 enter 3 2 backspace (4 times) : it deletes the 2 then the 3 then drops the stack properly each time.

It appears the only issue left is if you enter 1 value in the display, you are unable to delete it or drop the stack.

Good work with changes.

Also, with the discussion of %, i saw a thread in the main pre forum a few weeks back discussing the function of % and how they work differently on different calculators. Typically % is defined as a percentage of another value, i.e. 50% of 50 is 25 abd 50% of 100 is 50. Most calculators use the % key as a "divide by 100" which then allows you to multiply that value with the value you are taking the percentage of, so you would enter 100 50 % * to recieve 50.

I think the discussion in the other topic revolved around adding %s. The user wanted to take 100 + 25% and recieve 125, but he actually recieved 100.25, he claimed (and proved) that other calculators got that result.

Anyway, my point is be careful with %, because the function is how you define them, and you may want to document when you hit a final release.
  5.    #185  
    Thanks for the deep testing quicksilver! Seems that indeed the only issue left is one digit in the display. Hope to fix it today!

At the moment i'm also working on implementing the more advanced statistical functions such as linear regression, standard deviation and correlation coefficient.

Finally about explaining the percent functions: once all functions are implemented I plan to add a complete manual for everything. This will take me a while to write though!
  6.    #186  
    B20 posted.

New:

- Linear Regression
    - Standard Deviation
    - predicted y and r value
    - hopefully the last backspace fix

HP fanatics: Please test if I did it right. I'm pretty sure I did from trying the HP15c manual examples but... you never know!

Finally, a big fat f*** you to whoever is making an effort to down-vote the rating on my app. It's gone down quite a lot suddenly. Even though I'm the author saying this, I know this is an A-class app that doesn't deserve that kind of petty stuff.
    I didn't rate it at all, sorry. I just gave it 5 stars! ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    I didn't rate it at all, sorry. I just gave it 5 stars! ii
    just gave you five stars as well, this is a SOLID app.
  9.    #189  
    Thanks guys! Sorry I guess I shouldn't even have said anything but that kind of 5-year old behavior really annoys me to death
  10.    #190  
    Last update for this weekend. This is kind of a milestone. I added the mean x / mean y function. This was the last one to complete full feature emulation of all HP15C statistics functions. To read how all of this works look here in the HP15c manual.

Hardcore users: Please let me know if anything doesn't work right. I'm fairly sure I nailed it.

Note: I have implemented everything with 2 stack lifts. Please let me know if there's any reason to also have them with 1 lift. I don't really see why it but maybe someone can come up with a valid reason?
  11.    #191  
    Last update for this weekend. This is kind of a milestone. I added the mean x / mean y function. This was the last one to complete full feature emulation of all HP15C statistics functions. To read how all of this works look here in the HP15c manual.

Hardcore users: Please let me know if anything doesn't work right. I'm fairly sure I nailed it.

Note: I have implemented everything with 2 stack lifts. Please let me know if there's any reason to also have them with 1 lift. I don't really see why it but maybe someone can come up with a valid reason?
    If anyone is using this app and has not given it a rating please give it a rating here:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...rpn-calculator

I gave it 5 stars.

As a personal request, could you make the displayed number bolder, larger, or easier to read. For realism of the early LCD's the current display is actually easier to read! The keys are easy for me to read. The font for the white on gray keys is actually smalled but much easier for me to read.

Also, a weird thing, but type this number and look at how it converts it:
    -or-

Type in other 10 digit numbers and they are not converted such as:

Also, would you consider doing a real business calculator, at least the time value of money features for loan payment calculations: N, I/YR, PV, PMT, FV. I loved how the standard Treo calculator could change from Basic Calculator to Scientific Calculator to Financial Calculator.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/17/2009 at 10:03 AM.
    I gave it a 5-star rating.

In some casual testing, stat functions seem to match the output of my 15C. I'll keep hammering on them for a while.

Wait - is "sigma - " implemented? Doesn't seem to be working.

Example:
    clear-sigma, 2, sigma+, 3, sigma+, 4, sigma+, x-bar ----> 3 (correct)
    but oops, didn't mean to include that last data point, so remove it from the stat registers:
    4, sigma-, x-bar ---> 3 (wrong, should now be 2.5)

Just a reminder that FIX/SCI/ENG are still pending.
  14.    #194  
    Sigma - is working! However there seems to be an issue with entering single items rather than data pairs. Probably because of some stack lifting going on that shouldn't happen in these cases. I'm not completely sure what the behavior should be like when using single entries. Can you give me an example? Also, how can it be 2.5? From what I know the display after Sigma+/- always shows the amount of data points gathered which means it should be 1 after deleting one in your example rather than 2.5. Am I wrong?
  15.    #195  
    Thanks Milominderbinder! I'm still fighting rounding issues as they pop up. I'll try to address this one soon too!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Sigma - is working! However there seems to be an issue with entering single items rather than data pairs. Probably because of some stack lifting going on that shouldn't happen in these cases. I'm not completely sure what the behavior should be like when using single entries. Can you give me an example? Also, how can it be 2.5? From what I know the display after Sigma+/- always shows the amount of data points gathered which means it should be 1 after deleting one in your example rather than 2.5. Am I wrong?
    I have only ever used the stat registers for single values, not data pairs; I'm aware that they can do data pairs, never found the functionality useful/productive. I'd shift to a stat package on my workstation when I needed something more involved like that.

In the example I cited upthread, the 2.5 value would be the expected result of the x-bar function (average, mean, etc) if the sigma- function had canceled out the "4" entry, leaving stats only for values 2, 3. Immediately after hitting sigma-, I would expect x to show "2", reflecting how many values had been entered into the stat registers.

Sigma- should remove the value in x (and I guess, y) appropriately from each stat register, then decrement the count so that if there were n values in the stats registers, after hitting sigma minus, the count should be n-1. As near as I can tell, sigma- is mainly an undo function for data entry; don't know if there are other uses of this key or not; that's the only way I've ever used it.

I'm also finding that the standard deviation function isn't matching my 15C:

clear sigma, 2, sigma+, 3, sigma+, 4, sigma+, s -----> 0.81649.... on 1.0b21. On my 15C and in Excel, I get a value of 1.000000.

My last stat class was a while ago *cough*more-years-ago-than-the-age-of-some-forum-members*cough* but I vaguely remember that the formula for s is different when n is small. I wonder if you're using the formula for large n even for small datasets.
    The backspace on the stack appears to be working correctly now. I will keep on it and see if I can find anything else.

The pi button appears to bump thee stack with whatever is in the display before hitting the pi key. I.e. 1 enter pi enter leaves the stack with 1 1 3.14159...

I think if you lift the stack with pi, it should put 3.14159 into the stack instead of whatever was displayed before it. Or just don't lift the stack.
  18.    #198  
    Again, thanks a lot dwhitman. Your extensive tests are extremely valuable!

About the s function: I found this page: Compute Standard Deviation JavaScript

It gives the same result as my calculator.

If there's a formula for small datasets I can implement it. Can you point me to the formula?

Also, I can verify your sigma- issue. I'll have to look into that.

Just for my sanity: could you possibly have a look at the examples in the HP15c manual and verify that at least those are working as they should? I used those myself for testing but of course it's possible that I overlooked something.

quicksilver: I'll think about the pi thing. Maybe dwhitman can tell me what his HP15c does with this?

Thanks again guys! You all rock!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm out on the shop floor so I don't have my 32SII with me but the 33s I keep out here and Free42 both handle the pi key the same way you do. That is whatever is in the x-register is bumped up the stack to the y-register and the x-register hold 3.1416.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    As a personal request, could you make the displayed number bolder, larger, or easier to read. For realism of the early LCD's the current display is actually easier to read! The keys are easy for me to read.
    +1 on "emboldening", or otherwise increasing readability of the output. Since the keys will eventually be memorized through use, they're not so much a problem.

Regarding stack manipulator keys: I think all the HP calcs I've ever had give direct key access to "x<>y" and "rolldown". I see you have x<>y, but it's shifted, and I don't see the stack rolldown key. I'd like to propose direct access to both.

Out of curiosity, is there a certain HP keyboard you're emulating here? At first I thought it was an HP41, but it's definitely not that.

I'm really liking what you've got here -- thanks!

Regards,
    Tom