Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So there is all this talk about how the pre doesn't have a decent sized App store, which i think is ridiculous since the phone just came out. I mean give it time, you know. Then I was on Boy Genius Report and saw that the App store for Apple turns 1 this week....so there wasn't even an app store when the iPhone came out???? Is that what this means? I'm not so informed about all this stuff so I'd like to know. If that's the case then everyone that is complaining about the Pre's app store being slim should keep quiet if there was not an app store when the iphone came out...

Could someone please clarify this for me???

Thanks!
    Different times. Two years then does not equal two years now
    Correct. There was no app store for the iPhone until about a year after its initial launch.
    to me its not about when the iphone came out
    its about how it set the bar to another level.
    any phone that expects to compete in the the smart phone industry has to reach that level. i will not wait for a phone to grow a year to get video or for a app atore now would you?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dparker131 View Post
    So there is all this talk about how the pre doesn't have a decent sized App store, which i think is ridiculous since the phone just came out. I mean give it time, you know. Then I was on Boy Genius Report and saw that the App store for Apple turns 1 this week....so there wasn't even an app store when the iPhone came out???? Is that what this means? I'm not so informed about all this stuff so I'd like to know. If that's the case then everyone that is complaining about the Pre's app store being slim should keep quiet if there was not an app store when the iphone came out...

Thanks!
    You're right. The original Iphone did NOT have an App store. You had to jailbreak it to add apps, or use their crummy web apps. They opened the App store when they released the 3G. But, I think they released the SDK in advance, so developers had a head start.

But, yes, it's only been 1 year of the app store.
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Thanks!
    No there was not an app store when the first generation of iPhone/iPod Touch was released. There also wasn't any SDK. The initial way of creating apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch was via hosted web apps. However, the homebrew market kicked off pretty early with jailbroken iphones/ipods and sort of forced Apples hand in a sense (like saying "hey, take my money please")

The SDK was announced back in February 2008 and was provided to select partners in late Feb. early March and then later released to the public. The iTunes App Store started getting loaded with apps on May 30th 2008, starting with 5 apps. Over the next 40 days an addition 600+ apps were loaded into the catalog and then the store opened July 10th 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    any phone that expects to compete in the the smart phone industry has to reach that level. i will not wait for a phone to grow a year to get video or for a app atore now would you?
    Yes. Otherwise, you're telling me its pointless to buy a new phone unless its an iPhone/Android/Windows Mobile device, all of which don't meet my needs like the Pre does. I can wait, webOS isn't going away.
    Face it, no matter what people are going to complain. Palm has attracted many new customers with this device and many of them are in the younger, "got to have it now", generation.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9.    #9  
    i have the pre now, so the importance of having an app store isn't there for me. but it's just funny to me that they say how lacking the app store is for a phone that just came out. to me it make sense that the app store is not as developed...yet! i love my pre, so that's all that matters and i think it's only going to get better!
    I really think by the holiday season we'll be seeing an abundance (not the same levels as the iPhone) of quality applications. I'm not that gaga over application but look forward to ones that could be cool and helpful. I currently use Pandora, Accuweather, Where, Stock Ticker, Today Show and the Baseball app. Nice, pretty cool and useful. I know everyone seems to want want want, but I think if we get the quality Palm is aiming for versus the quanity, it'll all be for the better for us. In addition, when Flash support comes along this fall, it opens up even more doors, especially on the gaming front. Regardless, I am very happy with my Pre and what is aspires to be and don't mind growing with it as long as it can grow at a decent pace. Besides, in a year when I qualify for the next upgrade, just think of what the next version of this phone might be like!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    any phone that expects to compete in the the smart phone industry has to reach that level. i will not wait for a phone to grow a year to get video or for a app store now would you?
    To a degree you're correct. The problem is that a new product is not going to be able to start day one with 50,000 apps. So that bar is unachievable. There's also a challenge of getting partners to sign up to create the apps. And I don't mean mom and pop shops. You want the likes of EA and other big development shops. Those big shops are going to be hesitant until the platform and market are solid. That's why we haven't seen a flood of apps just yet. As much as the independent developers and homebrew people want to jump in, Palm is saving their resources for larger firms with more brand recognition and staying power.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    All I know is if I don't get a fart app for my Pre soon I'm gonna have to turn it back in
    Quote Originally Posted by verno329 View Post
    All I know is if I don't get a fart app for my Pre soon I'm gonna have to turn it back in
    The deal breaker for me would be a lack of "giggly boobs" or a "kazoo" app. there's just too much fun to be had to waste time fiddling with my super sleek multi-tasking, synergy using, ultra capable pre
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    yea i remember you had to jail break the phone to get a freaking level on the phone. it was more ghetto then the pre is now.
    i would say there are maybe 500 real apps on the iphone. the remainder are the equivalent to 'fart apps' pointless **** you open once show a friend and then eats up memory on your phone.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    If that's the case then everyone that is complaining about the Pre's app store being slim should keep quiet if there was not an app store when the iphone came out...
    Would you be okay with buying a new car that didn't have windshield wipers seatbelts simply because "The first cars didn't have them"? You don't judge products based on WHEN they were released, you judge them based one how they stack up right now.

BTW, can we have a ban on mentioning "Fart Apps" every time an app discussion comes up? I agree that only a tiny percentile of Apps are useful, but even if noly 1% of their catalog is useful then it's still an enormous amount compared to the 29 we got (so far... where's that rumored flood of apps coming out this week?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Would you be okay with buying a new car that didn't have windshield wipers seatbelts simply because "The first cars didn't have them"? You don't judge products based on WHEN they were released, you judge them based one how they stack up right now.

BTW, can we have a ban on mentioning "Fart Apps" every time an app discussion comes up? I agree that only a tiny percentile of Apps are useful, but even if noly 1% of their catalog is useful then it's still an enormous amount compared to the 29 we got (so far... where's that rumored flood of apps coming out this week?)
    Completely useless comparison. A more valid one would be something like Windows 3.0, came out, and what could you do with it besides what was included? It didn't get software overnight. Hell, first year model cars don't even have all the bugs worked out.
    There has been no smartphone that has come out with a developed app store. Yet, somehow, they still grow and compete. Palm will be no different. BB isn't going anywhere and neither are some of the other players for awhile. Different strokes for different folks.

Palm has about 6 months to have a few decent apps to fill the huge gaps. After that, it's just gravy. Every cool app on the iPhone need not come to the Pre for success. Just enough to entice those looking for something different (Synergy, Multitasking, Form Factor, PRICE!!!) to come over and stay awhile.

You don't need to be better at everything, just a few important things.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I, for one, will not get the Pre until there is at least tethering (and its reported kinks get ironed out)

I think an Apps Store is essential for any new phone. Everything is competing with today's iPhone--not the first generation iPhone.
    My Pre tether's just fine, no kinks

BTW, iPhone supports tethering, but you're not gonna get it until one of 2 things happen: AT&T supports it, or you move to europe/canada.
    Now we both know that's not a legitimate comparison. The phone does everything it was advertised to do with the apps it has now. A better comparison would be buying a car that doesn't have the add on spoiler or the sunroof available yet.

The truth is any computer is purchased with some faith that there will be new (or updated) applications for it.

Only if the ban includes not mentioning "50,000". After all, the two terms are related. Fart Apps is used to exlempify the fact that many (probably the majority) of those 50,000 are useless.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast