Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    i would say there are maybe 500 real apps on the iphone. the remainder are the equivalent to 'fart apps' pointless **** you open once show a friend and then eats up memory on your phone.
    Can you please explain your logic behind this estimate. I dare say there is a better selection of high quality apps available for the iPhone in 1 years time than is available for windows mobile and Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    It doesn't matter that the iPhone didn't have an app store for 1 year. Like it or not, the v1 Pre is competing an v3 iPhone that has a solid app store with 50,000 applications.

It's unrealistic to expect that the Palm's app store competes with Apple's app store's current content, but the Apple app store did have several hundred applications 1 month after launch, and the Palm app store has only 30.

If Palm takes 6 - 8 months to get both webOS and the Pre app store to a point where they're solid, that will put Palm at a big disadvantage. By that point, it will only be a few more months until the 4g Iphone, Blackberry will have the Storm 2 out, and there will be multiple Android phones (on multiple carriers) running a very solid 1.5 OS. In fact, if Sprint gets that HTC Hero Android phone, it could replace the Pre as the best smart phone in the lineup (HTC did a very nice job supplementing Android with their own functionality)

I certainly understand that Palm doesn't want to mass release the SDK until they know it's solid and I'm hoping that since the SDK was expanded to a much wider group of developers, we'll be seeing some applications soon. Also, Palm needs to work out a payment system before we see the best applications in the app store.

I'm hopeful that Palm will get on the ball because I'm just past my 30 day return period, so I'm stuck with the Pre now !
    These posts about Palm needing to have 1000s of apps in its app store right now are just funny. If a app store is what sells you on a phone you would have known months before the Pre was released that it wouldn't be right for you right out of the gate.

I just don't get people who complain about lack of apps in an app store for the Pre or that Palm has to compete right now with Apple's 50,000 apps. How in the world could they? They couldn't. Even when Apple released its SDK last year the store only had 600 apps when it officially opened. It takes time to build up. 50k apps aren't going to appear overnight.

If apps are going to make or break your experience with a phone you should not be with the Pre and complaining about lack of apps.

Its like a girlfriend; You know her faults but at the end of the day you can choose to either be with her or move on to someone else. Its up to you to determine if she is right for you and that decision may be based on more than just one element.
    Last edited by playboy; 07/07/2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This is all part of the magical thinking that says that Palm will eventually have way fewer apps than the iPhone but these will undoubtedly be only the good ones. Kind of like how waiting until June to release the Pre will ensure that they will get everything right: hardware, battery life, all the iPhone features, and no crashes.
    I hope this is the reason. I am soooooooo sick of my iPhone friend sending me info on all the new cool or useless apps the fruit phone has. Yes I am envious on some, and I hope Pre owners will have new toys in the catalog soon. My concern was looking at the classic apps. I know they are from a different gen but they were, plain. I am excited seeing what the homebrew folks are doing. I wish I had the skills to produce like that. Everyone say wait wait wait. And I will. I was using a sanyo flip waiting on the Pre. Waiting on apps owning a Pre makes it a little better.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I'm excited about future apps exploding in number; and until then I just have to hold onto my gonads and strife.
    this is some good info... i get attacked by all these iphanboys about apps, and i knew when the app store was available, b/c of friends and coworkers w/ iphones... they try to prod and tease b/c the pre app store only have 30 apps vs however many they have, but i forgot that there were 18 available day of release, way more than apple had for 1 year
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    If Palm announced that the Pre would be available on 6/6/09 and the App Catalog would open on 9/6/09, then none of this would be even discussed. People would realize that it takes a while for developers to make applications and get them approved. But since Palm made the App Catalog available in beta right away, people like to knock the beta App Catalog like it's the grand opening of a SUPER "BLOW YOUR MIND" MEGASTORE!
    App store circling jerking is one of my least favorite "fads" of the mobile world.

Say what apps you want and not MORE APPS MORE APPS.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Face it, no matter what people are going to complain. Palm has attracted many new customers with this device and many of them are in the younger, "got to have it now", generation.
    The 'Got to have it now' generation. Combine that with the 'Hype Machine' and you got yourself lots of $$$. Lol. I'm hoping the Pre doesn't end up like many of the other products that are sold primarily by exploiting those tools.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Face it, no matter what people are going to complain. Palm has attracted many new customers with this device and many of them are in the younger, "got to have it now", generation.
    Yeah, but what about the older, crotchity, "damnit, where are all the apps so I can use this phone?!" generation?

/off the lawn, kids
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    There may be 50,000 apps for the iPhone, but how many are "fart" apps??
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Now we both know that's not a legitimate comparison. The phone does everything it was advertised to do with the apps it has now. A better comparison would be buying a car that doesn't have the add on spoiler or the sunroof available yet.

The truth is any computer is purchased with some faith that there will be new (or updated) applications for it.

Only if the ban includes not mentioning "50,000". After all, the two terms are related. Fart Apps is used to exlempify the fact that many (probably the majority) of those 50,000 are useless.
    I think his comparison was completely valid. He wasn't complaining about the lack of apps, just that saying "Well, the iPhone didn't have an app store for over a year!" is not a valid comparison between the Pre and iPhone. The Pre is competing against the current iPhone software and hardware, not two year old software.
    Actually, it's potential customers who keep saying that the Pre is competing with the iPhone. Developers write apps. Apple didn't write the 50K apps that are available to the iphone.

New Pre owners knew about the iPhone app store when they bought their Pres and didn't buy the iPhone. So if there was a competition, iPhone already lost the competition to get the new Pre owners. Pre owners didn't select the iPhone and they had three years to make the choice.

It's possible that Pre owners, who aren't previous iPhone users just don't want to be with AT & T, but I've also seen post about people not wanting to be with Apple. Thus, there are reasons for everyone's individual choices and unless iPhone became the only smartphone available, they simply aren't going to get all smartphone users.

Once people discover other smartphones that they like, such as Blackberry, Pre, Android, etc they'll be even less chance.

Palm has chosen Sprint, but allowed consumers to know that the exclusivity expires in approximately 6 months. Thus, many consumers interested in the Pre are not leaving their current carrier if they're happy with their carrier's service.

So far, Sprint and Palm are doing things right. They just have to take keep their eye on their strategy w/o being distracted by things that aren't part of their purview, such as Apps.

I for one, do not want them to lose focus. I want them to develop the webOS, perfect it, and put out more phones with webOS. I want some of their major developers from Palm OS to write similar apps for webOS, but I don't expect it overnight.

For Palm to get investors, they had more than a phone and webOS, they'd have to have a well-thought out business plan that investors believed was viable. Let's see what it is and concentrate on the phone itself not apps that developers will write.
    oh my god, give it up with the fart apps line... so lame if that's all you got to say all the time. if you dont want to see the apps that are available and the fact that many are and many will be coming from QUALITY developers, that's up to you dude.

Quote Originally Posted by dbgod View Post
    There may be 50,000 apps for the iPhone, but how many are "fart" apps??
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
    I think his comparison was completely valid. He wasn't complaining about the lack of apps, just that saying "Well, the iPhone didn't have an app store for over a year!" is not a valid comparison between the Pre and iPhone. The Pre is competing against the current iPhone software and hardware, not two year old software.
    Yeah, and if the Pre has to take all of the iPhone's sales away to be successful, then that matters. Or if everybody who buys a Pre (or any phone for that matter) only does so for the apps, then that matters. Or if all you can do is think in context of the iPhone, then that matters.

I suspect if you ask the vast majority of people on here if the main reason for their purchase was the prospect of 50,000 apps they'd say no. Or if you asked if they'd rather have 50,000 apps just to "compete" with the iPhone, or a simply a decent number of solid apps, they'd choose the latter. I, for one, could give a crap if there are EVER that many apps for the Pre.

It obviously takes time to develop and solidify a base and get an SDK out the door. Just like gravity, things are going to fall when they can. Somehow Apple gets a pass because they went through this process a year ago?? Comparing the amount of time it takes one company to develop an OS and SDK against what it took another company to do the same is absolutely a valid comparison.

You've got people on the one hand saying the OS is half-baked, and out of the other side of their mouths that there should already be an SDK out for said half-baked software.

Maybe, just maybe, everything in life doesn't have to happen instantaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Yeah, and if the Pre has to take all of the iPhone's sales away to be successful, then that matters. Or if everybody who buys a Pre (or any phone for that matter) only does so for the apps, then that matters. Or if all you can do is think in context of the iPhone, then that matters.

I suspect if you ask the vast majority of people on here if the main reason for their purchase was the prospect of 50,000 apps they'd say no. Or if you asked if they'd rather have 50,000 apps just to "compete" with the iPhone, or a simply a decent number of solid apps, they'd choose the latter. I, for one, could give a crap if there are EVER that many apps for the Pre.

It obviously takes time to develop and solidify a base and get an SDK out the door. Just like gravity, things are going to fall when they can. Somehow Apple gets a pass because they went through this process a year ago?? Comparing the amount of time it takes one company to develop an OS and SDK against what it took another company to do the same is absolutely a valid comparison.

You've got people on the one hand saying the OS is half-baked, and out of the other side of their mouths that there should already be an SDK out for said half-baked software.

Maybe, just maybe, everything in life doesn't have to happen instantaneously.
    I have no idea why you quoted me. I never said anything about the number of apps available for the Palm Pre. I was strictly saying his comparison made sense in that it's an essential component of today's smartphone to have an App Store/Catalog/Market.

People here are trying to talk about how the iPhone didn't even have an App Store when it launched and the guy (and me) simply pointed out that you can't try an compare the Pre to a two year old/three generation old phone. The Pre has to compete in today's market, which seems to require an App Store/Market/Catalog.
    People here are trying to talk about how the iPhone didn't even have an App Store when it launched and the guy (and me) simply pointed out that you can't try an compare the Pre to a two year old/three generation old phone. The Pre has to compete in today's market, which seems to require an App Store/Market/Catalog.
    It's not about comparing the phone, it's comparing the process of developing an SDK to get that App store going. And at this point in time, it doesn't appear that any company has discovered how to do that instantaneously.

It's like buying a new Tesla and then complaining you can't get as many aftermarket parts as you can for a Civic right away. Or assuming that the Tesla can't be as successful without the sheer number of aftermarket parts as the Civic, now or in the future. Or that the Tesla has to take away most of the Civic sales to be considered successful.

I just don't buy it.
    Problem is not if Iphone had this or not. Problem is Palm had years. They all saw iphone issues that they could have capitalize if they learned. Palm should have released beta SDK in January even in beta phase and should have released full version on launch. They are making same mistake Apple did at launch of delaying SDK. Apple had advantage of no direct competition in a sense. But Palm do. I am more scared of Android at this point. Its open, it has big backing of big name companies & its more open than WebOS for now. Android is more polished now than when G1 was launched and many smartphones are coming in few weeks.
    At this point I just want dev community to hack the hell out of WebOS and make their own store so Palm learn a bitter lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    It's not about comparing the phone, it's comparing the process of developing an SDK to get that App store going. And at this point in time, it doesn't appear that any company has discovered how to do that instantaneously.

It's like buying a new Tesla and then complaining you can't get as many aftermarket parts as you can for a Civic right away. Or assuming that the Tesla can't be as successful without the sheer number of aftermarket parts as the Civic, now or in the future. Or that the Tesla has to take away most of the Civic sales to be considered successful.

I just don't buy it.
    You're not even reading my posts are you? I don't care how many applications are available for the Palm Pre.

I'm saying that it's not a valid comparison to try and say "the iPhone didn't even have an App Store for a year!" Those people are trying to justify the number of applications (which I think is fine considering the SDK is not public yet), not me.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I agree 100%. The reality of the current market is that you need a decent app store to compete with not only the iPhone, but also Android, Blackberry, and Nokia. I'll go as far as to say that webOS exceeds the v1 iPhone and v1 Android. However, that statement is meaningless, as the Pre is competing with a v3 iPhone and a v1.5 Android.

While webOS is just a significant update from being very solid (and it already has some features that just are not available with any other mobile OS), The app store really is lagging behind with just 30 apps 1 month after the device has been released. I don't think Sprint needs to populate the App store with hundreds or thousands of apps. I think that if Sprint had another 50 or so good applications (ex: Facebook, Documents To Go), it would compete quite nicely with every other platform.

Though I think Palm should have been better prepared with the SDK, an issue that is just as significant is the fact the Palm does not have a payment method for applications. I know from my experiences with the Android market that we won't see the best apps until there is a method of paying within the Pre app store.

In the end, lack of an immediately polished product is the cost of being an early adapter. The advantage (at least to me) is that you get to have an influence (no matter how small) in making the OS more solid by toying around with the device and posting your experiences in forums like this. I think that Palm has done a decent (not good, not great) job of providing a solid experience to early adapters

I made the choice to stick with the Pre based solely upon the potential of webOS. It has some amazing features now and I'm hoping that Palm will push out a significant OS update (I don't think 1.02 - 1.04 has significant improvements) by the end of the summer. I'm also hoping that Palm continues to enhance it's early availability SDK program and have a very solid app store when the SDK is released into the wild at the end of the summer.

If it gets to the end of the year and we're still talking about Pre battery life, signal strength and lack of applications then I think Palm will be in some trouble.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12