Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Also, I dont understand why you show a /dev/mapper/store-var thats linked to /opt. Thats not right, the only thing you want mapped to /opt is /dev/mapper/store-optmedia, then the symlink from /var/usr/palm.applications to /opt.
    I followed the instructions to a TEE... that is what I get.. how do I UNDO it..????

Here's my current df stats. I just tried to install music remix and got the install error As you can see, none of the partitions are over 50%..
    So even fixing this may still not resolve the issue...

ALSO, on a side note... I can no longer ssh using putty to my pre... i can still go into developer mode and access it that way... Weird what may have changed? again.. i went step by step... no other issues.. except i can see all the jpgs from the apps that are now in media... folder.... maybe I didnt clean up the folders good enough before cp.... hrrmmm... i must play with this a bit.....
    Well, because it didnt fix it, I wanted my space back in the media/internal for mp3's so I just reset my phone using the WebOSDoctor. I dont know how to undo all of these changes I have done over the past few days and its not that hard to reset the phone so I chose to do that.

I have still been working on why adding more space didnt fix the issue. It has to a log file or something is filling up somewhere else. I am really hoping that Palm will address this issue in a future update and make all apps use the space that resides on /media/internal. It just doesnt make sense to limit the amount of apps you can have when thats exactly what this phone was built for.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I have the same problem and all of this technical jarrgin is WAY over my head and if I tried it I'd probably only succeed in screwing up my phone even more. With that said my only 2 options are deal with the problem or use webOSdoctor and do a hard reset.

With the latter option will I still experience the problem if I only down load Pre apps from the Pre app store or is this a problem because of the alterations made to the phone to allow homebrew apps to be installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    I have the same problem and all of this technical jarrgin is WAY over my head and if I tried it I'd probably only succeed in screwing up my phone even more.
    Ditto. Would love to hear if anyone has a solution that does not require rooting. Someone in another post said that the Palm rep indicated that they will fix this, but who knows...
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I just asked Palm a question on their twitter feed about this problem. They said that they have placed these memory constraints on different areas (like apps, media files and so on) and that they would like feed back abou this issue and that they might address it.

So, it doesn't look like an issue with Filecoaster/homebrew apps but A pre issue. I'm thinking about looking a Preware which is supposed to work differently then Filecoaster or the Pre app store in that it adds apps by going around these built in constraints.
    I was installing some apps from the App Catalog and Hombrew Apps on my Pre and it says i have no more memory. How is that possible when my pre says I have 6.6 gigs left? Help...I want to install more cool apps, i only have like 20!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I think homebrewing messes with something not sure,, but what I am sure is this question has been address NUMEROUS times if we only search.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    I just asked Palm a question on their twitter feed about this problem. They said that they have placed these memory constraints on different areas (like apps, media files and so on) and that they would like feed back abou this issue and that they might address it.

So, it doesn't look like an issue with Filecoaster/homebrew apps but A pre issue. I'm thinking about looking a Preware which is supposed to work differently then Filecoaster or the Pre app store in that it adds apps by going around these built in constraints.
    Why on God's green Earth would Palm intentionally put this kind of limit on the phone? Does that strikeanyone else here as a little...well...idiotic? I mean, it was one thing to know that the phone was going to be limited to 7GB for user space, but then to find out that you can't even use all of that space is a little bit maddening.
    PLZ HELP!

I can't figure out why my "available memory" is constantly stuck at 1.0 G. I added some movies last night but removed them from the pre this morning but it still remains at 1.0G available. also deleted some apps that I wasnt using and it still says 1.0G. Tried reseting the pre a few times and still the same reading.

Any ideas on why this is happening? I don't want to have to reset the phone...
    Googbye dkLightsaber, mutliple IP apps, multiple tip calculators, so much for testing and comparing.

I have a feeling Palm will address this issue in a future release.
    Pure speculation but perhaps they put the limit in for the mere fact that the app catalog is still beta. When the catalog is no longer beta, which as far as i can tell from posts here seems to be fall sometime, perhaps then the fix will be made to repartition the space on the pre.

Here is a recommendation. An app out there that allows you to choose your size for the re-partition. So that way the people who dont use that many apps and use the phone for music and pictures, which means you should just get a different phone, can partition it for minimal space for apps and maximum space for music, and that way the people who use the phone for apps only can partition like 4 gb for apps and the other 3 gb for music and pics. Just an idea. This would be awesome.
    Last edited by slinkster213; 08/30/2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgo123 View Post
    my pre is NOT rooted, but i do have some homebrew stuff on there and I got this error the other day with only 2 browser cards open (nothing else at all)
    Mine is not rooted, either, and I can't download new apps - despite having deleted them other apps, first.

I've seen people refer to apparent fixes for ROOTED Pre's, but not for non-rooted ones.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    From what I understand if you install homebrew apps using Preware or WebOS Quick Install this out of memory problem is not an issue. This works for rooted or non-rooted Pre's
    Quote Originally Posted by nsnasser View Post
    From what I understand if you install homebrew apps using Preware or WebOS Quick Install this out of memory problem is not an issue. This works for rooted or non-rooted Pre's
    Appreciated, but small comfort for those of us who've already used other installation methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Appreciated, but small comfort for those of us who've already used other installation methods.
    Not to be rude, but are you honestly saying you'd rather stick with the "not enough memory" error, rather than use WebOS Quick Install on your computer (or Preware on your device)? I had no idea my product was such an offending idea, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Not to be rude, but are you honestly saying you'd rather stick with the "not enough memory" error, rather than use WebOS Quick Install on your computer (or Preware on your device)? I had no idea my product was such an offending idea, lol
    I interpreted the comment to mean the problem didn't occur if one used WebOS install, exclusively. Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't see where offense enters the picture.

Either way, it is a concern that the error exists, at all - especially for Palm App Catalog programs, which I figured are not meant to be installed by any method besides over-the-air.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Either way, it is a concern that the error exists, at all - especially for Palm App Catalog programs, which I figured are not meant to be installed by any method besides over-the-air.
    Yea, it is a concern. It's almost certainly a bug based off the information I have. The alternative to using Palms installNoVerify command (which gives the memory error) is to install the app directly via ipkg, which I believe gets around the bug. Currently only WebOS Quick Install use direct ipkg commands, though really anyone can just use the "ipkg -o /var install <file>.ipk" to install an app.

I wonder if it'd be possible to patch the App Catalog app to use WebOS-Internal's Package Manager Service so even appcatalog downloaded apps world avoid that error
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Currently only WebOS Quick Install use direct ipkg commands, though really anyone can just use the "ipkg -o /var install <file>.ipk" to install an app.
    The WebOS Internals Package Manager Service also just runs ipkg -o /var commands underneath the hood.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The WebOS Internals Package Manager Service also just runs ipkg -o /var commands underneath the hood.

-- Rod
    oops, yea, forgot about Preware, my bad, it'd been a long day here, lol
    i just got the same message .. i have 4.1 gb of memory left i tried to download an app and it came up sayin not enough install space .. is there a limit on what we can have on our pre now ..
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast