Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Homebrew APPS are not installed in the general drive. They are installed in a partition that only has 240ish megabytes. The limit is because of the way homebrew apps have to be installed now, not because of Palm. Official apps are not installed in the same partition as the homebrew apps
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I see, thank you for explaining. Might this parameter be, *ahem*, unofficially modifiable? (wouldn't THAT be a potentially useful Homebrew app, like DevMode, FileCoaster, PreLoad, PimpMySounds, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    I see, thank you for explaining. Might this parameter be, *ahem*, unofficially modifiable? (wouldn't THAT be a potentially useful Homebrew app, like DevMode, FileCoaster, PreLoad, PimpMySounds, etc.)
    Not really. If the homebrew guys found a way to install it in the main partition I"m sure they would have done it by now. Reallocating memory to this partition probably wouldn't be the best idea either.
    Update: I haven't had time to work on this lately. For right now, someone else will probably have to pick up the project on Gitorious until my personal matters are resolved, since I'll be busy with school very soon.

If Rod wouldn't mind, I'd like to nominate him to port over the bash to Java using his elite Java skills. Again, this is the script that needs to be put into the service. No rush on it Rod. I know you've done more than your share of the work here. The reason I'm not so concerned with this project is because I have no real need for it myself at the moment. No worries if you never get around to it, because I may be able to pick it up again in the future.

Anyone else who wants to have a go at it can feel free! It's all on Gitorious.
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/15/2009 at 03:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Not really. If the homebrew guys found a way to install it in the main partition I"m sure they would have done it by now. Reallocating memory to this partition probably wouldn't be the best idea either.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this all to me, I really appreciate it. But with what you've explained, I'm now confused all over again. As you are probably already aware, last night, Friday 8/14, 3 new apps were added to the catalog (Echo, Spades, and Lights Out). I was able to dl one; the other two respond with "Sorry, Not Enough Memory."

Since the catalog pickings have been pretty slim thus far, I obviously have far more Homebrew apps installed than from the Catalog; I guess I'm currently at the limit for both. If Catalog and Homebrew apps install to separate partitions, is the Catalog's partition even smaller than Homebrew's? I'm showing 7.1gb available, but none available for apps. I will likely never put much music, if any, on the phone, I prefer my iPod for that. As it stands, nearly 90% of the device's memory remains unused, but not available. Shouldn't the user be able to allocate storage to suit his/her own needs? Thanks again.
    I have no music on my phone just like 20 odd homebrew apps and its giving me a "install failed: not enough install space". Deleted cookies, cache, browing history, uneeded texts and pictures... Still the same. Any suggestions?
    How many total apps do you have (combination of homebrew and "official apps"). I believe there is a 60 app limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintRep1 View Post
    I have no music on my phone just like 20 odd homebrew apps and its giving me a "install failed: not enough install space". Deleted cookies, cache, browing history, uneeded texts and pictures... Still the same. Any suggestions?
    Yep. Palm has a built in memory limit for applications. Current work-around is to use symlink, load ad unload via USB, but it is buggy. There is really no good solution to the problem at the moment.

Palm will likely increase the memory to match their expanded app catalog - whenever that is. Until then, you have to delete the less "useful" apps.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Alright, yeah I figured that after I deleted a few I just downloaded for no reason and it let me install more. Thanks for the help anyway though, it'll be nice when then increase the limit
    wow.. thats really stupid.

I know that they were not expecting soo many homebrew apps.

I love my pre but it really seems like web OS was not complete when they released it.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    what does this mean, and how do you get to it? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The question for you all is, do you have Classic and many PalmOS apps installed? If so, you may not need to go to all this trouble to clear up space.

After some back and forth with MotionApps, I found out that all the Classic PalmOS apps and all related pdb files (e.g. books in iSilo) are stored in the same place as the other apps on the Pre. This is probably a major cause of the "app space" errors so many people are getting. They recommended that I clear space by moving pdb files to the "virtual SD card" in Classic. Unfortunately, that causes an error (blue screen) when you try to read those books in iSilo, so you can't read them anymore (might as well delete them). By moving a couple really big files and leaving the rest on the "internal" drive, I was able to download more apps with no more "out of space" errors.

MotionApps told me they are releasing ("soon") a new version of Classic that will store all of the PalmOS apps and their supporting pdb files in a different folder than the other apps. Then we'll be able to keep all the pdb files on the "Internal" drive of Classic without taking up any app space and avoiding the blue screen errors.

This will be an actual solution to the app space problem for anyone using Classic apps.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Do you have Classic and many PalmOS apps installed (or just a few apps, but alot of pdb's)? If so the solution to this app space problem may be simple.

After some back and forth with MotionApps, I found out that all the Classic PalmOS apps and all related pdb files (e.g. books in iSilo) are stored in the same place as the other apps on the Pre. This is probably a major cause of the "app space" errors so many people are getting. They recommended that I clear space by moving pdb files to the "virtual SD card" in Classic. Unfortunately, that causes an error (blue screen) when you try to read those books in iSilo, so you can't read them anymore (might as well delete them). By moving a couple really big files and leaving the rest on the "internal" drive, I was able to download more apps with no more "out of space" errors.

MotionApps told me they are releasing ("soon") a new version of Classic that will store all of the PalmOS apps and their supporting pdb files in a different folder than the other apps. Then we'll be able to keep all the pdb files on the "Internal" drive of Classic without taking up any app space and avoiding the blue screen errors.

This will probably solve the app space problem for anyone using Classic apps.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Do you have Classic and many PalmOS apps installed (or just a few apps, but alot of pdb's)? If so the solution to this app space problem may be simple.

This will probably solve the app space problem for anyone using Classic apps.
    Thanks, RoboCAD. Most posts on this topic (see other threads, like "Sorry-not-enough-memory") have focused on how many homebrew apps, whether you've rooted the Pre, etc., and I don't have any homebrew / haven't rooted, yet. I had a suspicion that my issue had to do with Classic and what I had installed there (dictionary; bible; dx2go). I'll look for the update to Classic.
    Here is how I fixed my space issue with not being able to install more apps. Rooting is definately required and this is not for the faint of heart. Also, I highly recommend backing up everything in the /media/internals directory before doing this.

If you are having issues with space and installing new apps saying there is not enough space, you may want to change the

Just an FYI of the destination of where the files are installed:

Palm apps are here: /usr/palm/applications

Homebrew apps are here: /var/usr/palm/applications/

Here are the directions on how to create a new 1Gigabyte volume, mount it, and create a symlink from /var/usr/palm/applications/ to the new directory:

1. Make the root filesystem writeable, so that we may make some minimal changes to it:

rootfs_open -w

2. The first thing we want to do is resize the existing /media/internal LV

lvresize -L -1G /dev/mapper/store-media # It will ask you to confirm - say y.

3. Now we will create the new optmedia LV

lvcreate -l 100%FREE -n optmedia store # Should tell you it was created

4. Now we will place a file system on optmedia

mke2fs -t ext3 -q /dev/store/optmedia # You should'nt get any feedback here from the Pre

5. Now we need to create the /opt directory

mkdir /opt

6. mount the new LV

mount /dev/mapper/store-optmedia /opt

7. Copy existing data over from /media/internal to /opt

cp -a /media/internal/. /opt

8. umount /media/internal

umount /media/internal

9. Recreate the fs on /media/internal

mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/mapper/store-media # Disregard any errors.

10. mount the /media/internal

mount /dev/mapper/store-media

11. Copy data from /opt to /media/internal

cp -a /opt/. /media/internal

12. Ensure it works:

Open the Photos app and see if pictures are displayed. if so, everything went according to plan.

13. Now go to /var/usr/palm/applications

cd /var/usr/palm/applications

14. Now we create a tar file of the applications in the new /opt directory

tar cvf /opt/apps.tar applications

15. Change to the /opt directory

cd /opt

16. Untar the apps.tar file in the /opt directory

tar xvf apps.tar

17. Now delete the old directory with the old applications

rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications

18. Now create a symlink to the aplications in /opt from the old directory

ln -s /opt /var/usr/palm/applications

19. Need to make the mount permanent so that when the phone is rebooted it comes up already mounted

echo '/dev/mapper/store-optmedia /opt ext3 noatime 0 0' >>/etc/fstab

20. Restart Luna or reboot

pkill LunaSysMgr or reboot
    Last edited by viper41086; 08/21/2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by viper41086 View Post
    Here is how I fixed my space issue with not being able to install more apps. Rooting is definately required and this is not for the faint of heart. Also, I highly recommend backing up everything in the /media/internals directory before doing this.

If you are having issues with space and installing new apps saying there is not enough space, you may want to change the

Just an FYI of the destination of where the files are installed:

Palm apps are here: /usr/palm/applications

Homebrew apps are here: /var/usr/palm/applications/

Here are the directions on how to create a new 1Gigabyte volume, mount it, and create a symlink from /var/usr/palm/applications/ to the new directory:

1. Make the root filesystem writeable, so that we may make some minimal changes to it:

rootfs_open -w

2. The first thing we want to do is resize the existing /media/internal LV

lvresize -L -1G /dev/mapper/store-media # It will ask you to confirm - say y.

3. Now we will create the new optmedia LV

lvcreate -l 100%FREE -n optmedia store # Should tell you it was created

4. Now we will place a file system on optmedia

mke2fs -t ext3 -q /dev/store/optmedia # You should'nt get any feedback here from the Pre

5. Now we need to create the /opt directory

mkdir /opt

6. mount the new LV

mount /dev/mapper/store-optmedia /opt

7. Copy existing data over from /media/internal to /opt

cp -a /media/internal/. /opt

8. umount /media/internal

umount /media/internal

9. Recreate the fs on /media/internal

mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/mapper/store-media # Disregard any errors.

10. mount the /media/internal

mount /dev/mapper/store-media

11. Copy data from /opt to /media/internal

cp -a /opt/. /media/internal

12. Ensure it works:

Open the Photos app and see if pictures are displayed. if so, everything went according to plan.

13. Now go to /var/usr/palm/applications

cd /var/usr/palm/applications

14. Now we create a tar file of the applications in the new /opt directory

tar cvf /opt/apps.tar applications

15. Change to the /opt directory

cd /opt

16. Untar the apps.tar file in the /opt directory

tar xvf apps.tar

17. Now delete the old directory with the old applications

rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications

18. Now create a symlink to the aplications in /opt from the old directory

ln -s /opt /var/usr/palm/applications

19. Need to make the mount permanent so that when the phone is rebooted it comes up already mounted

echo '/dev/mapper/store-optmedia /opt ext3 noatime 0 0' >>/etc/fstab

20. Restart Luna or reboot

pkill LunaSysMgr or reboot
    I did this and it let me install a few more apps then i get the same message...

the tmpfs - dev/mapper/var is still over 80%... and not allowing me to install any more apps any suggestions???

the /opt i created is fine and extremely low...... i did EVERY STEP... and it looked great.... now no more apps... thanks for you help...

root@castle:/opt# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 441.7M 379.4M 62.3M 86% /
    /dev/root 31.0M 11.1M 19.9M 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 379.4M 62.3M 86% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 379.4M 62.3M 86% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2.0M 152.0k 1.9M 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 203.0M 45.0M 82% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    38.7M 7.8M 31.0M 20% /var/log
    tmpfs 64.0M 128.0k 63.9M 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 119.6M 0 119.6M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    5.7G 931.0M 4.8G 16% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    1023.6M 164.6M 807.0M 17% /opt
    /dev/mapper/store-optmedia
    1023.6M 164.6M 807.0M 17% /opt
    Hmm,

I am not sure why your /dev/mapper/var is so high still. You did delete everything inside of the applications directory and delete the applications directory itself in /var/usr/palm/ right?

Also, I dont understand why you show a /dev/mapper/store-var thats linked to /opt. Thats not right, the only thing you want mapped to /opt is /dev/mapper/store-optmedia, then the symlink from /var/usr/palm.applications to /opt.

When I deleted the directory then made the symlink, my /var has not once increased with any applications i have installed. Here is what my space looks like:

root@castle:/# df -h
    rootfs 441.7M 377.4M 64.3M 85% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 377.4M 64.3M 85% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 377.4M 64.3M 85% /dev/.static/dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 22.3M 225.7M 9% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    38.7M 5.1M 33.7M 13% /var/log
    tmpfs 64.0M 448.0k 63.6M 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 119.6M 0 119.6M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    5.7G 44.7M 5.6G 1% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-optmedia
    1023.6M 88.0M 883.6M 9% /opt

Now with that said, I too have experienced the Sorry, not enough Memory error again even with this fix. So now I am questioning whether the space in /var/usr/palm/applications ever had anything to do with it. I think in the long run, this fix will help because obviously 248MB isnt enough room for as many apps as everyone would like to be able to run. But I think there is an underlying issue here somewhere and neither I nor anyone else I have found seems to have found what the issue could be. My only thoughts are there is something filling up somewhere that we dont see when we do a df -h. Something like a log or a tmp directory for installing apps.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I did this a few weeks back and as a result have more then 50% free on oth opt and var, but still get out of memorry cannt install errors

-mark

Quote Originally Posted by viper41086 View Post
    Last edited by diomark; 08/23/2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Here's my current df stats. I just tried to install music remix and got the install error As you can see, none of the partitions are over 50%..

Any ideas?
    -mark

root@castle:/var/home/root# df -h
    rootfs 441.7M 220.2M 221.5M 50% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 220.2M 221.5M 50% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 220.2M 221.5M 50% /dev/.static/dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var