Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Run "df -h". Check to see if the VFS is mounted. If the VFS is mounted on "/opt". From the output you posted it appears as if the VFS is not mounted. Please edit /etc/fstab and remove the trailing "/" from "/opt/". The line should now look like:

/media/internal/vfs/optware.img /opt ext3 loop,noatime 1 2

When edits are complete, run "./vfs off". If unmounting succeeds, then run "./vfs on". If mounting succeeds, then edit the "vfs" script and remove the "-x" from the first line.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lnxraider View Post
    Run "df -h". Check to see if the VFS is mounted. If the VFS is mounted on "/opt". From the output you posted it appears as if the VFS is not mounted. Please edit /etc/fstab and remove the trailing "/" from "/opt/". The line should now look like:

/media/internal/vfs/optware.img /opt ext3 loop,noatime 1 2

When edits are complete, run "./vfs off". If unmounting succeeds, then run "./vfs on". If mounting succeeds, then edit the "vfs" script and remove the "-x" from the first line.
    Ha! I knew that trailing / was suspicious! Who would have thought it'd be so simple? Thanks so much. =]

Now we just need to work on that GUI.

I edited the wiki to accommodate for the problem we just solved. No more trailing slash. I also made a note that you have to use the vfs toggle script while /media/internal is not mounted as the USB drive or in media sync. I just found that out. Duh. :P

Anyone who at this point wants to see the current script can go here:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...pt_on_loopback
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/06/2009 at 10:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraBlack View Post
    Ha! I knew that trailing / was suspicious! Who would have thought it'd be so simple? Thanks so much. =]

Now we just need to work on getting that GUI.

I edited the wiki to accommodate for the problem we just solved. No more trailing slash. I also made a note that you have to use the vfs toggle script while /media/internal is not mounted as the USB drive or in media sync. I just found that out. :P duhh
    Most excellent!!! Now on to the GUI...
    Most excellent!!! Now on to the GUI...
    I still say we strip down and modify aonic's My Tether app, given permission....
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...fi-usb-bt.html
    My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - My Tether turns your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!

An older tethering app is out there somewhere too. If I can find it, I'm sure I can get it working with our script. It's just a simple toggle button UI that runs a script with a parameter.

I'm working on modifying aonic's right now.
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/06/2009 at 11:02 AM.
    I'm not making much progress. This is what I've got so far:

Screenshot of App on my Desktop
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/06/2009 at 07:57 PM.
    Nice background... Well except for the M$ logo on the bottom left... lol lol lol

BTW here is the first tether program I came across... However, it does require org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk to be installed to work. The app that the "My Tether" app removes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    That's the one I had started using. It was the first one I found too.
    I'm kind of combining both Raja's first (which is that one), and his latest....

Edit: Here's a screenshot of what I have now/kind of what I think it should look like:

I don't think the buttons are working yet (I have the code there but haven't tested it on my actual Pre). I kind of wanted to use a toggle button (hence the name of the app, Toggle VFS) but it gave me sooo much trouble. I must suck with JavaScript. Actually I know I do.

And anyway I don't yet know how to make the circle spinner loady button things stay on until the operation's done...probably by setting and checking a variable with a loop. It'd just be a matter of implementing it for me, since I literally started learning JavaScript a couple weeks ago. Also need to figure out how to not fake the status of the operation, like I did above.
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/06/2009 at 08:30 PM.
    So apparently a service needs to be written so I can
    Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://org.webosinternals.INSERTSERVICENAMEHERE', {method: 'INSERTMETHODOFSERVICEHERE', parameters: {cmd: '/var/usr/palm/applications/togglevfs/app/scripts/toggle.sh on'}});
    Any suggestions? I think I could use org.webosinternals.shell's runCmd if I knew how to start that shell.
    Why does that serviceRequest() work with Raja K.'s app? I know webosinternals.shell isn't running all the time. That's probably part of why My Tether require rebooting the phone.

Edit: Oohh...the serviceRequest is only present in his first app. His latest has its own service: palm://net.aonic.tether :S
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/06/2009 at 10:00 PM.
    So apparently a service needs to be written so I can
    Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://org.webosinternals.INSERTSERVICENAMEHERE', {method: 'INSERTMETHODOFSERVICEHERE', parameters: {cmd: '/var/usr/palm/applications/togglevfs/app/scripts/toggle.sh on'}});
    Any suggestions? I think I could use org.webosinternals.shell's runCmd if I knew how to start that shell.
    Why does that serviceRequest() work with Raja K.'s app? I know webosinternals.shell isn't running all the time. That's probably part of why My Tether require rebooting the phone.

Edit: Oohh...the serviceRequest is only present in his first app. His latest has its own service: palm://net.aonic.tether :S
    I'll work with ultraBlack to create optloopservice.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'll work with ultraBlack to create optloopservice.

-- Rod
    Thanks buddy.
    BTW here is the first tether program I came across... However, it does require org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk to be installed to work. The app that the "My Tether" app removes.
    Be aware that org.webosinternals.services was a proof of concept which has a *huge* security hole, and was therefore withdrawn from publication (the source is still available in git for those who want to see it, but it's not shown in HEAD).

Now we do very specific services for very specific jobs that don't introduce security holes.

Tree for applications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Most excellent!!! I too am still figuring out the javascript programming. How do you maintain the state of the application? Or better yet. When you first start for instance this app, how do you make the app aware of the status of the VFS (mounted or unmounted)?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I eventually finished the entire process (after a webOS Doctoring). I believe I originally restored using the tar backup once--or maybe not, it might not have even been necessary--but later on mucked I something else up anyway. I feel better having used webOS Doctor. My phone runs better, and I'm a bit more confident in screwing with my phone now. :P

Read my post above, for my reply to your last post, which I had seen first when I read this. I don't have a lot of time here, so I gotta go! I'll check up on things here the next time I can. I hope you can find a solution! *crosses fingers*
    I'm having out of space/memory problems too. I've considered possibly using webos doctor, but I don't know what it will do. Does it remove everything aka hard reset? or do you keep the stuff in your /media/internal (usb drive) directory?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Question: for those of you that have rooted your Pre and are having out of memory when attempting to install apps, how much diskspace are you using? At the command prompt run:

df -h (diskspace utilization)
    df -i (inodes utilization)

The / (root) and /var are the filesystems of interest. You also want to run ipkg list_install to ensure those apps you deleted from the GUI were actually deleted. I deleted "Classic" yet saw it to be still installed when I listed the installed apps and used ipkg to remove the associated packages.
    I too am getting the out of memory error/Install error. I'm a windows guy and do web development with perl/mysql and some on the html/javascript/css side, but linux is a whole new animal for me. I've mucked a bit under the hood in OS X in setting up my perl/mysql development environment on a mac so I have a little bit of 'nix exposure. I've been able to easily follow directions to install things and hack some of the system apps, but I'm in over my head with this out of memory thing.

Here's df -h (diskspace utilization):

Code:
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  441.7M    382.8M     58.9M  87% /
    /dev/root                31.0M     11.1M     19.9M  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    382.8M     58.9M  87% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    382.8M     58.9M  87% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                     2.0M    228.0k      1.8M  11% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    202.2M     45.8M  82% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             38.7M      7.9M     30.8M  20% /var/log
    tmpfs                    64.0M      1.3M     62.7M   2% /tmp
    tmpfs                   119.6M         0    119.6M   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                              6.7G      4.4G      2.3G  66% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    202.2M     45.8M  82% /opt
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    And here's df -i (inodes utilization):

Code:
    root@castle:/# df -i
    df: invalid option -- i
    BusyBox v1.11.2 () multi-call binary

Usage: df [N]

Deallocate unused virtual terminal /dev/ttyN
    I've got a bunch of optware stuff installed some of which runs automatically with my pre - lighttpd, ez-ipupdate and mysql are a few of them, although I think mysql isn't starting automatically when the pre boots, even though I put the startup script where the install instructions said to put it. Also, it looks like I installed some of the homebrew apps using ipkg-opt install so they are showing up with the optware programs and from the phone Launcher>Device Info>More Info>Software they show up under Builti-In Applications and not Downloaded Applications - here's my list generated by 'ipkg-opt list_installed':

Code:
    root@castle:/# ipkg-opt list_installed
    bash - 3.2.49-1 - A bourne style shell
    bzip2 - 1.0.5-1 - Very high-quality data compression program
    carpenterslevel - 0.1.0 -
    com.burnsting.gmbookmarks - 1.0 -
    com.d0lph1nk1ng.dkeightball - 0.7.0 -
    com.geo.cache - 0.0.5 -
    com.joe-hoffman.earthquake - 1.6.0 -
    com.keenstudios.checkers - 1.4.3 -
    com.orbsix.app.playfeedback - 0.0.2 -
    com.palm.app.dgquickcut - 1.0.1 -
    com.palm.drnull.prepod - 0.3.3 -
    com.palm.net.precoder.fcoaster - 1.0.2 -
    com.sambao.app.stopwatchtimer - 0.1.4 -
    com.sgtkwol.gps - 0.6.1 -
    com.snailslug.paint - 0.1 -
    coreutils - 7.4-1 - Bunch of heavyweight *nix core utilities
    cyrus-sasl-libs - 2.1.22-2 - Provides client or server side authentication (see RFC 2222).
    diffutils - 2.8.1-6 - contains gnu diff, cmp, sdiff and diff3 to display differences between and among text files
    dropbear - 0.52-5 - Lightweight SSH client and server system
    e2fslibs - 1.41.8-1 - Ext2 Filesystem Libraries
    expat - 2.0.1-1 - XML Parser library
    ez-ipupdate - 3.0.11b7-1 - A small utility for updating your host name for several dynamic DNS services.
    gdbm - 1.8.3-2 - GNU dbm is a set of database routines that use extensible hashing. It works similar to the standard UNIX dbm routines.
    git - 1.6.3.3-2 -
    libcurl - 7.19.5-1 - Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
    libdb - 4.2.52-3 - Berkeley DB Libraries
    libstdc++ - 6.0.9-6 - Standard C++ library, needed for dynamically linked C++ programs
    libxml2 - 2.7.3-1 - Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed for the Gnome project.
    libxslt - 1.1.24-1 - An XML Stylesheet processor based on libxml2
    lighttpd - 1.4.23-1 - A fast webserver with minimal memory footprint.
    mysql - 4.1.22-3 - Popular free SQL database system
    ncurses - 5.7-1 - NCurses libraries
    ncursesw - 5.7-1 - NCurses libraries with wide char support.
    openldap-libs - 2.3.43-1 - Open Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    openssh - 5.2p1-2 - a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssh-sftp-server - 5.2p1-2 - sftp-server only from a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssl - 0.9.8k-1 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
    org.webosinternals.kaerey.app.mynotification - 0.1.3 -
    patch - 2.5.9-3 - applies a diff to produce a patched file
    pcre - 7.9-1 - Perl-compatible regular expression library
    perl - 5.10.0-3 - Practical Extraction and Report Language.
    perl-dbd-mysql - 4.006-1 - DBD-mysql - The Perl Database Driver for MySQL.
    perl-dbi - 1.607-1 - DBI - The Perl Database Interface by Tim Bunce.
    php - 5.2.10-3 - The php scripting language
    php-fcgi - 5.2.10-3 - The php scripting language, built as an fcgi module
    pretrack - 0.5.0 -
    psmisc - 21.4-1 - A set of some small useful utilities that use the proc filesystem.
    quilt - 0.48-4 - A set of scripts to manage a series of patches.
    rcs - 5.7-2 - The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple revisions of files.
    readline - 6.0-1 - The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
    spawn-fcgi - 1.6.2-1 - spawn-fcgi is used to spawn fastcgi applications
    sudo - 1.7.2-1 - System utility to execute commands as the superuser
    util-linux-ng - 2.15-1 - A suite of essential utilities for any Linux system, this version is a fork of util-linux.
    ws.junk.dotgame - 1.6.0 -
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
    Successfully terminated.
    I guess I could start with ipkg-opt remove to remove all the homebrews I installed with ipkg-opt. Or could I just move those apps to /var/usr/palm/applications?

Then should I try the vfs method to move my /opt files? What do you think is my best course of action? I do use the USB drive mode, so I would want to get a version of the vfs on/off script working for my setup with the services I have running.
    Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I too am getting the out of memory error/Install error. I'm a windows guy and do web development with perl/mysql and some on the html/javascript/css side, but linux is a whole new animal for me. I've mucked a bit under the hood in OS X in setting up my perl/mysql development environment on a mac so I have a little bit of 'nix exposure. I've been able to easily follow directions to install things and hack some of the system apps, but I'm in over my head with this out of memory thing.

Here's df -h (diskspace utilization):

Code:
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  441.7M    382.8M     58.9M  87% /
    /dev/root                31.0M     11.1M     19.9M  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    382.8M     58.9M  87% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    382.8M     58.9M  87% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                     2.0M    228.0k      1.8M  11% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    202.2M     45.8M  82% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             38.7M      7.9M     30.8M  20% /var/log
    tmpfs                    64.0M      1.3M     62.7M   2% /tmp
    tmpfs                   119.6M         0    119.6M   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                              6.7G      4.4G      2.3G  66% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    /dev/mapper/store-var

Code:

I've got a bunch of optware stuff installed some of which runs automatically with my pre - lighttpd, ez-ipupdate and mysql are a few of them, although I think mysql isn't starting automatically when the pre boots, even though I put the startup script where the install instructions said to put it. Also, it looks like I installed some of the homebrew apps using ipkg-opt install so they are showing up with the optware programs and from the phone Launcher>Device Info>More Info>Software they show up under Builti-In Applications and not Downloaded Applications - here's my list generated by 'ipkg-opt list_installed':

Code:
    root@castle:/# ipkg-opt list_installed
    bash - 3.2.49-1 - A bourne style shell
    bzip2 - 1.0.5-1 - Very high-quality data compression program
    carpenterslevel - 0.1.0 -
    com.burnsting.gmbookmarks - 1.0 -
    com.d0lph1nk1ng.dkeightball - 0.7.0 -
    com.geo.cache - 0.0.5 -
    com.joe-hoffman.earthquake - 1.6.0 -
    com.keenstudios.checkers - 1.4.3 -
    com.orbsix.app.playfeedback - 0.0.2 -
    com.palm.app.dgquickcut - 1.0.1 -
    com.palm.drnull.prepod - 0.3.3 -
    com.palm.net.precoder.fcoaster - 1.0.2 -
    com.sambao.app.stopwatchtimer - 0.1.4 -
    com.sgtkwol.gps - 0.6.1 -
    com.snailslug.paint - 0.1 -
    coreutils - 7.4-1 - Bunch of heavyweight *nix core utilities
    cyrus-sasl-libs - 2.1.22-2 - Provides client or server side authentication (see RFC 2222).
    diffutils - 2.8.1-6 - contains gnu diff, cmp, sdiff and diff3 to display differences between and among text files
    dropbear - 0.52-5 - Lightweight SSH client and server system
    e2fslibs - 1.41.8-1 - Ext2 Filesystem Libraries
    expat - 2.0.1-1 - XML Parser library
    ez-ipupdate - 3.0.11b7-1 - A small utility for updating your host name for several dynamic DNS services.
    gdbm - 1.8.3-2 - GNU dbm is a set of database routines that use extensible hashing. It works similar to the standard UNIX dbm routines.
    git - 1.6.3.3-2 -
    libcurl - 7.19.5-1 - Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
    libdb - 4.2.52-3 - Berkeley DB Libraries
    libstdc++ - 6.0.9-6 - Standard C++ library, needed for dynamically linked C++ programs
    libxml2 - 2.7.3-1 - Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed for the Gnome project.
    libxslt - 1.1.24-1 - An XML Stylesheet processor based on libxml2
    lighttpd - 1.4.23-1 - A fast webserver with minimal memory footprint.
    mysql - 4.1.22-3 - Popular free SQL database system
    ncurses - 5.7-1 - NCurses libraries
    ncursesw - 5.7-1 - NCurses libraries with wide char support.
    openldap-libs - 2.3.43-1 - Open Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    openssh - 5.2p1-2 - a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssh-sftp-server - 5.2p1-2 - sftp-server only from a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssl - 0.9.8k-1 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
    org.webosinternals.kaerey.app.mynotification - 0.1.3 -
    patch - 2.5.9-3 - applies a diff to produce a patched file
    pcre - 7.9-1 - Perl-compatible regular expression library
    perl - 5.10.0-3 - Practical Extraction and Report Language.
    perl-dbd-mysql - 4.006-1 - DBD-mysql - The Perl Database Driver for MySQL.
    perl-dbi - 1.607-1 - DBI - The Perl Database Interface by Tim Bunce.
    php - 5.2.10-3 - The php scripting language
    php-fcgi - 5.2.10-3 - The php scripting language, built as an fcgi module
    pretrack - 0.5.0 -
    psmisc - 21.4-1 - A set of some small useful utilities that use the proc filesystem.
    quilt - 0.48-4 - A set of scripts to manage a series of patches.
    rcs - 5.7-2 - The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple revisions of files.
    readline - 6.0-1 - The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
    spawn-fcgi - 1.6.2-1 - spawn-fcgi is used to spawn fastcgi applications
    sudo - 1.7.2-1 - System utility to execute commands as the superuser
    util-linux-ng - 2.15-1 - A suite of essential utilities for any Linux system, this version is a fork of util-linux.
    ws.junk.dotgame - 1.6.0 -
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
    Successfully terminated.
    I guess I could start with ipkg-opt remove to remove all the homebrews I installed with ipkg-opt. Or could I just move those apps to /var/usr/palm/applications?

Then should I try the vfs method to move my /opt files? What do you think is my best course of action? I do use the USB drive mode, so I would want to get a version of the vfs on/off script working for my setup with the services I have running.
    The problem is most likely your /opt, which appears to be about 82% used. (We have all—Pre hackers/users here in general—pretty much narrowed it down to be that.) The Pre won't allow you to install anymore software if that /opt partition is over somewhere around 70% used. I anticipated that this would happen to users like you (and you're exactly a user like me), and that's why I took on the task of creating this GUI.

If you don't mind not having your Media Sync and USB modes working for a few days (possibly a week, or maybe only a day), then you can create the VFS and I will work hard to get my OptLoopService out that will re-enable them. Keep in mind, though, that this requires you to install both this service and my app onto your device, and furthermore will require you to unmount the VFS using the app every time you want to use Media Sync or USB. I have been working with those in #webos-internals most of the day getting this service to work, and I think that once it does what it is supposed to do, my app (Toggle VFS) will be able to interface with it and re-enable Media Sync and USB for you.

Alternatively, you can also wait to install any new official applications from Palm's App Catalog (or too many new Optware packages) until I can get this thing out the door.

The eventual goal of my app is for it to create the VFS automatically for you! But this is a goal staged long in the future. I'm not exactly sure if it's even possible without introducing a slew security holes. Until that feature is fully operable, you'll have to perform 1lnxraider's tutorial yourself, and use my Toggle VFS app to re-enable Media Sync and USB -- and whatever else might happen to break in the future.

Or, as user PuffTheMagic would suggest, you can always resize partitions and hope that Palm doesn't try to shrink your music partition into oblivion.

But keep in mind that my app should easily allow you to click a button on the Pre to mount and unmount /opt. You won't have to use novacom or novaterm to become root and run the toggle script. Your index finger/thumb does the work for you, directly on your shiny little touchscreen.

Edit: I can't speak for moving your Optware packages anywhere, or your applications, but I will say that I have a solution on the way for getting some of the kinks out of 1lnxraider's virtual file system consisting of /opt on loopback. As far as applications go, they're probably not what's taking up your space. Apps are pretty small, and especially since they're posing as built-in applications, they're probably good to stay. As many Optware packages as you have, that's probably your culprit. They can be BIG. Look at Perl or other big packages for programming languages.

Edit 2:

I'm having out of space/memory problems too. I've considered possibly using webos doctor, but I don't know what it will do. Does it remove everything aka hard reset? or do you keep the stuff in your /media/internal (usb drive) directory?
    webOS Doctor will remove everything from /media/internal, as Palm itself warns. That's a feature. Go figure. Don't expect webOS Doctor to save anything from your device. It will take away your Linux access, you will have to reinstall SSH if you have it and want it back. You will have to reinstall any homebrew apps. The only things that stay on your device are official webOS updates, and those NASCAR and NFL applications you probably hardly ever use. Your Pre can re-download other official App Catalog apps, I've heard, but not seen. I have used webOS Doctor once myself, and was quite pleased, but only after I had borked up my phone after after following 1lnxraider's tutorial in this thread and failing to successfully create the VFS before removing all of /var, which was also a mistake. If you have your data backed up in Palm's cloud, and you can sign into your Palm Profile after you fix it with webOS Doctor, your Pre should re-download your contacts, email accounts, apps, and things, but don't count on it. I was unable to sign into my Palm Profile due to them never registering mine for some reason.... Anyway, whatever you do, be cautious.

Also, be patient. I think I'm really getting somewhere with this. I'm hardly skilled at all in Linux compared to most people here and especially on IRC, but I have an idea of how to make it a decent experience for the user. You can take a look at the screenshot I posted of my app as it is--mostly nonfunctional. That's kind of how it should look though when I get done. Of course--an interface is just that: an interface. It'll easily change. The OptLoopService we'll all talking about may expand to allow other file system tasks to take place, and in unison, so may Toggle VFS. I may need to rename it to suit its new role. Hopefully it will be of more use than just mounting and unmounting /opt.

Perhaps I'm getting too technical though. I really should be working on it as we type! Or getting some rest so I can tomorrow. >_> Wish me luck with my progress, and thanks for your inquiry. It's good to know other homebrewers are having similar issues.

On another note for all of you, wicked props for this project go out to:

- The Apache Ant Project
    - ActiveState's free text editor Komodo Edit
    - 1lnxraider (for devising the /opt on loopback method at PreCentral.net)
    - destinal (for helping troubleshoot)
    - egaudet (for helping troubleshoot, for creating the example AccelService and for some enormous patience)
    - PuffTheMagic (for saying that this was the wrong way to do things)
    - rwhitby (for the service skeleton—couldn't have done it without you, mate)
    - Templarian (don't remember but he's a really awesome dude and loves cute penguins)
    - 'most everyone on #webos-internals (sorry if I blanked on your name right now--PM ultraBlack at PreCentral.net if you can)
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/08/2009 at 04:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
    This issue occurred right after i installed quilt. It installs a ton of dependencies that take up a lot of space. So if you don't need it it would be best to remove it. The process to remove items is pretty easy. Become root and then type ipkg-opt list_installed and go through one by one and run ipkg-opt remove *package_name* from whatever is listed. This will remove the program although some items may remain. The most basic thing you'll need to ssh is dropbear. Everything else could probably go.
    I've just created a 'quilt-lite' package which should be able to replace quilt for all purposes required by webOS application patching, and no longer has perl as a dependency.

This alone saves 25MB of space on /var :-)

I have updated the quilt-bootstrap.sh script and there are instructions for how to migrate from quilt to quilt-lite at http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Applying_Patches

I'll also be looking hard to see what other dependencies (e.g. coreutils and util-linux-ng) can be removed simply by cutting out features that are not used in webOS land.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/08/2009 at 08:43 AM.

Code:

Check out Tutorials Linux opt on loopback - WebOS Internals it is only a work-a-round at the moment. BTW, "df -i" doesn't work as it does most other brands of linux/unix. It is suppose to show the percentage of inodes used on the filesystem. Which loosely translates to the the number of files that can be created on a linux/unix filesystem. At any rate, check out the tutorial.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've just created a 'quilt-lite' package which should be able to replace quilt for all purposes required by webOS application patching, and no longer has perl as a dependency.

This alone saves 25MB of space on /var :-)

I have updated the quilt-bootstrap.sh script and there are instructions for how to migrate from quilt to quilt-lite at Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

I'll also be looking hard to see what other dependencies (e.g. coreutils and util-linux-ng) can be removed simply by cutting out features that are not used in webOS land.

-- Rod
    That's great news. Rod, for the service, we need to be able to execute most of the commands from the scripts on the wiki page: Tutorials Linux opt on loopback - WebOS Internals

Can you work with me to get those working with the service?

Also for quilt-lite, libdb is dependent on python. Should I remove that?
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/08/2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. of course I could remove the perl, web server, and mysql stuff I added. I'm playing around with it just because I can. It's just really cool that I can serve up a web page that uses perl to fetch data from a mysql table ALL FROM MY PHONE. It kinda blows my mind.

On a more serious note, I was experimenting to see if I could have a basic web CGI development environment on my phone, and I'm thrilled that I can.

I'm looking forward to what you find can be removed. Do you know enough to know whether miniperl or microperl would do instead of perl?
    I'm playing around with it just because I can. It's just really cool that I can serve up a web page that uses perl to fetch data from a mysql table ALL FROM MY PHONE. It kinda blows my mind.
    It's awesome. Something I've wanted to do myself.
    Imagine creating your own apps for your phone ON YOUR PHONE.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast