Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    jrfougere...

I do not believe it would interfere with sending email with attachments. I've been sending emails with attachments without any problems. I'll double check though. Have you made any other changes or applied any other "patches" to your Pre?

On a side note... I was thinking about an elegant approach to shutdown the opt-ware installed daemons. To tie it to the system... But I just realized I could use the brute force approach and create an applet to run a script to start/stop the services and unmount the VFS. Similar to the tether applet.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I was trying to figure out what caused the problem and I thought this might be culprit. I'll keep looking.
    1lnxraider: Thanks for acknowledging the problem. I hope you can find a solution, because I have no idea as to what to do! It would be nice to have Media Sync working again (although I don't need it--I can just as easily use Mp3tag to find songs and transfer them with WinSCP). Also USB Mode is probably crucial for some.

/etc/fstab:

Code:
    # <filesystem>	<mount point>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
    rootfs	/	ext3	ro,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime	1	1
    /dev/mapper/store-var	/var	ext3	noatime	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-log	/var/log	ext3	noatime	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-update	/var/lib/update	ext3	noauto,noatime	0	0
    proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
    devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	mode=0620,gid=5	0	0
    tmpfs	/tmp	tmpfs	size=64M,mode=1777	0	0
    tmpfs	/media/ram	tmpfs	defaults	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-media	/media/internal	vfat	utf8,shortname=mixed	0	0
    #/var/opt /opt bind defaults,bind 0 0
    /media/internal/vfs/opt.ext3 /opt/ ext3 loop,noatime 1 2

$PATH:

Code:
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin::/opt/bin:/opt/sbin

I would love to see the good parts of this thread on the wiki if this type of vfs mod isn't yet. Someone on IRC was supposed to do this already with their own method (which they claimed was more efficient than yours--at least, minus the tar style backup), but apparently hasn't from all I've seen. If I find time, I'll make a page, but otherwise, I'd kindly ask, "Could you put this on the webOS Internals MediaWiki, and if you could, include instructions on how to remove the virtual file system?" I'd like to know how you would go about removing it if I ever might need to recreate it without running webOS Doctor. It's just way easier to check the wiki than go hunting for a forum topic, and wading through its posts. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lnxraider View Post
    How far did you get with the process? The backup process was the first step in moving the files from /var/opt to the new virtual filesystem. If you were able to create and mount the virtual filesystem, the next step would be to restore the files from backup process.
    I eventually finished the entire process (after a webOS Doctoring). I believe I originally restored using the tar backup once--or maybe not, it might not have even been necessary--but later on mucked I something else up anyway. I feel better having used webOS Doctor. My phone runs better, and I'm a bit more confident in screwing with my phone now. :P

Read my post above, for my reply to your last post, which I had seen first when I read this. I don't have a lot of time here, so I gotta go! I'll check up on things here the next time I can. I hope you can find a solution! *crosses fingers*
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraBlack View Post
    I eventually finished the entire process (after a webOS Doctoring). I believe I originally restored using the tar backup once--or maybe not, it might not have even been necessary--but later on mucked I something else up anyway. I feel better having used webOS Doctor. My phone runs better, and I'm a bit more confident in screwing with my phone now. :P

Read my post above, for my reply to your last post, which I had seen first when I read this. I don't have a lot of time here, so I gotta go! I'll check up on things here the next time I can. I hope you can find a solution! *crosses fingers*
    Thanks for the info... I'll check out WebOS Internals... As you saw I identified the problem and I can manually correct it to allow going into USB Mode/Media Sync... Just need to figure out a way to start/stop it from the GUI.
    Thanks for the info... I'll check out WebOS Internals... As you saw I identified the problem and I can manually correct it to allow going into USB Mode/Media Sync... Just need to figure out a way to start/stop it from the GUI.
    Idea: Make a script that runs like the one for the 'My Tether' app?
    Following 1lnxraider's post is NOT a good idea IF you plan to use your Pre to sync media or as a USB device. Once that image on the /media/internal filesystem is mounted you will NOT be able to mount your Pre as a USB device or media sync.

Moving your apps in hte /var/usr/palm/applications dir. to /media/internal/applications and making a symlink works great.
    NetWhiz: How do I make a symlink? Also, I'm not sure if moving my apps will be enough. The optware packages take up a lot more space. Besides, won't I have to move my apps to /media/internal/applications every time I install them from an ipk? All those automated desktop installers won't do much good then.

Also, have we gotten a wiki page for this yet?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I really haven't done that much. I enabled root with the novaproxy (Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals) then did the next steps (Next steps - WebOS Internals) for bootstrap, quilt, dropbear,etc. I've only installed a couple homebrews My Notifications, the package tracking program (but I uninstalled it trying to get past this space error).

Sounds like I could remove some stuff like you did to get some space back. How did you determine what to uninstall? Most of the ipkg-list files seem like real files to me.
    This issue occurred right after i installed quilt. It installs a ton of dependencies that take up a lot of space. So if you don't need it it would be best to remove it. The process to remove items is pretty easy. Become root and then type ipkg-opt list_installed and go through one by one and run ipkg-opt remove *package_name* from whatever is listed. This will remove the program although some items may remain. The most basic thing you'll need to ssh is dropbear. Everything else could probably go.
    luckily i haven't had any of those problems
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraBlack View Post
    NetWhiz: How do I make a symlink? Also, I'm not sure if moving my apps will be enough. The optware packages take up a lot more space. Besides, won't I have to move my apps to /media/internal/applications every time I install them from an ipk? All those automated desktop installers won't do much good then.

Also, have we gotten a wiki page for this yet?
    To create a symbolic link simply log onto your Pre as root and use the "ln" command. The command syntax is "ln -s <Target Name> <Link Name>". The "<Target Name>" must exist and the "<Link Name>" cannot already exist..

example: ln -s /media/internal/applications/ /var/usr/palm/apps. When creating a symbolic link to a directory a "/" should be appended to the directory name.

However, using mount command with the "bind" option may work much better. Using the same technique used to link /var/opt and /opt as detailed when initially installing the opt-ware apps. So if you wanted to have your d/l'd apps that would normally reside in /var/usr/palm/applications to reside in /media/internal/applications. Then:

1) Create /media/internal/applications, if it does not exist.
    # mkdir /media/internal/applications

2) Move the files/directories in /var/usr/palm/applications/ to /media/internal/applications/
    # mv /var/usr/palm/applications/* /media/internal/applications/

3) Mount /media/internal/applications/ to /var/usr/palm/applications/
    # mount -o bind /media/internal/applications/ /var/usr/palm/applications/

4) To make it permanent add the following entry to /etc/fstab using vi/nano/editior of choice
    /media/internal/applications/ /var/usr/palm/applications/ bind defaults,bind 0 0

Note: The methods listed above have not been tested with any application. They are listed as possible methods to create symbolic links on the Pre.

There is a wiki entry Tutorials Linux opt on loopback - WebOS Internals initiated by PuffTheMagic similar to what has been discussed in this forum with regard to creating a virtual filesystem to store the opt-ware apps..
    Last edited by 1lnxraider; 08/03/2009 at 05:00 AM.
    Developed a small app to mount/unmount the virtual filesystem. For now it simply works. Attempting to bulletproof the app. It will allow the USB Drive/Media Sync mode to work.

Check out Tutorials Linux opt on loopback - WebOS Internals for complete discussion.
    Last edited by 1lnxraider; 08/04/2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Added link
    I went and tried to dissect that toggle script to see why it wasn't working for me:

When I run /bin/umount "$LVFSMP"
    I get umount: cannot umount /opt: Device or resource busy
    I get the same thing when I try /bin/umount /opt

And when I try to run /sbin/losetup -d $LVFSDV
    I get the help text for losetup.... I'm guessing the variable wasn't set properly
    When I do /sbin/losetup -d /dev/loop0
    I get ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or resource busy

I tried the for loop to /sbin/initctl stop "$x" several times
    It said it stopped job optware-dropbear but I'm doing this through PuTTY SSH so did it REALLY?

Any ideas?

Edit: The script doesn't work when executed with novaproxy either
    Edit: Got it to work with novaproxy! Had to do the umount / losetup commands manually again. I can now sync with iTunes and access /media/internal as a USB drive in Windows Vista Ultimate x64. Novacom isn't working this second because it can't find drivers now for some reason. I should have them all already. Anyway, we really need that app GUI.

Edit: For novacom -k tty:// it says
    "bad or error response from other side: 'unrecognized command'"

That is, in Just Charge mode.

Edit: Okay, after rebooting the phone, and firing up novaproxy on my machine, then trying to execute the script, it immediately echoes **** Error unmounting VFS. There's still something wrong with that script. I think it's in the variables. Adjustments may be needed.

Hopefully you can get that app working, and "bullet-proofed"....
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/04/2009 at 09:26 PM.
    ultraBlack...

I probably should have put in a caveat that the script needs to run from a shell that does not involve using ssh (openssh or dropbear). I use linux exclusively... Well mostly... But when accessing my Pre I'm using novaterm. The script is coded to grab the needed information from both /etc/fstab and the "df" command. The one piece I couldn't predetermine are which processes are run from /opt. The two processes most users use are Open-SSH and DropBear so those were easy to code for. So the line: APPS="optware-openssh optware-dropbear" needs to be manually edited for your environment. When you run the command make sure you are not in the /opt directory and all daemons associated with /opt are stopped. We'll figure this thing out yet. I can add more code around the umount command to make sure it was successful prior to running the losetup command. Do me a favor and install the "lsof" package with ipkg-opt. Then prior to running the script to unmount /opt do the following:

lsof|grep "/opt/"|less

It will show you which running processes are associated with /opt. So it should be easy to pick which process need to be shutdown. You can also redirect it to a file and PM me the results.
    ultraBlack...

I probably should have put in a caveat that the script needs to run from a shell that does not involve using ssh (openssh or dropbear). I use linux exclusively... Well mostly... But when accessing my Pre I'm using novaterm. The script is coded to grab the needed information from both /etc/fstab and the "df" command. The one piece I couldn't predetermine are which processes are run from /opt. The two processes most users use are Open-SSH and DropBear so those were easy to code for. So the line: APPS="optware-openssh optware-dropbear" needs to be manually edited for your environment. When you run the command make sure you are not in the /opt directory and all daemons associated with /opt are stopped. We'll figure this thing out yet. I can add more code around the umount command to make sure it was successful prior to running the losetup command. Do me a favor and install the "lsof" package with ipkg-opt. Then prior to running the script to unmount /opt do the following:

lsof|grep "/opt/"|less

It will show you which running processes are associated with /opt. So it should be easy to pick which process need to be shutdown. You can also redirect it to a file and PM me the results.
    Thanks lots. I will do that now, and edit this post with the results in a few minutes.

Edit: http://webos.pastebin.com/f48f18b0b

That is all that it yielded.
    Thanks... When connected to your Pre with novaproxy or novaterm (comes with SDK), stop dropbear and run the lsof command again. It should only list lsof. Then, if you haven't already save the script to a file (ie vfs ) using vi/nano/your favorite editor in /home/root and then run "chmod 750 vfs". Then run it "./vfs on" to start it and "./vfs off" to stop it. The apps listed in the line:

APPS="optware-openssh optware-dropbear"

are the names of the start/stop scripts in /etc/event.d/. The names must match.
    I have done this, I have. The script is saved in /home/scripts and I've "chmod"ed it and ran as root.

The problem for me now is that even through it said dropbear was the only thing running, it wouldn't let me use the script to unmount the vfs. This is confusing to me. There must be some other process disallowing the dismount.
    1) Are you you connected to the Pre with novaproxy or novaterm?

2) On the Pre run "netstat -na|less". Check to see if you have any connections to the IP Address of your PC?

3) Try manually stopping dropbear (ie initctl stop optware-dropbear). Then run the vfs script to stop VFS (ie ./vfs off).

4) If it still fails, run: ps awx|grep "/opt/"|grep -v grep|less Check if any processes are still attached to /opt/

5) Copy the script from the tutorial again to Pre using a different name. Then run it to see the same error exists. If it does error out, edit the script add a "-x" to the end of the first line. It should look like "#!/bin/sh -x". Then run it again. You will see commands as they executed and you will values for the variables. If you need help deciphering it redirect the output to a file and post it.
    1) Are you you connected to the Pre with novaproxy or novaterm?

2) On the Pre run "netstat -na|less". Check to see if you have any connections to the IP Address of your PC?

3) Try manually stopping dropbear (ie initctl stop optware-dropbear). Then run the vfs script to stop VFS (ie ./vfs off).

4) If it still fails, run: ps awx|grep "/opt/"|grep -v grep|less Check if any processes are still attached to /opt/

5) Copy the script from the tutorial again to Pre using a different name. Then run it to see the same error exists. If it does error out, edit the script add a "-x" to the end of the first line. It should look like "#!/bin/sh -x". Then run it again. You will see commands as they executed and you will values for the variables. If you need help deciphering it redirect the output to a file and post it.
    Not novaterm, but I WAS using novacom...since I am on Vista x64. Now I can't. I get:

Code:
    bad or error response from other side: 'unrecognized command'
    if you're talking to an older novacomd, try -k to enable krustymode
    Fun. Looks like I'm stuck with novaproxy.

Step #2 yielded a lot, but only in the beginning of what it spat out did I see a few 127.0.0.1's. Those were the only IP addresses in there.

I already tried #3.

#4 gave nothing but a bunch of tildes and then the text "standard input".

I'll try #5 right now and see what I find.

Thanks for your continued help with this. Thank you.

Edit: Well, I figured out why novacom wasn't working. Stupid me. The command is novacom -t open tty://, not novacom -t tty://.... Okay, well now I'm not panicking anymore. Lol.

Going to try #5 now.
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/05/2009 at 10:28 PM.
    This is the result of step #5:

webos private pastebin - collaborative debugging tool

Help deciphering it is appreciated.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast