Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Just had this problem as well. I consolidated my /var/opt folder and that fixed the problem.
    I'm sorry... how did you "consolidate" your /var/opt/ folder?

thanks... can't get prebrew 1.3 to work and recently moved all my ipg-opt install apps to /media/internal to clean up for the 1.1 update.
    This is what I have found to be true in my case at least:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1774577
    Quote Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
    This is what I have found to be true in my case at least:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1774577
    Grrrr...NM, here's the post:
    Another thing I just noticed, I wanted to install the earthquake app and it woul not go through. I added a few things after the update to test them, but I could not get it to go through. I deleted a few apps that I don't use and voila! It went in, so I experimented with adding apps and deleting them. It seems that I can only have 73 icons on the first page of the apps. Further research shows I have added a total of 61 apps to my Pre, not just Homebrews, but a combo of HB and apps from the catalog. I am not sure if this is coincidental, accidental or utterly illogical, but I seem to be unable to add more apps. I tried adding another from the App Catalog and it states "Sorry, Not Enough Memory. Please delete an application you have installed to make room." I still have almost 5GB of space on the phone and it won't allow me to use that for apps? I was unaware of this restriction. I must say I am a little disappointed, not that I need 70 apps, but that they won't let me have them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
    Grrrr...NM, here's the post:
    Another thing I just noticed, I wanted to install the earthquake app and it woul not go through. I added a few things after the update to test them, but I could not get it to go through. I deleted a few apps that I don't use and voila! It went in, so I experimented with adding apps and deleting them. It seems that I can only have 73 icons on the first page of the apps. Further research shows I have added a total of 61 apps to my Pre, not just Homebrews, but a combo of HB and apps from the catalog. I am not sure if this is coincidental, accidental or utterly illogical, but I seem to be unable to add more apps. I tried adding another from the App Catalog and it states "Sorry, Not Enough Memory. Please delete an application you have installed to make room." I still have almost 5GB of space on the phone and it won't allow me to use that for apps? I was unaware of this restriction. I must say I am a little disappointed, not that I need 70 apps, but that they won't let me have them all
    See this entry: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...10#post1775510
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtthomps View Post
    What does this mean? I get this now with an unrooted pre. I cannot install anything from the app store. I have deleted several apps to "make room" (I should NOT have to do this).
    That's the first time I've heard of this on a un-rooted Pre. I'm trying to do a full hard reset on mine to get around this, but now I can't get on the network anymore... :-(
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by peng1can View Post
    That's the first time I've heard of this on a un-rooted Pre. I'm trying to do a full hard reset on mine to get around this, but now I can't get on the network anymore... :-(
    Have you been installing Homebrew Apps? This seems to be what is causing the problem, not rooting by itself.
    [QUOTE=1lnxraider;1778648]See this entry: [url]

Thanks, while there seems to be no actual firm info, I at least know its not just me. I missed that thread altogether when searching. I guess for now I will just have to deal with my maximum app issue.
    Question: for those of you that have rooted your Pre and are having out of memory when attempting to install apps, how much diskspace are you using? At the command prompt run:

df -h (diskspace utilization)
    df -i (inodes utilization)

The / (root) and /var are the filesystems of interest. You also want to run ipkg list_install to ensure those apps you deleted from the GUI were actually deleted. I deleted "Classic" yet saw it to be still installed when I listed the installed apps and used ipkg to remove the associated packages.
    from df -h:
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 441.7M 378.0M 63.7M 86% /
    /dev/root 31.0M 11.1M 19.9M 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 378.0M 63.7M 86% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 378.0M 63.7M 86% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2.0M 152.0k 1.9M 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 221.1M 26.9M 89% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    38.7M 9.5M 29.2M 25% /var/log
    tmpfs 64.0M 128.0k 63.9M 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 119.6M 0 119.6M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    6.7G 2.3G 4.4G 35% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 221.1M 26.9M 89% /opt
    from df -i: returned an invalid call.

any ideas. i can see that /var and /opt are 89% is probably not helping. I have opt-ware installed and only 2 apps. how can i clean up /var?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rudramakesmovie View Post
    from df -h:

from df -i: returned an invalid call.

any ideas. i can see that /var and /opt are 89% is probably not helping. I have opt-ware installed and only 2 apps. how can i clean up /var?

thanks
    The problem is /var. /opt is just a link to /var/opt. The way I made more room was to create a virtual filesystem. I outlined the process earlier in this thread. When I get home I'll post the steps I took. I had ~140MB of opt-ware packages installed.
    You must be root to perform this process. It is assumed that you
    followed the procedure to install opt-ware in /var/opt and linked
    /var/opt to /opt with the "mount -o bind /var/opt /opt" command
    and there is an equivalent entry in the /etc/fstab file.

1) Create a directory on the USB drive portion to hold the virtual filesystem
    # mkdir /media/internal/vfs

2) Create a 512MB file (adjust as needed, the minimum should be 256MB)
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/internal/vfs/opt.ext3 bs=512k count=1024

3) Associate the file with a loopback block device
    # losetup /dev/loop7 /media/internal/vfs/opt.ext3

4) Create linux ext3 filesystem
    # mkfs.ext3 -L /opt /dev/loop7

5) Adjust maximum mount count to higher value
    # tune2fs -c 31 /media/internal/vfs/opt.ext3

6) Create a temporary mount point
    # mkdir /mnt/vfs

7) Mount newly created virtual filesystem
    # mount /dev/loop7 /mnt/vfs

8) Check to ensure mounted properly and is expected size,
    if not umount and restart at Step 2.
    # df -h

9) Create a backup of the /opt directory (requires several minutes)
    # cd /opt
    # tar -cvzf /media/internal/backup-opt.tgz .

11) Extract backup to virtual filesystem (requires several minutes)
    # cd /mnt/vfs
    # tar -xzf /media/internal/backup-opt.tgz

12) Check disk usage for virtual filesystem. Sufficient
    space should be available to allow additional packages
    # df -h

13) Unmount virtual filesystem
    # cd /
    # umount /mnt/vfs

14) Disassociate virtual filesystem with loopback device
    # losetup -d /dev/loop7

15) Add the following line to /etc/fstab to automount.
    Make sure the filename agrees to file and path created above
    /media/internal/vfs/opt.ext3 /opt/ ext3 loop,noatime 1 2

16) Comment out the /var/opt entry, should be similar to next line
    #/var/opt /opt bind defaults,bind 0 0

17) reboot your phone

18) log back on your phone to ensure all went well. Check mounted filesystems. The virtual filesystem should be mounted on /opt. An entry similar to the line below should be shown:
    /dev/loop0 512.8M 152.5M 334.3M 31% /opt

# df -h

19) If all went well, remove files/directories from /var/opt
    Last edited by 1lnxraider; 07/29/2009 at 06:56 AM.
    1lnxraider: How do I undo your changes? After deleting directories out of /var/opt several functions on my phone do not work. I assume that's another reason you had me make a backup in those directions, correct?

Edit: Crap I didn't make a backup of /var/opt. Sorry I'm really tired. *looks for any solution not involving webOS doctor*

Edit 2: Also forgot to mention that I can only get partial linux access with nova proxy!

Edit 3: Well, nevermind. I guess the symptoms I was having after deleting things from /var/opt (that WiFi didn't work, the phone had no service at all, and the launcher wouldn't start) just went away after a couple reboots and recommenting the things you told me to comment. (I had tried to put things back to normalcy out of frustration.) Looks like things are all fine now. Ignore this post. (For now.)

Edit 4: Lost my web bookmarks and launcher arrangement.

Edit 5: After following all of 1lnxraider's steps, and an extensive recovery process, the error still persists. df -h yields:

Code:
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  441.7M    389.8M     51.9M  88% /
    /dev/root                31.0M     11.1M     19.9M  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    389.8M     51.9M  88% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    389.8M     51.9M  88% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                     2.0M    152.0k      1.9M   7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    244.7M      3.3M  99% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             38.7M      9.9M     28.9M  25% /var/log
    tmpfs                    64.0M    620.0k     63.4M   1% /tmp
    tmpfs                   119.6M         0    119.6M   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                              6.7G      3.9G      2.8G  58% /media/internal
    /dev/loop0              503.9M    138.9M    339.4M  29% /opt
    Edit WTFever: seeking help on IRC...

Edit 7: Did a full restore with webOS Doctor. Going to try your instructions again.

Edit 8: Seems to work so far, but I haven't even started installing homebrews.

Edit 9: After all of this, this is what I'm getting with df -h:

Code:
    rootfs                  441.7M    378.0M     63.7M  86% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    378.0M     63.7M  86% /
    df: /dev/.static/dev: Permission denied
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    159.9M     88.1M  64% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             38.7M      5.1M     33.6M  13% /var/log
    tmpfs                    64.0M    172.0k     63.8M   0% /tmp
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                              6.7G    566.0M      6.1G   8% /media/internal
    /dev/loop0              503.9M    137.7M    340.6M  29% /opt

I don't know how I'm supposed to install homebrews with this modification you've made. Do they still go in /var/usr/palm/applications?

Another Edit: It seems to be working okay. It seems to be working with my most common install methods-PreBrew v1.5 and the SDK (palm-install). I haven't tried webOS Quick Install yet, but I'm about to. I just wasn't sure how this virtual filesystem was supposed to work, but it seems to be, now!

Edit: Doesn't seem to work with webOS Quick Install, but that's probably webOS Quick Install's fault. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to run in Vista 64-bit (despite being written in Java).

Another Thing: Could this be the reason my phone can no longer go into Media Sync or USB Mode? It appears to go into those modes for about 5 seconds, and then reverts back to the main screen, and the 'Just Charging' mode.
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 07/29/2009 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraBlack View Post
    1lnxraider: How do I undo your changes? After deleting directories out of /var/opt several functions on my phone do not work. I assume that's another reason you had me make a backup in those directions, correct?

Edit: Crap I didn't make a backup of /var/opt. Sorry I'm really tired. *looks for any solution not involving webOS doctor*

Edit 2: Also forgot to mention that I can only get partial linux access with nova proxy!

Edit 3: Well, nevermind. I guess the symptoms I was having after deleting things from /var/opt (that WiFi didn't work, the phone had no service at all, and the launcher wouldn't start) just went away after a couple reboots and recommenting the things you told me to comment. (I had tried to put things back to normalcy out of frustration.) Looks like things are all fine now. Ignore this post. (For now.)

Edit 4: Lost my web bookmarks and launcher arrangement.
    How far did you get with the process? The backup process was the first step in moving the files from /var/opt to the new virtual filesystem. If you were able to create and mount the virtual filesystem, the next step would be to restore the files from backup process.
  14. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I have been watching for a few days and finally decided to try it.
    I am once again able to download apps from the app catalog, haven't tried installing any more homebrew ones.

I am having the same unable to do media sync or usb drive problem as others though.
    I assume this is related to the fix. So any advice how to fix this problem?

Otherwise this seems like a good fix.
  15. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I am curious how this happened to be begin with. I only had installed 2 homebrews and a handful of regular apps. Is the rooting process the problem here? Should some of the root install files be moved to other dirs?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I am curious how this happened to be begin with. I only had installed 2 homebrews and a handful of regular apps. Is the rooting process the problem here? Should some of the root install files be moved to other dirs?
    What have done with your rooting? I have a bunch of homebrew installed ~20 with no problem anymore with space b/c I got rid of a lot of the stuff I did with rooting. I added patch and quilt and git and that filled up my /var/opt folder partition. So I ran ipkg-opt list_installed and went through and removed (ipkg-opt remove *package_name*) anything that I didn't need. Basically left only openssh when i was done. This cleared a lot of room and I was once again able to install apps and haven't hit a wall again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraBlack View Post
    Edit 5: After following all of 1lnxraider's steps, and an extensive recovery process, the error still persists. df -h yields:

Code:
    rootfs                  441.7M    389.8M     51.9M  88% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    389.8M     51.9M  88% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    389.8M     51.9M  88% /dev/.static/dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    244.7M      3.3M  99% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             38.7M      9.9M     28.9M  25% /var/log
    tmpfs                    64.0M    620.0k     63.4M   1% /tmp
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                              6.7G      3.9G      2.8G  58% /media/internal
    /dev/loop0              503.9M    138.9M    339.4M  29% /opt
    Edit WTFever: seeking help on IRC...

Edit 7: Did a full restore with webOS Doctor. Going to try your instructions again.

Edit 8: Seems to work so far, but I haven't even started installing homebrews.

Edit 9: After all of this, this is what I'm getting with df -h:

Code:
    rootfs                  441.7M    378.0M     63.7M  86% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    378.0M     63.7M  86% /
    df: /dev/.static/dev: Permission denied
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    159.9M     88.1M  64% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             38.7M      5.1M     33.6M  13% /var/log
    tmpfs                    64.0M    172.0k     63.8M   0% /tmp
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                              6.7G    566.0M      6.1G   8% /media/internal
    /dev/loop0              503.9M    137.7M    340.6M  29% /opt

I don't know how I'm supposed to install homebrews with this modification you've made. Do they still go in /var/usr/palm/applications?

Another Edit: It seems to be working okay. It seems to be working with my most common install methods-PreBrew v1.5 and the SDK (palm-install). I haven't tried webOS Quick Install yet, but I'm about to. I just wasn't sure how this virtual filesystem was supposed to work, but it seems to be, now!

Edit: Doesn't seem to work with webOS Quick Install, but that's probably webOS Quick Install's fault. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to run in Vista 64-bit (despite being written in Java).

Another Thing: Could this be the reason my phone can no longer go into Media Sync or USB Mode? It appears to go into those modes for about 5 seconds, and then reverts back to the main screen, and the 'Just Charging' mode.
    After you rebooted the first time. That was mainly to ensure that the virtual filesystem was mounted properly and all opt-ware processes restarted without any issues. It seems after the reboot /var was at 99%. Then you should have removed any files/directories in /var/opt (ie rm -r /var/opt). This should have freed up the space 137MB (according to the current size of /opt). Not sure why you had so many problems.

Adding the virtual filesystem does not affect any other phone operation. Downloaded apps continue to get installed in /var/usr/palm/applications. All opt-ware apps will be installed in /opt on the virtual filesystem.

I've been using this method for several weeks with no ill effects on phone operation. I'll see what I can out about the other problems you are experiencing. I would have responded sooner but I didn't realize you had edited your original post.

Could you post the contents of your /etc/fstab file? Also post your path (ie echo $PATH).
    Last edited by 1lnxraider; 07/31/2009 at 07:55 PM.
  18. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
    What have done with your rooting? I have a bunch of homebrew installed ~20 with no problem anymore with space b/c I got rid of a lot of the stuff I did with rooting. I added patch and quilt and git and that filled up my /var/opt folder partition. So I ran ipkg-opt list_installed and went through and removed (ipkg-opt remove *package_name*) anything that I didn't need. Basically left only openssh when i was done. This cleared a lot of room and I was once again able to install apps and haven't hit a wall again.
    I really haven't done that much. I enabled root with the novaproxy (Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals) then did the next steps (Next steps - WebOS Internals) for bootstrap, quilt, dropbear,etc. I've only installed a couple homebrews My Notifications, the package tracking program (but I uninstalled it trying to get past this space error).

Sounds like I could remove some stuff like you did to get some space back. How did you determine what to uninstall? Most of the ipkg-list files seem like real files to me.
    ultraBlack Ok... It does appear that creating the virtual filesystem affects USB Mode and Media Sync, but it goes deeper. Even with manually unmounting the virtual filesystem /media/internal would not umount. On Fedora Core 8 when a loopback mounted FS is mounted then it is automatically disassociated with the loopback device. On the Pre the loopback device must be manually disassociated. Working on a solution...

Edit: Under normal circumstances /media/internal is unmounted with the com.palm.storage service when going to USB Drive or Media Sync. Which would require:

1) Stopping processes run from /opt
    2) Unmounting /opt
    3) run "losetup -d /loop0" (disassociate loop device from VFS)

Then when reversing to normal mode:

1) Mount VFS
    2) Restart processes
    Last edited by 1lnxraider; 08/01/2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks 1lnxraider --

Is it possible that this fix might also cause problems with e-mailing photos? I can't seem to do that anymore after applying this fix. I am able to create an e-mail message with a link to the photo, but when I click send, nothing happens (the same thing happens when I try to save a draft of the e-mail).

I can view photos fine though.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast