Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    Agree that the OP's point is very valid.

Also agree that the OP's name calling is childish and ill-advised.

Yes, there are going to be apologists here that excuse all of the Pre's shortcomings. But that is no excuse for ad hominem attacks either.
    I think the OP has a valid gripe here. All of you seem to be trivializing something that I think many people are upset about. Why allocate such a small space for apps, especially when you know that developers are working on more and your company is coming with an official app store? I do believe it's silly.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    It is quite the PITA to have to delete ALL homebrew apps in order to download a new App Catalog App. Yes, yes it is.

The other problem is since the apps do not erase completely (some preferences are saved even after deletion) the number of Official Apps that can be loaded actually decrease as the more homebrew is loaded (and deleted). I have reached the point now, where even after I delete all homebrew and one or two catalog apps, I am still unable to load new apps. I cannot even reload the app I deleted!

So yes, this is a problem, and to say all you need do is erase a few programs does not address the problem, in may case, at all.
    Again, there are two homebrew install methods that are not subject to the upper application limit, that don't interfere with how many apps you can install from the Catalog.

Furthermore, at this junction, the need to delete apps to make room for more don't effect the overall usability of the device. Yes, it's slightly inconvenient to uninstall Bubbles so you can install Chess, but is it really that big of an issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Homebrew methods such as webOS quick install and Preware use a method of installation that is not subject to that limit.
    I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure these methods install apps on the same partition with the same limited space as any other method.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Nor did they say the 8 GB wouldn't be usable for programs. I think it was a reasonable assumption that all that memory (except what was reserved for the OS and built-in apps) would be available. That's the way most computers work.
    All Palm says on their OFFICIAL Pre website is that there is 8gb of memory available, with approx. 7gb user available. Now what does that mean? To some it sounds like a great place to put applications.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Simple question...

I have 6gbs of memory left on my pre but when I try install regular apps or homebrew apps it says "Not enough memory to install app". ***!!!!

PLEASE HELP
    Simple answer...

search the forums! this has been talked about AT LENGTH!
    FYI..quick search found this to explain the issue... http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post1911094 not too mention many other threads that discuss it too
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I don't know what to do I get an error when trying to download from the app catalog. System tells me I am out of memory and that I need to erase an application in order to down load one. In some cases it took 3 apps to be deleted in order to add one from the app catalog. How can this be??? I don't have that much stuff on the phone, I don't even have music downloaded how can it limit me the number of applications that I can have??
    Why keep adding apps if I can't load them on the phone.

Frustrating
    It helps to search before you post. This question was asked less than 4 hours ago and one of the regular forum members provided a quick list of helpful links:

http://forums.webosnation.com/showthread.php?p=1914147
    LOL new to these forums.... Please forgive
    When I try to download a new app on my Pre, I get the message "not enough memory, remove some apps" I have plenty of memory, it's nearly a new phone. If I take the battery out and restart, it will allow me to download. Why is my memory getting constipated? It's not like I have been using the phone much, as the handwarmer function of the battery is not needed yet, but I will take it Skiing!
    The app section of the Pre memory is restricted, it doesn't have access to the full storage memory. It's weird that you can restart and it will let you...that doesn't make sense unless you're talking about it telling you to close more cards when you try to do something.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    Please do a search on this before posting new threads.

This issue is supposedly fixed in 1.2.x. We shall see.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I seem to have hit a brick wall. Not enough Memory error but I have 2.3GB avail.
    If I remove a app and install another one it works fine but the next install will fail with "sorry, not enough memory" message again.

I've tried powering down/removing battery/powering up phone with no luck

Seems to be hitting a brick wall at 30 installed apps (not built in)

Called sprint but they were unaware of any app limitation and unable to help
    Quote Originally Posted by D0M1N8R View Post
    I seem to have hit a brick wall. Not enough Memory error but I have 2.3GB avail.
    If I remove a app and install another one it works fine but the next install will fail with "sorry, not enough memory" message again.

I've tried powering down/removing battery/powering up phone with no luck

Seems to be hitting a brick wall at 30 installed apps (not built in)

Called sprint but they were unaware of any app limitation and unable to help
    Sprint is clueless cause they do not control the apps or the device hardware.
    Palm for some reason has a limit. There is a post about different limits...search tags on here for limit post...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ification.html

In short...if from app catalog it can only download up to a certain # of apps on the phone before max out...including homebrew is counted.
    Best way is to delete all homebrrew stuff first, then install all official app catalog apps, then reinstall homebrew apps through preware. this should allow you to get most the apps you want for now until Palm changes this limit.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 09/25/2009 at 08:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So your best bet is to uninstall all homebrew, then install all Palm App Catalog apps that you want to install, and then use Preware to re-install all your homebrew apps.

-- Rod
    That means that I have to do this dance every Thursday when new official apps come out... I don't think so...
    Doing a lot of facebook full site work did this to my phone. I even closed out all the cards and after that I was still unable to open up anything without getting the too many cards open error. Reboot fixed it
    Just hit that limit today.

edit: haha jk thought it was about the limit on number of installed apps