Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 344
  1. K100Fran's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    If they change the hardware, I got a protection plan. I'll break it, and get a new phone.
    Make sure you read the fine print in your protection plan, most will only give you a refurbished version of the phone you already have, not the new hardware version.
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    I think the point hparsons is trying to make is that Palm will probably increase the partition to accommodate however many official apps are available (until no longer feasible).

    They've said they're okay with homebrew apps but did not say they would do anything special to support them, i.e. increase app partition space for non-official apps.
    I think the whole point of this thread is that there is a limit to the memory for apps, and nothing else. Approved, non-approved it doesn't matter, it doesn't change the amount of memory available. Since the phone that this one is designed to compete with does not have that limit, yes, that is a downside to the Pre.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Again, the problem is you are installing non-approved apps. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a bit premature to expect Palm to "fix" a problem that you (and others) have installing non-authorized applications.
    It doesn't matter whether the apps are approved or unapproved. We're all hoping and expecting the app catalog will have hundreds of apps in the near future, and many thousands down the road. The Pre memory limits will impact people who never load homebrew.

    Palm advertising the phone as having 8 Gig. I don't think it's unreasonable for buyers to think that 8 Gig is available. My PC doesn't say you can only use a tiny bit of your hard disk for programs, the rest is just for data. Why should buyers expect the Pre to be different?

    I'm so tired of Pre apologists who will excuse any flaw, no matter how bad it might be. This place has become as bad as the iPhone forums. Rational discourse is impossible, because the fanbois jump all over every post, discouraging anyone with a problem from even bothering.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4. #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    I think the point hparsons is trying to make is that Palm will probably increase the partition to accommodate however many official apps are available (until no longer feasible).
    ...
    So your definition of "official" is something that is downloaded from the App Catalog?

    But really I think the reason there is limited space is simply because that's the way Apple did it on the iPhone OS originally (not anymore). The Pre is remarkably very similar to the early iPhone from the web-based apps to the partition layout. This is probably because when the Pre was first designed they simply copied as much as they could from the then current Apple product. But where Apple has completely changed what didn't work (apps install to the big user data partition, lame web-based apps replaced with real, fast native apps) Palm has not (perhaps because they don't have the resources to completely change things the way Apple does).
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It doesn't matter whether the apps are approved or unapproved. We're all hoping and expecting the app catalog will have hundreds of apps in the near future, and many thousands down the road. The Pre memory limits will impact people who never load homebrew.

    Palm advertising the phone as having 8 Gig. I don't think it's unreasonable for buyers to think that 8 Gig is available. My PC doesn't say you can only use a tiny bit of your hard disk for programs, the rest is just for data. Why should buyers expect the Pre to be different?
    Then if you disagree with that restriction, buy another phone. You don't have to have a Pre. Some people like Toyota's some like Chevy's. You buy what suits you.

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm so tired of Pre apologists who will excuse any flaw, no matter how bad it might be. This place has become as bad as the iPhone forums. Rational discourse is impossible, because the fanbois jump all over every post...
    No one is excusing anything. People who are happy with the Pre made a conscious decision that an app limit wasn't a big deal to them, myself included. This is a two-way street. You're unhappy with "apologists" and I'm unhappy with "bashers".

    The middle ground is simply that this was a decision by Palm, no more, no less. Agree or disagree, without installing a hack of some sort, it is what it is. So, if you don't want to install a hack, then return the phone and get something different. If you're okay with the current limit or are willing to install a hack, you've decided that you're okay with Palm's decision (or are willing to wait out a potential expansion).

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    ...discouraging anyone with a problem from even bothering.
    This isn't a problem anyone here can solve aside from a hack. So, I'm not sure what you're looking for on this thread.
    Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/21/2009 at 12:50 PM.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    No I didn't research the phone before I got it
    Lessee if I have this right... You think $200 is a great deal of money (can't argue with that, it certainly is for some folks), but you don't see a reason to conduct any research before spending it. Therefore, Palm is supposed to make a device and sell it for that $200 that meets any potential buyer's requirements.

    Hmmm...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7. Ripcode's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Nice try, though I fail to see any posts prior the to Pre's launch -you did mention "research before you buy", didn't you?

    Unless the OP bought his phone within the last month or so, your "research" is a bit useless.
    I bought my phone less than (3) weeks ago, so I don't know what information was available at launch. I don't recall if the OP mentioned when he had bought his Pre.

    This is a the site I did all my research on before I bought my Pre. I knew what I was getting into before I picked it up. So for me, the research was useful.
  8. Ripcode's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    No dbag, the sales person at the store is the one who should know about the phones they're selling, and give buyers accurate info on them. and yeah, $200 is alot to spend on a phone. I never said it was a great deal of money.
    So you trust sales people?
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420
    the sales person at the store is the one who should know about the phones they're selling, and give buyers accurate info on them.
    I suppose, then, that you were sure to ask the salesperson every relevant question regarding your anticipated use of the phone, including asking him/her how much memory would be allocated to "homebrew" applications vs. official App Catalog applications. Or did you expect the salesperson to anticipate every possible question that you might have had, and simply answer all of them unasked?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    Palm gives us 8GB to used, BUT only for PIM. I can no longer put any more apps on my phone because the damn Pre only gives you 233MB of space for apps. My phone kept telling me I needed to erase an app in order to install a new one. Bullsh!t!!! I have 3.2GB left, so I called Palm and they told me that space is only for pics, music, etc. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE THAT SPACE FOR APPS!!!!! I didn't buy a Palm to put music on it, or video clips. I want to be able to run any app whenever! Not, "Well I'd like to use the 'Where' app, but I deleted it so I could get 'Quest'." TOTAL BULLCRAP! Palm told me this info was getting handed to their people to work on the problem. DAMN STRAIGHT, and I want a new phone when they fix it. TOTAL BUMMER, wouldn't of even got it, if I had known it was this limiting!
    Un-frickin-believable. This phone is joke. There is a growing laundry list of problems with this thing, and now a memory shortcoming too?!

    Garbage.
  11. #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    hey, all I did was state how I was very upset on this issue. Then everyone blow it out of perportion. Have a great day, even though you suck.
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm guessing you'd have gotten some more support if you used a little more class and a little less name-calling.

    People don't seem to be that receptive to "dbag" and "retard".
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    I believe the space Palm gave us to accommodate the number of OFFICIAL apps in the catalog was enough... Palm did not promise/tell you that you'd have 8gb to install homebrew onto
    Nor did they say the 8 GB wouldn't be usable for programs. I think it was a reasonable assumption that all that memory (except what was reserved for the OS and built-in apps) would be available. That's the way most computers work.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  13. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #233  
    This has probably been touched on, but the upper limit to installed applications is likely temporary.

    Homebrew methods such as webOS quick install and Preware use a method of installation that is not subject to that limit.

    And really, is it such a big deal to delete a few of those apps you weren't going to otherwise be using anyway?
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post


    No one is excusing anything. People who are happy with the Pre made a conscious decision that an app limit wasn't a big deal to them, myself included. This is a two-way street. You're unhappy with "apologists" and I'm unhappy with "bashers".
    Hogwash. The [Edit: deleted by moderator] here take the slightest criticism of the Pre and turn it into something personal, and then attack the poster. Reread this thread. There are at least as many posts criticizing the person as addressing the complaint. At least the bashers are only crticizing a piece of plastic and metal. The apologists attack people. There's a significant difference. And the apologists seem to consider any criticism of the Pre as 'bashing' no matter how true it may be.

    Face it, even if the device suits your needs, it's not perfect. And accept that everyone else's needs aren't the same as yours. To my mind much, maybe most, of the critical threads point out legitimate concerns. That's "bashing" only to a fanboi who has his self image wrapped up in a phone.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/21/2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post

    And really, is it such a big deal to delete a few of those apps you weren't going to otherwise be using anyway?
    It is quite the PITA to have to delete ALL homebrew apps in order to download a new App Catalog App. Yes, yes it is.

    The other problem is since the apps do not erase completely (some preferences are saved even after deletion) the number of Official Apps that can be loaded actually decrease as the more homebrew is loaded (and deleted). I have reached the point now, where even after I delete all homebrew and one or two catalog apps, I am still unable to load new apps. I cannot even reload the app I deleted!

    So yes, this is a problem, and to say all you need do is erase a few programs does not address the problem, in may case, at all.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    hey, all I did was state how I was very upset on this issue. Then everyone blow it out of perportion. Have a great day, even though you suck.
    Welcome to PreCentral, where the [Moderator deletion] destroy any attempt to engage in honest discussion of the phone's weaknesses. TreoCentral was a great source of information and discussion, with (for the most part) a realistic understanding of the devices' strong and weak points. But the Pre has attracted a totally different audience. The average age seems to be about 16, and tolerance for various points of view close to zero.

    BTW, while I agree with your first two sentences, quoted above, the third one certainly doesn't help make your point. But it does help you fit right in with the rest of the adolescents here.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/21/2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    No dbag, the sales person at the store is the one who should know about the phones they're selling, and give buyers accurate info on them. and yeah, $200 is alot to spend on a phone. I never said it was a great deal of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    This has nothing to do with homebrew apps or not retard. The fact is that anyone should be able to use ALL the memory for whatever they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Hogwash. The fanbois here take the slightest criticism of the Pre and turn it into something personal, and then attack the poster. Reread this thread. There are at least as many posts criticizing the person as addressing the complaint. At least the bashers are only crticizing a piece of plastic and metal. The apologists attack people.
    Judging from the above quotes, we must be reading a different thread. KingDude420 was the OP. It appears obvious as to where the personal attacks originate.

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Face it, even if the device suits your needs, it's not perfect. And accept that everyone else's needs aren't the same as yours. To my mind much, maybe most, of the critical threads point out legitimate concerns. That's "bashing" only to a fanboi who has his self image wrapped up in a phone.
    Yup, you're right, it isn't perfect. But, can you name me a phone that is? As I stated previously, those of us who bought and enjoy the phone are fully aware of it's shortcomings and have decided that we're willing to deal with them until updates are released.

    Some people would rather not have to deal with it and that's fine, but if you don't like the phone, why come to "Pre"Central.com in the first place?

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's "bashing" only to a fanboi who has his self image wrapped up in a phone.
    Sorry, could you explain to me again about the personal attacks?
  18. #238  
    Fanbois, trolls, personal insults and all on a duplicate thread reguarding the memory limit. Sounds like a recipie for how to close a thread
  19. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    On a side note, it cracks me up that people were ready to go somewhere else because the Pre wasn't being released soon enough. Now it's been released but people complain they should've waited to iron things out so now they're going to go somewhere else.

    So, in other words, those people were looking elsewhere no matter what Palm did?

    Maybe I'm being too logical for the internet.
    Are you speaking for everyone? I hope not because I know not everyone fits into your above sarcasm.
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Are you speaking for everyone? I hope not because I know not everyone fits into your above sarcasm.
    Of course not. That's why I said "those people". To assume it was everyone would not only be ignorant on my part, but aslo illogical.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions