1.    #1  
    like the title says.. do any streaming apps work in classic? Particulary radio streaming like kinoma.. I've read the stream looping issues but has anyone had luck with any other programs? Does Slingplayer work?
    That's a good question..... Unfortunately I don't have any answer for you.

I purchased the Classic APP but I'm new to Palm, so I really don't know where I'm gonna use this APP.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Can anyone with the new Classic 2.0 check and see if streaming works with Kinoma EX yet? This will be the only way possible to listen to wmv streams pretty much like what most am/fm radio stations use these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Can anyone with the new Classic 2.0 check and see if streaming works with Kinoma EX yet? This will be the only way possible to listen to wmv streams pretty much like what most am/fm radio stations use these days.
    We tested both apps: SlingPlayer and Kinoma, and can report that these apps did not work out of the box.

We also have a thread with Kinoma in order to work out the modifications needed for Kinoma to work with Classic and will keep you posted. Currently, we do not have a timeline on this.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Could you or are you working with NormSoft.com to get Pocket Tunes Deluxe v5.x streaming working in Classic ???
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Have you checked whether the streams will work in the WebOS player yet? There was a bug fix which prevented some streams from playing more than 30 seconds, but that's fixed now. One of my radio stations is now streaming properly in WebOS.
    sling will get some intermitant streaming of audio only. Ie you can log into your slingbox remotely just fine but there is no video and the audio drops in and out. It functions similarly on the n810 garrnet and the zire72. Hoping this can be implemented in the future

classic any insight as to what is stopping video? Is it on the driver side with classicOS or is it more related to the slingplayer software itself?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    Have you checked whether the streams will work in the WebOS player yet? There was a bug fix which prevented some streams from playing more than 30 seconds, but that's fixed now. One of my radio stations is now streaming properly in WebOS.
    Well most major AM/FM Radio stations especially those owned by ClearStation (just about all of them) will stream only in the wma or wmv format that
    webOs does not currently support but Palm OS did with Kinoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    sling will get some intermitant streaming of audio only. Ie you can log into your slingbox remotely just fine but there is no video and the audio drops in and out. It functions similarly on the n810 garrnet and the zire72. Hoping this can be implemented in the future

classic any insight as to what is stopping video? Is it on the driver side with classicOS or is it more related to the slingplayer software itself?

We do have a pretty good insight.
    Itís on the driver side as you said Ė there are licensing issues regarding codecs that prevented us from implementing whatís needed to support SlingPlayer. This works on Centro but it does not in Classic which is emulating Centro. So there is something (particular library and codecs support) that we were not able to include in Classic. Again, licensing issues did not allow us to get everything we needed on our side to support video streaming.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Thats too bad cause if SlingPlayer worked I would have bought Classic long time ago but isntead I just deleted it. Oooh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    We tested both apps: SlingPlayer and Kinoma, and can report that these apps did not work out of the box.

We also have a thread with Kinoma in order to work out the modifications needed for Kinoma to work with Classic and will keep you posted.
    Kinoma Player 4 EX runs on every Palm OS device made in the last 9 years. It also runs great on multiple Palm OS emulators from other vendors (e.g. StyleTap, Garnet VM).

To set expectations, there are no plans to rewrite parts of Kinoma Player 4 EX to work around "not quite complete" Palm OS implementations. We're confident that if other vendors can do it, MotionApps can too.

(Kinoma created SlingPlayer for Palm OS, so the same notes apply in that case as well.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Kinoma Player 4 EX runs on every Palm OS device made in the last 9 years. It also runs great on multiple Palm OS emulators from other vendors (e.g. StyleTap, Garnet VM).

To set expectations, there are no plans to rewrite parts of Kinoma Player 4 EX to work around "not quite complete" Palm OS implementations. We're confident that if other vendors can do it, MotionApps can too.

(Kinoma created SlingPlayer for Palm OS, so the same notes apply in that case as well.)

-- Charles Wiltgen

Wow, so I guess its up to MotionApps to update Classic so that Kinoma will stream.. hopefully soon, once Kinoma is streaming wma on Classic, we are talking front page news here. Unless, eventually Palm updates Webos to stream wma/wmv natively.... Its a $$ thing I bet
    This inability to stream wma is by far the most frustrating missing feature for me with the Pre. The inability to stream through Classic is the only thing holding me back from purchasing it. Judging from this thread, I'm far from the only person who feels this way. So if Classic can address this, I can only think that it would result in a huge number of purchases. Come on guys, make this a top priority!
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robisindy View Post
    This inability to stream wma is by far the most frustrating missing feature for me with the Pre. The inability to stream through Classic is the only thing holding me back from purchasing it. Judging from this thread, I'm far from the only person who feels this way. So if Classic can address this, I can only think that it would result in a huge number of purchases. Come on guys, make this a top priority!
    Yes I dont know about you all but, wma streaming is a top priority as well. I enjoy listening to alot of AM radio talk shows on my current Treo 700p and have not been able to upgrade to the Pre until there is some type of wma support.
    Probably a stupid question, but is it as simple as copying some system files from my Centro into Classic to skirt the licensing issues?

If this question is inappropriate, I apologize.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joelshooty View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but is it as simple as copying some system files from my Centro into Classic to skirt the licensing issues?

If this question is inappropriate, I apologize.
    I think its alot more complex than that, classic seems to affect the the overall stability of the Pre more than other apps so MotionApps must have more work to do than the other developers.