View Poll Results: What best describes your attitude to paying for the Docs to Go upgrade?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will happily pay for the upgrade.

20 27.03%
  • I will pay for the upgrade without complaint, but think it should be free.

9 12.16%
  • I don't care either way.

11 14.86%
  • I will pay for the upgrade, but I really hate that it's not free.

19 25.68%
  • I will not pay for the upgrade and I'm really mad that it's not free.

15 20.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    I'm not so concerned about the $29 or so it might or might not take to get a full version of Documents To Go on my Pre. If it costs money, I'll buy it, and if it doesn't, great. Either way, it's something I need, so I'll get it.

What I AM concerned about is what kind of message a "petition" like this might send to other prospective developers. As much as we all love our Pres, the fact is there aren't that many of us yet. As a market, we're small potatoes right now. I'd much rather focus on how we can entice developers to bring us as many apps as possible, than gripe about whether Company X charges too much for Application Y.

Whether we like it or not, the way to get developers on board is to show them in no uncertain terms that there's money in it for them. Otherwise, why would they bother with us? If that means I pay for Documents To Go on my Pre, even though it was free with my Treo, then so be it. It's an investment in the Pre's future, which will only help all of us in the long run.

Bottom line, I really don't care whether it's DataViz or someone else who makes money off the first hot selling Pre app, as long as someone does, and soon. We need a poster child for Pre app profitability ASAP, no matter who it is. The sooner that happens, the sooner others will jump on the band wagon. I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm getting awfully tired of calling software companies to ask whether they'll be bring their apps to the Pre, only to hear "We haven't decided yet." Let's not be afraid to show them the money.
    I appreciate that insight. But doesn't it stand to reason that DataViz, or any other developer, would stand to make a great deal of money if Sprint or Palm licensed (subsidized) their program to every Pre? Or are we missing something in how programs like DTG come bundled on so many phones already?

And good luck to you on your development efforts! Remember, I'm not asking DataViz to pay for the upgrade; I think that responsibility should fall to Sprint and/or Palm. DataViz must be paid, no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    I appreciate that insight. But doesn't it stand to reason that DataViz, or any other developer, would stand to make a great deal of money if Sprint or Palm licensed (subsidized) their program to every Pre? Or are we missing something in how programs like DTG come bundled on so many phones already?

And good luck to you on your development efforts! Remember, I'm not asking DataViz to pay for the upgrade; I think that responsibility should fall to Sprint and/or Palm. DataViz must be paid, no matter what.
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. While you're (presumably) correct that Palm and/or Sprint would compensate any developer for a bundled app, that's not really the issue, as I see it. Sooner or later, developers need to see that there's money to be made from us end consumers. There can only be so many bundled apps, after all, before that well runs dry. Eventually we need to start spending, ourselves, in order for the flood gates to open.

As I said, I really don't care whether Documents To Go in particular turns out to be for pay or not. I'm just concerned that by petitioning for ANY app to be free at this early stage, we might be sending a message to developers, however unintentionally, that we're stingy. I'd rather they get the impression that they can bank on us as a good market as soon as possible. Make sense?
    I doubt Palm has lost many sales due to not having a full free version of Docs To Go on the device. I may be wrong, but I don't think competitors like the iPhone or the G1 include full editing for free. If these two statements are true, then why would Palm subsidize it? Maybe for goodwill towards the user base? I think it's a rational decision. I do think it would be wise for Palm to allow other developers to provide competing software at a lower price. If you think this software should be free, Palm should let you give away your version. The thing that would make me angry would be if Dataviz had a monopoly. Free market competition is the best way to determine what the price should be.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. While you're (presumably) correct that Palm and/or Sprint would compensate any developer for a bundled app, that's not really the issue, as I see it. Sooner or later, developers need to see that there's money to be made from us end consumers. There can only be so many bundled apps, after all, before that well runs dry. Eventually we need to start spending, ourselves, in order for the flood gates to open.

As I said, I really don't care whether Documents To Go in particular turns out to be for pay or not. I'm just concerned that by petitioning for ANY app to be free at this early stage, we might be sending a message to developers, however unintentionally, that we're stingy. I'd rather they get the impression that they can bank on us as a good market as soon as possible. Make sense?
    Yes, indeed, it makes sense. You make good points.

I have to take a look at myself and admit to being what some might call "stingy." I have never paid for an app for my phone, partly because I look for value out of habit and sheer economic neccessity. I also like betas: I have the final beta of TCPMP, the most recent release of Skyfire (which I started with on Beta 2) and a couple other programs which have never cost me anything on my Q9c just to round out the functionality I desired. If the apps that were available were more reasonably priced (WM apps are notoriously overpriced) I may have been willing to invest. I hope that the "paid" apps in the WebOS app store that I probably will eventually buy are more reasonably priced. Even I, as tight with my money as I am, will pay for DTG for my pre when it comes out. The neccessity of needing it outweighs the cost.
    To edit documents use Google Docs!...its free and it works on pre now!!...i use the desktop version it seems to have full functionality....if you go to google docs on the pre it might take you to the mobile version the first time.....just scroll down to the bottom and switch to the desktop version....

with google docs and pre im living in the cloud and loving it!....free access to all my docs and spreadsheets with editing anywhere and anytime!...its cool because im getting real work done now....plus iphone cant do this trick because the safari browser doenst play nice with google stuff...

documents to go may turn out to be a great app but at this time i dont need it...
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    The reason I went smart phone from the very beginning was the ability to write and transmit docs & spreadsheets straight from my phone. I'm looking forward to being able to do so again.

In regards to an earlier comment about what a gizmo should or should not do out of the box, i'm pretty sure I can safely say that a phone can be manufactured that could do everything a pc could do - but I don't know that more than a few thousand of us can afford that technology. There has to be a line drawn somewhere...
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    To edit documents use Google Docs!...its free and it works on pre now!!...i use the desktop version it seems to have full functionality....if you go to google docs on the pre it might take you to the mobile version the first time.....just scroll down to the bottom and switch to the desktop version....

with google docs and pre im living in the cloud and loving it!....free access to all my docs and spreadsheets with editing anywhere and anytime!...its cool because im getting real work done now....plus iphone cant do this trick because the safari browser doenst play nice with google stuff...

documents to go may turn out to be a great app but at this time i dont need it...
    I din't think that's an option for me. The Google Docs TOS states that they retain rights to anything I create using their service. I have two issues with that: 1.) private information (not just mine, but others as well); 2.) Intellectual property. In terms of #1, it could cost me my job. So for me, it is important to have a secure, local means of creation and storage of information. Google Docs is not that.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    The reason I went smart phone from the very beginning was the ability to write and transmit docs & spreadsheets straight from my phone. I'm looking forward to being able to do so again.

In regards to an earlier comment about what a gizmo should or should not do out of the box, i'm pretty sure I can safely say that a phone can be manufactured that could do everything a pc could do - but I don't know that more than a few thousand of us can afford that technology. There has to be a line drawn somewhere...
    That was a factor in my deciding to get my Q9c as well. I too look forward to having that capability on my pre so I can ditch the Q.

As far as the "lines" are concerned, we are already holing more computing power in our hands thsn what was common in desktop computing even 10 years ago, and, if you exclude the phone capabilities, we are left with less functionality than we had back then, IMO. Why that is has to do with a lot of different factors, not the least of which is the enormous amount of code that goes into the UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    I din't think that's an option for me. The Google Docs TOS states that they retain rights to anything I create using their service. I have two issues with that: 1.) private information (not just mine, but others as well); 2.) Intellectual property. In terms of #1, it could cost me my job. So for me, it is important to have a secure, local means of creation and storage of information. Google Docs is not that.
    Very true...For sensitive info google docs is a no go....and thanks for the info on the Google Docs TOS im gonna look into that!
    Depending on a data signal to do one's work - no. The possibility of the work being done being available to another entity - absolutely not. The arrival of DTG in a native release will be the signal for me to look at the Pre in a serious light. Right now it does not fit any of my needs.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Google Docs is undoubtedly nice, however, as with all Web-based apps, useless if you don't have a signal to your phone. When I am in the middle of my clinic or hospital, the signal is just adequate for voice, and terrible for data. THat is where a on-device app (such as Epocrates on Classic, despite the tiny tapping lines) is more useful than a cloud-based app like Drugview. And why I miss my Wordsmith which doesn't run on Classic.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Will definitely purchase full version of Doc View once available.

It appears they have updated the menu when you are in a document to link to their website where you can sign up to be notified when it is available. (I may have missed this previously) Hoping the update will be sooner rather than later.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12