Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    the application rounds to the nearest 10th place. I am guessing the math is 1 cent off sometimes when you are using a number of persons greater than 1? If so this is going to happen as not all numbers can be divided evenly. 5 divided by 2 is is not going to be even. Someone is going to have to pay that extra cent and the application cannot display it that way so it rounds up.
    Except it always rounds up, did you see the screenshot i left a few posts up?

23.02 x .06= 1.3812, but the app rounds to 1.39
    same with the tip, should be 4.60 but rounds to 4.61
    and then the total isnt even adding up right, here is the new SS:

Once again thank you for the app, please dont take my posts as complaining.
    Last edited by cmucooper; 07/13/2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: To add screen shot
    Very Nice
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I would love to be able to enter my own tax rate too. In NC we're at 6.75%... that is until they increase it to 8.0% like they're trying to right now. Uggg!
    Quote Originally Posted by reason319 View Post
    I would love to be able to enter my own tax rate too. In NC we're at 6.75%... that is until they increase it to 8.0% like they're trying to right now. Uggg!
    Exactly. Which state has a 6.85% sales tax??
    How about 10.25% and 11.25% options for us poor Chicago folks?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Thank you for the update
    Rather than support every possible tax rate, and make the user look through an ever-increasing list of percentages, why not take advantage of the fact that you're running on a device that can tell you where it's located?

Check out:
    Sales Tax Lookup - Zip Code Sales Tax Search | Sales Tax Rates

And their developer APIs:
    Developer Information - Zip2Tax.com

There may be other similar services too... but this one is "free" for a limited number of personal lookups. I don't know what their actual policy is, but if I were using it in a tip calculator I certainly wouldn't be doing all that many lookups per day (and sales tax rates for the zip codes I tend to hang out in could be locally cached as well).

With respect to Palm APIs, check out the "getReverseLocation" call in the location service. It will return (address and) zip code for a given lat/long (which you can, of course, also obtain from the location service).

:-)
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I don't suppose you can add sales tax for MN (6.875%)... we just changed it.. and apparently we're REALLY picky and go to the thousandth of a percent
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    All good points. I will update the application soon.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Fantastic application, @PreGame!

Weird issue I just noticed: I left the Tip Calculator on after using it at a restaurant (duh where else), and I noticed my phone got very hot after the car ride home. I only had SMS window open also. I closed the Tip Calculator, but after that my Pre ran so sluggish for a couple days. I tried rebooting, taking out battery... nothing worked.

And then today, I went to a (where else) restaurant... opened the Tip Calculator, closed it....... suddenly it was as though my Palm Pre was brand-new again, with *very* reduced lag times.

Does this make any sense??? What could explain this? I'm not sure of any other epiphenomenon that could have caused this.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemketron View Post
    Rather than support every possible tax rate, and make the user look through an ever-increasing list of percentages, why not take advantage of the fact that you're running on a device that can tell you where it's located?

Check out:
    Sales Tax Lookup - Zip Code Sales Tax Search | Sales Tax Rates

And their developer APIs:
    Developer Information - Zip2Tax.com

There may be other similar services too... but this one is "free" for a limited number of personal lookups. I don't know what their actual policy is, but if I were using it in a tip calculator I certainly wouldn't be doing all that many lookups per day (and sales tax rates for the zip codes I tend to hang out in could be locally cached as well).

With respect to Palm APIs, check out the "getReverseLocation" call in the location service. It will return (address and) zip code for a given lat/long (which you can, of course, also obtain from the location service).

:-)
    This would be the ideal solution if you could find a truly free service. I'll do some searching around.
    n the meantime letting users enter their own tax rate would be fine.
    8.75 here
    thx
    This divides the bill evenly among people, right?

Can I suggest an option where it divides it according to how much your dish was?

Let's say John's order is $20, and Bill's order is $9. A calculator that let's Bill pay for exactly what he owes and where he doesn't have to pay for half of the bill would be nice.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speak easy View Post
    This divides the bill evenly among people, right?

Can I suggest an option where it divides it according to how much your dish was?

Let's say John's order is $20, and Bill's order is $9. A calculator that let's Bill pay for exactly what he owes and where he doesn't have to pay for half of the bill would be nice.
    run the application 2 times. Enter 20 for john and it will show his tax and tip, then enter $9 for bill
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Awesome App. Thanks!!!!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Awesome App. Thanks!!!!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Awesome App. Thanks!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    run the application 2 times. Enter 20 for john and it will show his tax and tip, then enter $9 for bill
    Cool so it does divide it proportionally. Ill try it later. Thanks.
    PreGame,

Congratulations!

PreCentral has you in the top ten Homebrew apps so far!

Look at how far you have brought this!

- Craig
    Great!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast