Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I tried to send a text msg. to a contact and received an automatic response that it was an invalid address because it wasn't 10 digits. I tried several times to edit the contact's mobile address to add the area code, but when I hit Done, it immediately reverts back and removes the change. So right now it's impossible to text this contact.
    Tks for help.
    Rego
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Are you syncing with google and/or facebook?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    The facebook contact number can neither be changed nor deleted. Trying to use it will result in an error. Create a second entry for that contact (i.e. in Google contacts) with the proper number and set it as the primary after linking them in Synergy. This will eliminate your problem.

(Copied from http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1726486 )

Brett
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Ah, as an old Treo user I forgot contacts are now stored at Google. Still, it seems strange that the Pre gives me the opportunity to edit a phone no. if it doesn't work that way. It's fun trying to figure this all out....Thanks
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Went to my Google acct. and changed the tp no. for the contact (which did not revert back). But it still doesn't show up on my Pre. Tried Backup, but that didn't make any difference. Do I really have to fill in all the info for a duplicate contact by hand?? There's gotta be a more efficient way than that. And how do I "link them in Synergy"?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    - Type the person's name.
    - Click their name.
    - Click it again.
    - Click edit
    - Click + New Phone Number
    - Add the correct number
    - Go back to the person's info (not the edit screen)
    - Click their name on top where there's a number next to a little thumbnail
    - Click the google accoutn name
    - Set as Primary Profile

Let me know if that works.

If not, make a totally new contact (same name) and just add the correct phone number. Then click the name after searching and click "Link more profiles..." and combine them.

Brett
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    it should eventually show up on the other end on it's own. Probably within 15-30 min. Not likely to be immediate. Gotta give it time to sync.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    - Type the person's name.
    - Click their name.
    - Click it again.
    - Click edit
    - Click + New Phone Number
    - Add the correct number
    - Go back to the person's info (not the edit screen)
    - Click their name on top where there's a number next to a little thumbnail
    - Click the google accoutn name
    - Set as Primary Profile

Let me know if that works.

If not, make a totally new contact (same name) and just add the correct phone number. Then click the name after searching and click "Link more profiles..." and combine them.

Brett
    Thanks Bret,
    I did your first 2 steps & noticed that the area code had been added to the mobile number now. (This is after I added it in my Google contacts an hour ago and, of course, tried to add it on my Pre several hrs. ago.) I guess it just took an hour for it to sync (or something like that?). Is there any way to make it sync to the Pre right away?

OK, from the Help app on the phone (yes, why not look there?) I find (abbreviated):

"2-way sync is available with Google accts. Contacts are sync'd to your phone once the online accts have been set up in your phone's Contacts app. When you add or edit contacts in these accounts on your phone, the changes are sync'd to the online acct."

So I guess the key is to edit on your phone and then wait a few hours. Is that possible? Again, is there any way to speed that up? When I text someone it is usually time-sensitive.

Tks. again
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Tks., ssrjazz. It looks like you are right.
    Rego
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    FYI--Also from Help app:

You can sync your contacts (and calendar) immediately: Contacts (or Calendar)/Preferences & Accounts/Sync Now.