1.    #1  
    I have a weird but unfortunately repeatable problem. I can't seem to "reply" to emails. I can send an e-mail from scratch, but if I try to reply the outgoing mail gets stuck, I get numerous alerts about it not having sent, and I can't do anything with the mail stuck in the "outbox". (Like, I can't forward it to myself to re-send from another machine.)

I'm using a POP account from a random email service provider. (Emailthatworks).

If I can't resolve this I'm going to have to return the thing.

any suggestions?
    My gut instinct is that you are having an authentication issue with the outgoing e-mail server (or in some cases you are trying to authenticate when you are not required to do so).

What are your outgoing POP settings?

Edit - Just went to Emailthatworks website.....looks like you should be using IMAP. Try that and report back.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    My gut instinct is that you are having an authentication issue with the outgoing e-mail server (or in some cases you are trying to authenticate when you are not required to do so).

What are your outgoing POP settings?

Edit - Just went to Emailthatworks website.....looks like you should be using IMAP. Try that and report back.
    I prefer to use POP -- I like to store my mail on my home computer, and don't want it deleted off the server when I clear it out of my gadget. Pop worked fine on the Treo.

Outgoing POP settings are:
    m1.imap-partners.net
    Use Authentication = off
    Port 25
    encryption: none

Note that it seems to work when I create a new email and send, it just fails when I try to reply to something.

(or maybe it's a coincidence, and it sometimes fails, but all those times just happened to be replies. In fact, I just tested a forward, a reply, and a new message, and all three failed. I have, however, sent a few messages that worked. And haven't changed any of the settings between working attempts and failing attempts.)

I also don't know how to set up an imap account on the Pre. It gives you very few options. The automatic set-up thing (that worked for gmail, my other imap account) failed with emailthatworks, and as far as I can tell the "manual" set-up only works for POP.

After clearing the junk out of the "outbox" I sent another message. (A "new" message, neither forwarded nor replied) and it worked. Took a long time, somehow, but worked fine.
    Last edited by puzzlegal; 07/01/2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: to add last bit.
    As far as I can tell your problem is that you are setting up POP email and trying to connect it to a IMAP server. That isn't going to work.

According to what I'm reading on the Emailthatworks support page they don't support POP:
    Phorum :: Technical Support :: Setup for end-users

I would delete your current Emailthatworks profile and create a new one from scratch but choose the manual setup (you can find that in the drop down menu when creating a new mail profile/account). Use the settings from the Emailthatworks support page.
  5.    #5  
    1) Accessing it as POP worked perfectly on the Treo. Once I got the setting right it was 100% reliable (which is more than I can say for my Comcast or gmail accts on the Treo.)
    2) They don't provide active support for POP, but say on the website that it should work. I checked that before buying service from them.
    3) Setting it up as POP works for receiving mail, and sometimes works for sending mail, even on the Pre.

So if POP doesn't work on the Pre, there's something wrong with the Pre or the settings. Nonetheless, despite the PITA of IMAP on a high-volume acct on a portable gadget, I'd be willing to try it, except that:

4) I couldn't find any way to manually set up an IMAP account on the Pre. The manual setup appears to have an unchangeable POP setting.
  6.    #6  
    Follow-up question: If I do find a way to try the IMAP route, do you have any suggestions for how to deal with the PITA?

1) I need mail to actually download onto the gadget. I frequently refer to my e-mail from places where internet service is spotty or unavailable.
    2) I use my home computer (not some unlimited on-line server) as the one true repository for my e-mail, so I can't have any action on the gadget delete e-mail off the server before my home computer has a chance to look at it. But I get enough e-mail that I don't want to keep too much of it on the gadget. (I do want to keep a little of it for a couple of weeks, however, so just saying "look at today's mail" doesn't work.) I use my e-mail to organize my life, and it's frustrating not to be able to get at important ones.
    3) I get a lot of spam. I currently deal with that by having the home computer suck spam off the server, so it's not there when the gadget goes to look (except in rare instances when the timing lets the gadget see it first.) The home computer has decent spam detection, and this has been working well. When the home computer goes off-line, I can tell because my gadget is overwhelmed by spam.
    4) When I go on vacation I set the home computer to pull higher-volume mailing list mail off the server, too, so that the gadget only sees stuff I might want to respond to on vacation.

So currently the home computer interacts with this account using IMAP and the gadget uses POP downloading, set to never delete stuff from the server. This has been working pretty well, although frankly, the IMAP at home has caused some issues and I wouldn't mind going back to a pure POP set-up. But if there's a good way to replace this functionality with functionality that works in a pure IMAP setting I could try that.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, your comments inspired me to fiddle with the authentications settings. I turned on authentication, and it appears to be working. I don't know why it sometimes worked without that, but I have successfully replied to and forwarded mail. I'm crossing my fingers, but I believe you've fixed my problem.

I did provide a password both outgoing and incoming on the Treo (and also in Classic, where my 3rd party e-mail app still works, except that it's very clumsy without a stylus.) I'm often a little fuzzy on which settings do what, and I probably just screwed up on the Pre.
    Glad to hear that you got things worked out!