1.    #1  
    It seems like the wireless connections that Pre stores uses only SSID (Network Name). There is no Mac Address storage. This essentially can make the Pre a war driving phone without the user realizing it.

Example: Linksys. Who hasn't seen an open Linksys SSID or 100 of them. One was in a place that offered free WiFi. I connected. Now I'm on wireless anytime I go through a neighborhood and run into an Open router with the SSID Linksys. I can jump onto their network and use it without even realizing it. Same thing would happen with Belkin54g or some of the other more common default SSIDs.

This isn't a factor as much with 2wire, as they have a more unique 3 digit code and most come with at least wep enabled.

Anyhow, I just wanted to throw this out there and see what other thoughts people had.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Um, isn't this true for most Wi-Fi enabled devices?

My laptop does this as well, as did my iPhone/iPod touch.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    That's a problem with unsecured Wi-Fi networks where the owner hasn't even changed the SSID Not really a Pre specific issue.
  4.    #4  
    I didn't think my laptop does this. I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and I haven't noticed it. Possibly it does. I just assumed the Mac address was also available to determine if the SSID is in fact the intended one. Might be wrong on that.
    Pretty sure my VISTA laptop does this.

I have a Linksys SSID that is memorized that has security enabled on it. When I'm at home one of my neighbors has a Linksys SSID and their network is unsecured. My laptop recognizes it but rather than "KNOW" that it's a different network it just says something like "the security settings for this network don't match the profiles settings" or something to that extent. From that I gather it thinks it's the same network with different settings.
    My Macbook Pro does this for sure. I used to have a router in my dorm and a router at home. Both had the same SSID and my Macbook Pro automatically connected to either even though I only had it set to remember my home network.