Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I love the Sprint Navigation on the Pre. I use often and it only has trouble in the country where it has a harder time triangulating. In and around Columbus, Ohio, it is great.
    I've had to use it a few times getting to places, actually not as bas as I thought it would be, but I find myself using google maps more. The turn by turn directions are good, but if you hit a detour or something one basically has to pull off the road to redo the system or it gets confused.

Other than that it's been pretty solid.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I had great success with it. It got me to my friends apt in boston flawlessly.
    Thanks for the review! I have a GPS system (can't remember the name) and every time I went off path it would take forever to recaculate and by the time it did that I missed the turn and would have to recalculate again. This review might've just saved me money on a new GPS! I'll have to try it out. Especially with an out of state roadtrip coming up.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    I like the fact that it gets map updates several times a year. My garmin updates the maps once a year and you have to pay.. I have been using telenav with my treo, and now my pre and it always seems to know where the new streets are.
    I live on a new street and it is already on my phone.. Awesome. Not to mention traffic.. Even better..
    Next time you update your Garmin, they have a new update program that is like $130 for lifetime updates with 4 updates per year
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Ok, I just drove for 8 days from Chicago, Illinois - through Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and back, so I'd like to think that was somewhat of a test for the Sprint navigation.

Overall, I was pleased. However - there was one big problem for me, and that is the fact that I have to have a Sprint signal to initialize the GPS. When I was driving through hundreds of miles of barren desert on my way to the Grand Canyon and was roaming or having zero signal at all the entire way, I had to make ABSOLUTELY sure that I did not close the navigation (which I sometimes do by accident), or even switch to the map view and back, or else I would not be able to reconnect. Sure, the GPS would still be able to find me, but not being able to sign in through a Sprint signal would render the navigation useless, and when you're in the middle of nowhere, getting lost is not fun, especially when the next gas station is 50-100 miles away.

Wyoming and South Dakota showed very long stretches of no signal whatsoever for me, as did a lot of Utah, so I had to connect up to navigation via wi-fi at the hotel I stayed at in order to get the GPS to initialize, then keep the Pre on all day long as I drove.

I wish there were an option to cache maps ahead of a trip and store them on that 8gb we have. It did very well overall, but fortunately I had an old-school map for some areas where my GPS wouldn't initialize.
    The GPS works great for my needs. The garmin just became so bulky, I work field support for a school district. Its nice to be able to just type in the school name, and drive. Which Garmin does do, but I don't use the garmin every day, so pulling it out can be a pita. This gives me the oppurtunity to do a quick search and go on my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    Ok, I just drove for 8 days from Chicago, Illinois - through Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and back, so I'd like to think that was somewhat of a test for the Sprint navigation.

Overall, I was pleased. However - there was one big problem for me, and that is the fact that I have to have a Sprint signal to initialize the GPS. When I was driving through hundreds of miles of barren desert on my way to the Grand Canyon and was roaming or having zero signal at all the entire way, I had to make ABSOLUTELY sure that I did not close the navigation (which I sometimes do by accident), or even switch to the map view and back, or else I would not be able to reconnect. Sure, the GPS would still be able to find me, but not being able to sign in through a Sprint signal would render the navigation useless, and when you're in the middle of nowhere, getting lost is not fun, especially when the next gas station is 50-100 miles away.

Wyoming and South Dakota showed very long stretches of no signal whatsoever for me, as did a lot of Utah, so I had to connect up to navigation via wi-fi at the hotel I stayed at in order to get the GPS to initialize, then keep the Pre on all day long as I drove.

I wish there were an option to cache maps ahead of a trip and store them on that 8gb we have. It did very well overall, but fortunately I had an old-school map for some areas where my GPS wouldn't initialize.
    If you didn't have a sprint signal, how were you able to download the maps?

I myself am wondering how to "plan" for areas without Sprint service, and use GPS to navigate. I didn't know that leaving open the card would hold the signal for me, thanks!
    Does Sprint/TelNav have some place to suggest alternate routes? There are a couple of routings they use in the Hampton Roads, VA area that kind of leave me scratching my head. (and, as an aside, I also would like to see them use the MMBT as an alternate to the HRBT when the traffic is backed up there.)

I mean, this is stuff that a resident of the area would already know, but someone driving through or visiting is going to end up being stuck in traffic or going out of their way if they follow Sprint's directions.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    If you didn't have a sprint signal, how were you able to download the maps?

I myself am wondering how to "plan" for areas without Sprint service, and use GPS to navigate. I didn't know that leaving open the card would hold the signal for me, thanks!
    That's what baffles me. Actually, I think it caches the maps TEMPORARILY (like while the card is open) for your route and simply relies on the GPS to get you along. The reason I think it caches the maps is because if I had a LONG route set up (like through 2 states), I would often not be able to open another card - the camera - mp3 player, none of that. I think it was holding all of my route in the Pre's RAM. It would be nice to just SAVE the maps permanently to the Pre's storage.

But if you happen to lose the route or close the card accidentally, my suggestion is to find a wi-fi near a McDonald's or Super 8 or other hotel and relink up.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by summer smile View Post
    Does Sprint/TelNav have some place to suggest alternate routes? There are a couple of routings they use in the Hampton Roads, VA area that kind of leave me scratching my head. (and, as an aside, I also would like to see them use the MMBT as an alternate to the HRBT when the traffic is backed up there.)

I mean, this is stuff that a resident of the area would already know, but someone driving through or visiting is going to end up being stuck in traffic or going out of their way if they follow Sprint's directions.
    I would have liked this as well, but all I could find were the "Avoid highways", etc. that are in the preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by rleibo View Post
    Only way to make it louder is by getting accessory like the Motorokr T505. It sends the voice notifications through your car speaker system using FM radio. The voice can be made as loud as you want, although the voice still sounds a bit distorted, surprisingly.
    That's one thing that annoys me about this app, is the fairly terrible audio quality of the voice prompts. I know they're compressing the hell out of them, but would it kill them to retain a *little* higher frequency response? Running it through an aux input while playing Pandora, etc., the voice prompts are almost unintelligible by comparison. It sounds like this poor woman is giving me directions over a walkie-talkie, while underwater in a flooded basement... :/

--John
    I keep getting this message no matter where I am at(outside,in car, in home, in office):
    CURRENT LOCATION NOT FOUND. We could not find your current location. Please make sure you have a clear view of the sky.
    Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    I keep getting this message no matter where I am at(outside,in car, in home, in office):
    CURRENT LOCATION NOT FOUND. We could not find your current location. Please make sure you have a clear view of the sky.
    Do a simple reset of the phone (found under "reset options" on "Device information" on the launcher). This should solve the problem. Some people report quicker success by dialing ##GPS# on the phone dialer, but this has never worked for me.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    i've been using it regularly and like it a lot.... it is just as accurate and has no delays....just like a normal gps should operate....

question- is there way to see the entire route to your destination, while driving or even before you start the trip? on my Garmin, i tap the current road and it gives me all future turns, etc

thanks.
    yes you can all you have to do is zoom out and it will eventually show you the entire route.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK View Post
    Do a simple reset of the phone (found under "reset options" on "Device information" on the launcher). This should solve the problem. Some people report quicker success by dialing ##GPS# on the phone dialer, but this has never worked for me.
    i have the same issue and doing reset options did not work for me anyone have other suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK View Post
    Partial erase or full erase? I tried the restart and ##GPS# with no success.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Open "Location Services" and turn off the Background Data Collection option. I haven't had any problems with Sprint Nav not being able to find my location since I turned it off over 2 weeks ago.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    My first experience with spring navigation was on saturday and I have to say I give it a A+++++. Me and my mom were lost looking for a target in long island. I didn't know the exact address so what I did was go to "search" and under category I put in "department stores". A list came up and I found Target and just clicked on it. The GPS loaded up super fast and gave us directions from our current location in real time as we were driving. We were just both amazed at what this phone can do. I have to say that I am 100% satisfied with my pre and sprint navigation.
    If you use the wired headset, included with the Palm Pre, with Sprint Nav, the voice guidance directions will come through loud and clear. I am looking for a bluetooth device that perform that function wirelessly, but have not found one.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast