Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    i've been using it regularly and like it a lot.... it is just as accurate and has no delays....just like a normal gps should operate....

question- is there way to see the entire route to your destination, while driving or even before you start the trip? on my Garmin, i tap the current road and it gives me all future turns, etc

thanks.
    If you tap right above the gesture area it will give you a turn by turn summary for the full route. One of my favorite features as I posted in the above post.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Actually, unless my Pre is unique, the GPS doesn't work if I don't have cell coverage. There are still places in the US with poor or spotty coverage.

I assume this is because the maps and POI data for sprint nav are not on the Pre but in the cloud. Thus it's entirely useless as a stand alone GPS.

It is cool to have on my person at all times, and it does work well. Just isn't going to replace my regular GPS (iGO based) or my Netbook with streets and trips, ExpertGPS and Nat Geo Topo!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanamerican View Post
    If you tap right above the gesture area it will give you a turn by turn summary for the full route. One of my favorite features as I posted in the above post.
    I was looking for that and never found it, thanks!
    Functionality wise, Telenav seems fine but their GPS database is complete ****.

Take this route for instance: Map

Observe that google maps is pretty simple, turn left onto the 17-92 street, then 5.5 miles down turn right.

This same exact route on sprint Telenav makes me want to throw my pre out the window. It literally gives about 30 alerts during that 10 minute trip:

Continue on S. Orlando Ave in .8 miles
    Continue on S. Orlando Ave in .4 mles
    Continue on S. Orlando Ave
    Continue on N. Orlando Ave in .7 miles
    Continue on N. Orlando Ave in .4 miles
    Continue on N. Orlando Ave in
    Continue on Route 17 in .8 miles
    etc...

Figuring the main reason I am using the pre as my GPS unit instead of my stand-alone is so I can have it go through my speakers while listening to music, this annoys the hell out of me because I can never listen to a song as it's constantly interrupting me. My stand alone gps on that same track just says it at the 2 mile mark, .5 mile mark, and at the actual turn, that's it.

If telenav could STFU more, I'd be happy with it.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    Functionality wise, Telenav seems fine but their GPS database is complete ****.

Take this route for instance: Map

Observe that google maps is pretty simple, turn left onto the 17-92 street, then 5.5 miles down turn right.

This same exact route on sprint Telenav makes me want to throw my pre out the window. It literally gives about 30 alerts during that 10 minute trip:

Continue on S. Orlando Ave in .8 miles
    Continue on S. Orlando Ave in .4 mles
    Continue on S. Orlando Ave
    Continue on N. Orlando Ave in .7 miles
    Continue on N. Orlando Ave in .4 miles
    Continue on N. Orlando Ave in
    Continue on Route 17 in .8 miles
    etc...

Figuring the main reason I am using the pre as my GPS unit instead of my stand-alone is so I can have it go through my speakers while listening to music, this annoys the hell out of me because I can never listen to a song as it's constantly interrupting me. My stand alone gps on that same track just says it at the 2 mile mark, .5 mile mark, and at the actual turn, that's it.

If telenav could STFU more, I'd be happy with it.
    I think it alerts because although the names of the streets appears to be the same you are going through 5 different cities (Fern Park, Casselberry, Maitland, Winter Park and Orlando). During the city changes for some reason it wants to remind you to continue. That is irritating but 17-92 has about 5 or 6 different names if I remember right having lived in Orlando for over 25 years up until just 3 years ago.... Not an excuse for all the alerts......
    This is the best thing since sliced bread. I have a great Nav. system in my car but it is so easy to use my phone. I really like this app and it is so easy to use. Plus it is free unlike AT&T, so happy I switched.
    Quote Originally Posted by swgdan View Post
    I think it alerts because although the names of the streets appears to be the same you are going through 5 different cities (Fern Park, Casselberry, Maitland, Winter Park and Orlando). During the city changes for some reason it wants to remind you to continue. That is irritating but 17-92 has about 5 or 6 different names if I remember right having lived in Orlando for over 25 years up until just 3 years ago.... Not an excuse for all the alerts......
    Yeah you got the cities right, except for Fern Park .

And yeah, I understand the different names thing, but it still is shoddy design as other GPS units and google maps on the phone can handle it correctly.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    has anyone found a way to make the voice notifications for this app louder? i find myself needing to hold the phone to my hear to hear it. the volume on the phone is on max. thanks.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I absolutely love this app. It came in very handy when I had to drive out to LA (from SF) in an emergency and then again when I went to Houston. Saved me time and the headache of either taking a standalone GPS/asking for a map/or paying for a GPS at the rental company.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Anyone know if it's possible to use coordinates as the location when entering at the Sprint Navigation website?

I've previously used Telenav on a Treo 700p and the Telenav site let you enter decimal degree coordinates at the website as a location. This was great, as plenty of my favorite destinations are with a proper address and Telenav has always done a fine job untangling forest roads for me. I was excited that Sprint Nav was powered by Telenav, but the Sprint site doesn't seem to want to let me enter any coords for the location.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated if anyone here happens to know. I couldn't find anything about it at all at the Sprint page.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Only way to make it louder is by getting accessory like the Motorokr T505. It sends the voice notifications through your car speaker system using FM radio. The voice can be made as loud as you want, although the voice still sounds a bit distorted, surprisingly.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    ^ if your car has an aux input you can use an auxiliary cable to transmit it that way. No need to get any accessories.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I own a TomTom One and Navigon 2200T. Navigation on the Pre is honestly better than both of my stand alone units. There's nothing wrong with TomTom or the Navigon, besides the fact that they take eons to get a signal -- sometimes up to 5 minutes. The pre literally takes seconds to get a signal when I'm outside. Match that up with rock solid navigation, text-to-speech, etc.... and the fact that it's on my phone, which I have with me all the time (making it more valuable than a stand-alone GPS), it's a no brainer. Pre wins!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Mine works good for the most part. It took me the wrong way twice but other than that i love it!
    I have a pioneer deck in my car with a big touch screen, and the navigation. This is a lot more convenient to use compared to fumbling with the phone for navigation. That said the phone nav is great to have as a backup since it's always in my pocket. Great for rental cars or ridding with friends who don't have GPS and suck with directions. I could see how someone could use it as primary but they would need to figure out a good mounting solution and as others said, what do you do when you drive out of data coverage?
    Anyone know where the image directory for this app is?

Edit:

/usr/palm/applications/com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation/images
    Last edited by socca1157; 08/11/2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Found Solution
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post

Tapping on the map screen will bring up a menu for Trip and Traffic Summary and Search Along Route. The former allows you to see a turn by turn style directions, traffic alerts along the path, or an overhead view of the route. The later is a powerful feature which is also lacking on our Garmin. We can search for items from where we are, but not along the route. This is great for food, fuel, motels, etc.
    which garmin do you have? i have the nuvi 350 and can search POI's for current location, along route, destination and other city.
    Count me in as pleasantly surprised. But, my GPS experience is not with a "standard" stand-alone unit.

'Til now, I've been using Delorme Street Atlas on a Palm (T3 then Tx) with a bluetooth GPS. That setup was a pain when it came to route planning, as you had to download maps section by section from the desktop software. Also, routing on the handheld was worse than nonexistent (i.e. the function was present, but trying to use it would suck the life out of you).

But, as we were nearing Devil's Tower this summer, the Sprint Nav was brought to its knees for lack of cell signal. Then again, it doesn't exactly take a GPS to find DT when you're that close.

Regards,
    Tom
    It worked pretty well for me this last weekend, but it just doesn't work as well as my garmin here in the midwest, granted my Pre is on Alltel and I am using telnav....so ya.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    ^ if your car has an aux input you can use an auxiliary cable to transmit it that way. No need to get any accessories.
    my car actually does have aux input, this solution is perfect, tried it out yesterday.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast