Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 113
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    I've been going back and forth on what to do for my next GPS. I have a Garmin StreetPilot C320 which has served me well, but it's time for a unit with Text to Speech and traffic updates. I was leaning towards a Nuvi 265WT with lifetime traffic, but after reading the positive reviews here, it has me reconsidering whether to spend the dough. Has anyone here actually replaced with their standalone units with the Pre + Sprint Nav?
    I don't think it is really possible unless you are only seeking guidance in the city. My wife got into trouble trying to use it in outlying areas, where data is spotty. A stand alone won't stop with spotty data. But a $100 nuvi will be enough to supplement when the Pre doesn't work.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 07/08/2009 at 08:22 AM.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by balboadave View Post
    Do you have the option turned on that includes spoken street names?
    Yes I do, but that has nothing to do with the timing of the alerts. The alert that tells you to turn right now should be sounded within 500 ft of the turn, as opposed to .3 or .2 miles away from the turn.

    Its NOT a GPS accuracy issue either, because if you look at the indicator that tells you your distance from the turn, its spot on!

    So, they just need to adjust when the audible alert is played.

    I had Garmin and BT GPS receiver for my Centro, and the audible only sounds within 500 ft of the actual turn, reducing the possibility that there are other streets in between your current location and the turn you need to make.

    Another thing I'd like to see Sprint Nav integrate (a feature that Garmin for Palm Centro has) - is displaying the speed limit in the area you're driving in.

    That was a REALLY handy feature that I miss. Sometimes you're in an area and you're not quite sure how fast you should be going, with the Garmin, I'd just look at my Centro's screen and it would have the speed limit posted.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Yes I do, but that has nothing to do with the timing of the alerts. The alert that tells you to turn right now should be sounded within 500 ft of the turn, as opposed to .3 or .2 miles away from the turn.

    Its NOT a GPS accuracy issue either, because if you look at the indicator that tells you your distance from the turn, its spot on!

    So, they just need to adjust when the audible alert is played.

    I had Garmin and BT GPS receiver for my Centro, and the audible only sounds within 500 ft of the actual turn, reducing the possibility that there are other streets in between your current location and the turn you need to make.

    Another thing I'd like to see Sprint Nav integrate (a feature that Garmin for Palm Centro has) - is displaying the speed limit in the area you're driving in.

    That was a REALLY handy feature that I miss. Sometimes you're in an area and you're not quite sure how fast you should be going, with the Garmin, I'd just look at my Centro's screen and it would have the speed limit posted.
    I wonder if this is a problem with speed adjustment of pre-turn time. I remember using the Garmin eMap on a bicycle and would get an alert crazy early, because it was using a fixed distance. When they changed to a distance based on current speed, the turn alerts changed to satisfactory.
  4. #24  
    I have a Garmin 765T and the Pre, and on 6/22/09 my Nuvi died (so long good friend), unfortunately it was directing me to a new restaurant for my anniversary dinner.. Thank gawd for the Pre and Sprint Navi. Saved the night, and used it until Garmin sent out a new unit. Now I use the Pre for when I'm away from my vehicle, or just looking while on foot. I use the Nuvi for normal, as it has traffic, and a bigger screen.
  5. #25  
    After several tests, I find the routing engine in Sprint Navigation to be extremely poor. It chooses weird routes and it will eventually state that it "can't find your location." It re-routes very slowly and seemingly intelligently for me. Additionally, the volume for voice prompts is extremely low and you can't use it landscape. The phone gets extremely warm during use. Sprint Nav is worthless if you can't get a data signal. I also have never been a fan of Teleatlas maps (though they are supposedly on par with Navteq)

    I would never choose Sprint Nav over a standalone GPS unit. I normally always have a standalone GPS on me. I would only use Sprint nav in severe circumstances or just to show it off to someone. Your mileage may vary, since I'm a GPS purist and the owner of several Garmin and Magellan models.
  6. Jmetz's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #26  
    I had Garmin Mobile XT on my Touch Pro. It worked so well I dumped my Magellan RoadMate. In my experience, Sprint Nav has been awful! I'm desperately trying to find a way to put XT on my Pre. I really don't want to use Sprint Nav. In the same respect I don't want to buy a standalone either.
  7. #27  
    I love using it when Im in a jam. Much better than google maps. i dont have to look at the damn phone to see when to turn. Wish it could be a little bit faster or I drive slower so i wont miss a turn.
  8. pakuz_757's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #28  
    Great Review...thanks!
  9. #29  
    Nice review. Thanks.
  10. arhoolie's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #30  
    I find this app very frustrating and highly unreliable. Why? Because it frequently fails to get my current location for inexplicable reasons. For example, yesterday and again today it failed to do so when I was on my way home from work. But this morning, it worked fine. All three times, I was traveling my normal daily commute. But last week, it worked fine on BOTH legs. Go figure.

    I've called Sprint and they had me do a hard reset, but the basic unreliability continues. I might use it as a adjunct to Google maps (or a paper one) but I certainly wouldn't depend on it in an unfamiliar situation.
  11. PreGk's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by arhoolie View Post
    I find this app very frustrating and highly unreliable. Why? Because it frequently fails to get my current location for inexplicable reasons. For example, yesterday and again today it failed to do so when I was on my way home from work. But this morning, it worked fine. All three times, I was traveling my normal daily commute. But last week, it worked fine on BOTH legs. Go figure.

    I've called Sprint and they had me do a hard reset, but the basic unreliability continues. I might use it as a adjunct to Google maps (or a paper one) but I certainly wouldn't depend on it in an unfamiliar situation.
    Happens all the time, and I use it on a daily basis. I usually have to swipe it away and reload it until it works.
  12. jon6535's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #32  
    I use sprint nav all the time. As far as needing a signal, if Im going somewhere where there might be spotty signal, I put the phone on force roam as verizon has a signal pretty much everywhere. I think it works extremely well for being a cell phone. it seems loud enough for me, and mine never really heats up to much using gps, maybe a little warmer than listening to music. Get a car charger though, it will eat up your battery pretty quickly.
  13. yiffzer's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    In short, the pre is exactly what i needed. Free GPS navigation with no upkeep costs that works just as well if not better than most of the standalone gps units. When i found out the pre had this app - and that it was free of charge, i was sold.
    WTF? I thought it was NOT free. You had to pay for it monthly. Am I wrong? I am so confused.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    WTF? I thought it was NOT free. You had to pay for it monthly. Am I wrong? I am so confused.
    Technically you are paying for it, its part of the Everything plan.
  15. arhoolie's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Happens all the time, and I use it on a daily basis. I usually have to swipe it away and reload it until it works.
    I tried that several times yesterday while on the way home. It still failed. I must have tried at least 3 to four times.
  16. antmon1's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #36  
    i've been using it regularly and like it a lot.... it is just as accurate and has no delays....just like a normal gps should operate....

    question- is there way to see the entire route to your destination, while driving or even before you start the trip? on my Garmin, i tap the current road and it gives me all future turns, etc

    thanks.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  17. yiffzer's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Technically you are paying for it, its part of the Everything plan.
    I don't think I am on the Everything Plan. I only pay $30/mo for unlimited data and texting. I don't know if that includes the GPS.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    i've been using it regularly and like it a lot.... it is just as accurate and has no delays....just like a normal gps should operate....

    question- is there way to see the entire route to your destination, while driving or even before you start the trip? on my Garmin, i tap the current road and it gives me all future turns, etc

    thanks.
    I know there is a view that has the over head map. I don't know if it does all of a long route. Not able to check right now, but I believe tapping on the navigating screen and selecting and option that puts you with the turn by turn. One option is an overhead.
  19. Kiiski's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #39  
    I had it on my Instinct. It seems even more accurate on the Pre than the Instinct. I used to get a ton of "You are now off track", then "You are now on track" without even moving, haven't had that with the Pre.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    When I heard about the GPS navigation included with the Pre and data plan, I just assumed that it would be OK. I assumed it would work, I just didn't think it would work well. I was wrong.

    Our current GPS needs are being met with two Garmin Nuvi's. The most recent being the 650, with a data update loaded within the month. I though there was no way that the Sprint Navigation could do better than the Garmin. Again, I was wrong.

    I decided to use the GPS to "find" my way home from work. This experience is why I went out to collect some screen shots and write this review. I was impressed. The routing quality blows my Garmin out of the water. So does the routing speed. The work is offloaded to a fast server, rather than on a small CPU. When you divert off the given route, recalculating is nearly instantaneous. With the Garmin, it can take a few seconds. The kicker was that the routing was dead on, nearly the best way to get home. Over 20 miles with city, interstate, neighborhood, with options to come in from 3 directions. Sprint Navigation got it right.

    The next surprise were the traffic alerts. These are built into the new GPS models that we haven't purchased yet, and that require a subscription. I was warned about traffic ahead and could tap the traffic icon to re-route. This re-routing took the same "short-cut" I always take home to avoid the congestion.

    All during the drive, I was listening to music via Pandora. When voice prompts were given, the music was muted. If I missed a prompt, tapping the yellow icon on the top, left would repeat the current message after again muting the music.

    While navigating, you can go into other apps just fine. I was in Spaz, Email, WiFi and others, when I was stopped by a train for a few minutes. The navigation icon stays in the notification bar. When tapped it indicated that navigation was still in progress and another tap takes me back to the moving map.

    The map display can be configured to 2D or 3D views. 3D is nicer for highway and typical trip navigation. 2D can be more accurate and less confusing when routing in tight city streets. Both have generous zoom ranges.

    Nearing my home, I was surprised by some of the voice prompts. The Garmin always announces some of the streets as County Road 600 N or County Road 500 N, etc. The Pre actually knew the street names. This is a great help. Most street signs are names, not the numbers. Being able to confirm the street name is a nice addition.

    Tapping on the map screen will bring up a menu for Trip and Traffic Summary and Search Along Route. The former allows you to see a turn by turn style directions, traffic alerts along the path, or an overhead view of the route. The later is a powerful feature which is also lacking on our Garmin. We can search for items from where we are, but not along the route. This is great for food, fuel, motels, etc. In addition, a map that feels very similar to the way Google Maps displays locations is available to view relative positions of the options. The implementation is well thought out and executed.

    One unexpected feature that feels currently more like a novelty is the Share Address option. This allows you to text the current navigational address to someone else. The text message suggests that using Sprint Navigation would be a great use of this address. The problem being that you can't copy the address out of the un-editable Messages field. Hopefully Palm will add copy from uneditable text soon, I'm sure they are working on it.

    Will this replace the Garmin? Not quite yet. The one problem is that cell coverage is required for map data. However, we will be using the Pre for all our driving near big cities and along interstates where cell coverage is good. The Garmin is relegated to navigational duty out in the boonies.
    Ive used tons of GPS' and this is by far the best one I've used. Its never failed me once. The options available in telenav are far superior (i think) than a standalone GPS device. The speed of bringing up a route and changing a route when veered off course amazes me. I was a little frustrated when I couldnt find the route summary, then just today realized by tapping above the gesture area brought up the option I use the most.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions