View Poll Results: Do you want a Shazam app for WebOS?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

38 95.00%
  • No.

1 2.50%
  • Don't Need/Won't Use.

1 2.50%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Just emailed them. This is the #1 app I miss from my iPhone and BB.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I would like too have both!
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Check this thread for a partial solution:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-recorder.html
    While that find of the Hardware Test's recording capabilities is a big find, I'd almost guarantee that most larger companies aren't going to want to work with undocumented and unsupported APIs that need to fake the palm namespace in order to use it. Maybe we'll be able to get a decent homebrew voice recorder out of that discovery, but I don't see it changing anything at all for Shazam.
    I've requested Shazam several times as well, unless Palm opens up a private API to them it's not going to happen until they open up the phones hardware to developers a bit more.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Hi there

While I can say our development team are continually working on bringing the service to as many platforms and regions as possible, I’m not entirely sure when or if a version for Palm handsets will be available.

Full details of any new release would be made available on our website prior to launch date.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help
    Not very promising...OR helpful!
    Last edited by licotto; 10/19/2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: adjust text
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I've requested Shazam several times as well, unless Palm opens up a private API to them it's not going to happen until they open up the phones hardware to developers a bit more.
    I completely forgot about this. Shazaam can't do a damn thing until Palm opens up the mic API.

QQ
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I added my request as well, I'd love to see Shazam on the Pre. Hopefully if they receive enough requests, once Palm opens things up, they'll work on a port.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    While that find of the Hardware Test's recording capabilities is a big find, I'd almost guarantee that most larger companies aren't going to want to work with undocumented and unsupported APIs that need to fake the palm namespace in order to use it. Maybe we'll be able to get a decent homebrew voice recorder out of that discovery, but I don't see it changing anything at all for Shazam.
    What do you suppose is keeping Palm from implementing a mic API? Clearly there is code that uses the microphone in the phone app. Perhaps this is all very low-level right now and highly specific for the phone app? Or maybe they are working on really packing a lot of functionality into it or something? This just seems like one of those fundamentals that ought to be in there already, and since it wouldn't seem too complicated, it's absence is a little mysterious. But I don't precisely know what I'm talking about either.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    What do you suppose is keeping Palm from implementing a mic API? Clearly there is code that uses the microphone in the phone app. Perhaps this is all very low-level right now and highly specific for the phone app? Or maybe they are working on really packing a lot of functionality into it or something? This just seems like one of those fundamentals that ought to be in there already, and since it wouldn't seem too complicated, it's absence is a little mysterious. But I don't precisely know what I'm talking about either.
    Probably exactly like the download manager API that was locked to Palm in 1.1 and opened up to the public in 1.2: it is probably buggy and/or unfinished, so they want to lock it down to only their app until they have time to do more with it.

I find it hard to believe that they'd lock it down for any other reason than it's barely working for their purpose at this time.

Unfortunately, Palm doesn't have infinite resources to get everything done at once, so they do need to prioritize on things.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    My response was a little bit different than that above. And gives me hope!

Hi there

While I can say our development team are continually working on bringing the service to as many platforms and regions as possible, I’m not entirely sure when a version for Palm handsets will be available. It will happen, but there is currently no date for it to be launched.

Full details of any new release would be made available on our website prior to launch date.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
    I recently found out that there is a competitor to Shazam, called Midomi.

can find their site at midomo.com, and it actually works on your pc, and seems to work pretty well. It lets you hum the tune as well.

And they have a iPhone App, so maybe we should e-mail them as well to get an app for Palm Pre.

The link to the site is:

Search for Music Using Your Voice by Singing or Humming, View Music Videos, Join Fan Clubs, Share with Friends, Be Discovered and Much More For Free! - midomi.com

and you have to e-mail them via support@midomi.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    I recently found out that there is a competitor to Shazam, called Midomi.

can find their site at midomo.com, and it actually works on your pc, and seems to work pretty well. It lets you hum the tune as well.

And they have a iPhone App, so maybe we should e-mail them as well to get an app for Palm Pre.

The link to the site is:

Search for Music Using Your Voice by Singing or Humming, View Music Videos, Join Fan Clubs, Share with Friends, Be Discovered and Much More For Free! - midomi.com

and you have to e-mail them via support@midomi.com
    You need to email Palm, no app like this will exist until the phones hardware is more accessible by the API.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You need to email Palm, no app like this will exist until the phones hardware is more accessible by the API.
    I e-mailed Palm as well, just thought e-mailing Shazam and Midomi, will get the wheels moving more. It couldn't hurt, no?
    I e-mailed Palm as well, just thought e-mailing Shazam and Midomi, will get the wheels moving more. It couldn't hurt, no?
    even if they WANTED to make the app they couldnt because they dont have access to the necessary parts of the sdk. i guess all that emailing them would do is let them know that demand is wanted for their app.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    even if they WANTED to make the app they couldnt because they dont have access to the necessary parts of the sdk. i guess all that emailing them would do is let them know that demand is wanted for their app.

Yeah and that is critical, too show the demand for apps like those.
    Yeah and that is critical, too show the demand for apps like those.
    Which email address did you send it to?? I have nothing to do right now, I'll go ahead and do it haha
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Which email address did you send it to?? I have nothing to do right now, I'll go ahead and do it haha
    support@midomi.com
    is Shazaam still that hot? Only time I ever saw anyone use it was when the iPhone was new and a co-worker was showing it off. Oh...and once at a bar in St. Maarten, but by the time the dude had pulled out his iPhone to get the song name for his friend, someone else had already said the name.

aside from Shazaam, isn't there a service (thought it was 411-song) that does pretty much the same thing? You call the number, let it hear the song, and they text you the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    is Shazaam still that hot? Only time I ever saw anyone use it was when the iPhone was new and a co-worker was showing it off. Oh...and once at a bar in St. Maarten, but by the time the dude had pulled out his iPhone to get the song name for his friend, someone else had already said the name.

aside from Shazaam, isn't there a service (thought it was 411-song) that does pretty much the same thing? You call the number, let it hear the song, and they text you the info.
    I used Shazam and Midomi on my Windows Mobile phone and found them quite useful. (I liked Shazam better than Midomi, for the record -- thought it worked better and was more accurate. Midomi has a better concept, though, just not execution, yet.)

The only person I 'showed it off to' was my wife.

/Kevin
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast