View Poll Results: Do you want a Shazam app for WebOS?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

38 95.00%
  • No.

1 2.50%
  • Don't Need/Won't Use.

1 2.50%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    being new is a little bit of a scapegoat excuse if you ask me. WebOS is already so far ahead of the other mobile OS's that it's hard to understand why their focus seems to be on bug fix updates instead of API development. It can't be that difficult to dev the proper api's needed to create the apps we are missing.

I'd lose all envy of my iPhone and EVO friends if I had those features. Is it just me, or do they just not get it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    WebOS is already so far ahead of the other mobile OS's

You got to be kidding me, if it was so far ahead it would of had the API allowing shazam and soundhound to be installed on webos just like the other OS's that so far behind, lol.
    If you pay attention to this forum for any length of time, you'd see that 'being far ahead' of other OS's is a valid comment. The way WebOS handles multitasking, application management, 3D gaming, and social networking already make other OS devs take notice. Even Steve Job's, underhanded as his comment may have been, complimented Palm on what they accomplished with WebOS. If you don't see this then you are being one-sided and extremely blind to what the term 'advanced' truly means.

Would you also say the iPad is not advanced because it can't use flash or have a front facing camera for wifi calling?

Capabilities determine usability, but how a OS's is designed and functions overall determine the level of advancement it has attained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    being new is a little bit of a scapegoat excuse if you ask me. WebOS is already so far ahead of the other mobile OS's that it's hard to understand why their focus seems to be on bug fix updates instead of API development. It can't be that difficult to dev the proper api's needed to create the apps we are missing.

I'd lose all envy of my iPhone and EVO friends if I had those features. Is it just me, or do they just not get it?
    Palm gets it. It's simply a fact that developing new features takes a lot of time. Palm has announced a rather lovely and long list of features that will be available this fall, and mic is on that list. The reason you see bugfixes more that features is that buxfixes are relatively easy, just updating proven and understood software. New features, especially api features require months of planning organizing and testing.

And just for the record. WebOS is progressing faster than iOS. The later just had a 3 year head start. Can't really say about android though. I stopped caring about that one the first time I used an android phone.
    Is there anything like Shazam available for the Pre? If you aren't familiar with Shazam, it's an app that you can use to figure out the artist and title of a song that's playing anywhere. You just hold the phone up to a speaker and it analyzes the music and figures out who it is and what the title is. It's pretty incredible, but not available for the Pre.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Do a search

J/king.... No not till palm releases microphone APIs
    This was the most fun app I used on previous phones and miss on Pre - deal breaker no - but still can't believe we don't have microphone capability for voice dial, which would operate this also.
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Do a search

J/king.... No not till palm releases microphone APIs
    OK, that sux. I love WebOS and the phone...but the lack of aps is killing me.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    this phone has been out for more than a year, and this is the first request I have seen for this "shazaam" /s
    No I mean the general lack of apps. There are tons of little aps, but none of the big popular aps seem to be available.
    Dave
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    the mic is not accessible yet. WebOS 2.0 is supposed to open this up to developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    No I mean the general lack of apps. There are tons of little aps, but none of the big popular aps seem to be available.
    Keep in mind that webOS is a completely different OS to other smartphones and what might be popular on other platforms could possibly not do so well on webOS.
    I would rather see good native apps come to webOS from committed developers, and there are many good native apps already here. Admittedly lots of large organisations over look webOS when creating apps for their business, this is something that will hopefully be rectified when webOS gets increased market share.

However, being a bit more specific to this thread, I don't see how shazam can be considered as totally popular. It is often ignored by many users on other platforms and those who do install usually discard it after the initial novelty wears off after identifying 1 or 2 songs.

I would be interested to know what you consider to be the popular apps that we are lacking?

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I would be interested to know what you consider to be the popular apps that we are lacking?
    Pip
    I'm going to say he is thinking Shazam for one. Like it or hate it...popular is a very good adjective to describe it.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm going to say he is thinking Shazam for one. Like it or hate it...popular is a very good adjective to describe it.
    I knew that one was coming. Personally I neither hate nor like it, but I do see the mild benefits that some users could have from it. I was getting more at the point that the OP was talking about a broad range of popular apps, I was curious as to the which apps, outside of corporate apps, they viewed as popular.

Pip
    Here's what I think. Some great webOS developer has already built the Shazam app and they have the code stubbed out waiting on the API to become available. That's what I think. Think how popular that developer is going to be when they release the app.

Oh, and I'm not talking about me.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/20/2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    this phone has been out for more than a year, and this is the first request I have seen for this "shazaam" /s
    No, actually Shazam has been requested A LOT over the last year... Sound Hound is another similar (& IMO a better) app. As stated before, WebOS 2.0 will be releasing some MUCH anticipated API's to allow more apps to enter the WebOS arena.

The next few months in our world should start to rock us over. I'm very excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    No, actually Shazam has been requested A LOT over the last year... Sound Hound is another similar (& IMO a better) app. As stated before, WebOS 2.0 will be releasing some MUCH anticipated API's to allow more apps to enter the WebOS arena.

The next few months in our world should start to rock us over. I'm very excited!
    Did you notice the little /s at the end, I believe that it refers to 'end sarcasm'. I think you just got bit hard by sarcasm

I totally agree that the next few months should be exciting though

Pip
    I am also waiting for many "useful" apps, not games, not farts, not a lot of the things in the catalog.
    I love Shazam, I'm 55, don't use it a lot, but enjoy it when I do.

I want voice dial which goes with mike - it is illegal to dial phones when driving, I hate bluetooth, so for legality reasons and we have speakerphones, I do not see why we can't tell the phone instructions - many non-smart phones have this capability.

I want text voicemail since again I cannot dial, whatever, while driving. This would pop up make access and readability so easy - again on many non-smart phones. Yes, I know Google Voice does this, but its a hassle and voice text mail could be native.

More weather apps - useful ones - such as radar that works and is animated. Real tide charts, wind speed app, even constellation identifiers.

Key cap - so useful on old Treo's

I don't know, if I start thinking of what I miss, I might go get the Epic which does all of this with a big screen. I love my Pre, but going on 4th due to hardware issues, and when I think of above question, sometimes wonder why do I stick with outdated hardware. And if you think I'm complaining, look at return/exchange rates, they aren't good, and waiting, and waiting for new phones with all the other improvements.

Without the Homebrew community, I would've been gone, they made this phone wonderful, should be hired by Palm in many cases. However, it is not up to their volunteer time and effort to keep this phone going. That is the sad part.
    Just waiting on the API's for the mic (WebOS 2.0) and this will happen very soon after.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    @moreman

keycap? I'm looking at my old Treos and I don't know what key you are referring to. Are you talking about a shift-lock feature? The pre does that by pressing the shift key twice. Is that what you are looking for? (I switched from Treo to Centro years ago, so I may have forgotten some of the favorite features)

Also, check today's Precentral front page article about the newest webOS 2.0 sighting. It includes screen resolution, and provides another glimpse of what everyone hopes to see within a few months.

keep the faith!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    Key cap - so useful on old Treo's
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    @moreman

keycap? I'm looking at my old Treos and I don't know what key you are referring to. Are you talking about a shift-lock feature? The pre does that by pressing the shift key twice. Is that what you are looking for? (I switched from Treo to Centro years ago, so I may have forgotten some of the favorite features)
    Check out Keyboss.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers