View Poll Results: Do you want a Shazam app for WebOS?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

38 95.00%
  • No.

1 2.50%
  • Don't Need/Won't Use.

1 2.50%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    063 XOBX, you mentioned the mic api...does anyone know if/when that will become available for the Pre?

Thanks, Jacki
    Quote Originally Posted by jackibwriter View Post
    063 XOBX, you mentioned the mic api...does anyone know if/when that will become available for the Pre?

Thanks, Jacki
    It has been announced in a system update sometime around fall.
    what is the underlying service that Shazam uses? Is there a website or "cloud service" where the music is analyzed to figure out the song?

Perhaps we could use the new recorder to record the song and just upload it?
    An app of this nature would typically use a music fingerprinting service. Any service with a good library and API is going to cost several thousand dollars a month to use.

That's why even with the mic API, I don't plan to add this feature to NaNplayer in the near future. It's just too expensive.

This topic has been discussed at length here

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...usic-id-6.html

The forum software is breaking the link, so cut out the extra part when you try to view it. vBulletin(forum software) can be a real piece of junk sometimes.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Another huge hurdle would be the cost of a music fingerprinting service. These are services that have huge libraries of song "fingerprints" that are used to match the song you're looking for. These services cost thousands of dollars a month to use. I'd have to find a way to make that pay for itself and that isn't easy.

Blubble, cheers for dropping past this thread ... we appreciate it!

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but I stumbled across a "free" online music database / fingerprinting service (vbAccelerator - CD Track Listing Using freedb.org or freedb.org > Home).

Not sure how up to date this database is and what the API for this thing is like, but it's worth a look ... especially considering the "free" part! Imagine if you do integrate this into NanPlayer ... it'd be even more compelling reason to buy your software

They also have a list of software that currently use freedb in track identification ... this'll definitely help you to gauge how well the service works ... freedb.org > Applications > Freedb aware applications

Hope it helps, and hope it means we're one step closer to a shazam type app!
    Thanks dr3wster, I'll look into it when I get a chance.
    The 'hilarious" part of this is...Shazam is nothing more than a gimmick. If it wasn't for Jobsey's RDF and all the sheeple continuing to buy iPhones, Shazam would have ceased to sell and closed up shop.

My company has over a 1000 employees in the HQ with the following breakdown (est based on telecom dept)

55% Blackberry (550 ppl)
    25% iPhone (250 ppl)
    10% Android (100 ppl)
    7% other (Nokia, Moto, etc.) (70 ppl)
    3% Palm (Treo & Pre) (30 ppl)

And I know about a 1/3 of the people personally, and deal with another 1/3 or so professionally. We talk phones. I said all that to say I have a good read on who has what phone and how they use them. I ask the "hard questions"..

Iphone users -
    Q: "How often do you use Shazam?"
    A: "Once in a while. I used it more when it came out\right after I got my phone"

Q: "How often do use "Bump"?
    A: "I used it with a couple of people, but not that much"

Android users -
    Q: "How many times have you used "Goggles"?"
    A: "I've used it a couple times, mostly to show people. Not really that much"

Of course I'm summarizing all those conversations, but you get the drift. The main point? These apps are "gimmicks" that will be used at first and maybe at a party now and then, nothing more. All you people screaming "I'm leaving if we don't get Shazam!". It's NOT a killer app, just a gimmick not much more.
    I don't use it often, but it's nice to have when you do need it. There have been a few times recently when I've asked the wife to whip out her Android phone so I could use Shazam.

I see it as an infrequently used, but nonetheless very helpful app. I hardly consider that a gimmick.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    These apps are "gimmicks" that will be used at first and maybe at a party now and then, nothing more. All you people screaming "I'm leaving if we don't get Shazam!". It's NOT a killer app, just a gimmick not much more.

I hear what you're saying loud and clear.. and to a certain extent agree.. Yes, such apps are very limited in terms of functionality, and are most certainly not "killer".. what they are though, are apps that take your phone from being purely a PIMs-based appliance to what can only be described as an electronic swiss army knife! Sure you might not use the app often, but as Blubble says, it's definitely nice to have it..

Unfortunately, most consumers out there, measure smartphone platforms by the types of apps that are available, rather than the features of the OS itself. When you browse through the iphone app store, you will realise just how many of the apps could be classified as "gimmicks".. But, do you think the iPhone would be nearly as successful if it didn't have all these apps?

Palm needs a stack more apps to be added to the catalog (whether they provide one function or multiple) .. to entice more users to consider purchasing a Palm phone ... then, they will truly realise just how limited the other Smartphone OSes are in comparison to the webOS..

(... no, I'm not biased... I own both an iPhone 3GS AND a Palm Pre!! ..)
    cobrakon does speak some truth. Some of the features such as Goggles and Bump are impractical in real life. Shazam isn't a killer app as stated before, but I have to disagree that it's a gimmick. There have been various times while listening to the radio that I needed to identify the song. Now it wasn't a killer because I could just remember a line of lyrics and google it.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I know nothing about developing apps for any phone OS, let alone webOS. But why is it that there is STILL no app (that I can find anyway) that works like the Shazam app for the iphone and droid phones?

I keep reading something about there not being a "microphone API" (or something like that) for webOS. I don't understand any of that, so it may be more difficult than I realize. I just don't get how those other OS's (which so many webOS fans feel are so inferior to webOS) had no problem getting that feature but nobody developing for webOS has figured it out. Help me understand this developers!

In general, I love my Pre and the way webOS works. But who can deny that the iphone and droid phones can do so much more than webOS, especially the Android OS?

Regardless, I know all of you hardworking developers are doing great things for webOS - keep up the good work!
    I'm no developer but I think it's because Palm has not released the API for the microphone as of yet. Same thing as Qik because there is no API for the camera. I may be wrong but that's what I gathered from reading the forums on precentral.net
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    so if comiken205 is correct, it's an issue with Palm not releasing something necessary for developers to create something like Shazam? If that's true, what's the deal there? Why the heck wouldn't Palm release something like that so that a wide variety of apps could be created to utilize a microphone feature?
    You can record audio using zCorder... but like weve been saying all along... there is no API for recording sound... which means that there isnt any way to interact with the capture. Palm has it locked out for the moment... you already had all this information though... and there is a ton of discussion about it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by scosch View Post
    so if comiken205 is correct, it's an issue with Palm not releasing something necessary for developers to create something like Shazam? If that's true, what's the deal there? Why the heck wouldn't Palm release something like that so that a wide variety of apps could be created to utilize a microphone feature?
    ? This is a new OS... they havent built that feature into it yet... its that simple. Thats what an API is for...
    being new is a little bit of a scapegoat excuse if you ask me. WebOS is already so far ahead of the other mobile OS's that it's hard to understand why their focus seems to be on bug fix updates instead of API development. It can't be that difficult to dev the proper api's needed to create the apps we are missing.

I'd lose all envy of my iPhone and EVO friends if I had those features. Is it just me, or do they just not get it?
    Another interesting angle is the fact that Shazam claim to own a patent on the method for identifying songs in that way. So it would be quite hard for third party developers to make a "Shazam-like" app, even with access to a Mic API, as they wouldn't want to be the target of a lawsuit. You'd probably have to wait for an official Shazam app, and who knows if they'd even be interested.
    Last edited by joshsharp; 07/18/2010 at 03:45 AM.
    My apps:
    ReWeather - Attractive weather app that reflects current conditions
    Suburbly UK (trial version) - Search for properties to rent, share or buy all over UK.

Twitter: @joshsharp / @recursivemedia
    WebOS is already so far ahead of the other mobile OS's

You got to be kidding me, if it was so far ahead it would of had the API allowing shazam and soundhound to be installed on webos just like the other OS's that so far behind, lol.
    Not solely defending here, but put please put it into persepective:

The core WebOS development team is way smaller, that those developing iOS@Apple & Android@google. Could you criticize the way they prioritized certain features while neglecting others? Yes. However the components WebOS supports, it rocks. I believe with HP the number of developers increased/will increase, however they will be working on 2.0 features. I do not outrule the probability that WebOS 2.0 will be adequate to its competitors once it's released.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    patience grasshopper, snatching the pebble takes time, you are not ready yet. In all seriousness I would rather them take it slow and continue with the solidity of webos than just throw stuff out (clearing throat now "android") that is clunky, buggy and full of hype.