View Poll Results: Do you want a Shazam app for WebOS?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

38 95.00%
  • No.

1 2.50%
  • Don't Need/Won't Use.

1 2.50%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I emailed shazam last week heres
    the reply:"While I can say our development team are continually working on bringing the service to as many platforms and regions as possible, Iím not entirely sure when or if a version for Palm handsets will be available."
    sucks don't it!!! We have 3d gaming and we can't have the simplest frickin shazam app! Pathetic......
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiijedi View Post
    I emailed shazam last week heres
    the reply:"While I can say our development team are continually working on bringing the service to as many platforms and regions as possible, Iím not entirely sure when or if a version for Palm handsets will be available."
    sucks don't it!!! We have 3d gaming and we can't have the simplest frickin shazam app! Pathetic......
    Why is it pathetic ? you could always get an android or iphone. if shazam means that much to you.
    It does mean a lot to me, and it is not an IPhone product, they are just so smart to advertise it and drive biz to music capable phones.

I had years ago on Windows phones, one of my fave apps.

I wouldn't change phones for it, but a lot more fun and useful than farts, silly games, etc., especially when you are selling smart phones that are multi functional.

Also need voice dialing with current legislation pushing hands free, I hate having bluetooth on, remembering to charge, going dead, noisy connections, etc. Need mic working for both reasons.
    it is pathetic... It should be a simple feature... A mic API.

Not just shazam... Skype, google search with voice, a simple voice record app or dictation like dragon dictation... A whole segment of apps and people will pass this phone by for it.

A nintendo ds has programs that use a mic and a smartphone doesn't? That's not pathetic?

People talk about snapdragon CPU and all the other goodies for next gen palm... I just hope next gen they can give ya a mic API.

Btw, shazam rocks

Quote Originally Posted by allybasilic View Post
    Why is it pathetic ? you could always get an android or iphone. if shazam means that much to you.
    Right on donm527 and nmoreman!! I am so glad you guys agree with me. It is pathetic that old blackberrys and phones from 2003 had shazam....It is one of the most widely used apps for all the smart phone platforms and should have been available along with flixter and fandago from the get go!!!
    I miss Shazaam...
    Quote Originally Posted by lordielordie View Post
    I miss Shazaam...
    Yeah, so do I

The red suit, the cool RV, and weren't those crossovers with 'Isis' sweet?!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Another vote for the Shazam app.

Since the vendor says there are no plans, are there any other alternative vendors in the Android/iPhone marketplaces that might be contacted ...?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwinger View Post
    Another vote for the Shazam app.

Since the vendor says there are no plans, are there any other alternative vendors in the Android/iPhone marketplaces that might be contacted ...?
    They currently have no plans because it's currently not possible. Palm does not let developers use the microphone for apps. Simple as that.
    With Zcorder in the midst, does that mean shazam will be coming to webos?
    Shazam will wait for the official microphone API from Palm which should/had better be here by the fall.

Basing their work on zcorder would almost certainly bar Shazam from Palm's App Cat, as zcorder is the kind of Homebrew that willfully breaks all the rules in order to get things done.
    I just sent an e-mail to Shazam support an this is what I got back:

Hi there

While I can say our development team are continually working on bringing the service to as many platforms and regions as possible, there are currently no plans to release the app for Palm handsets.

Full details of any new release would be made available on our website prior to launch date.
    I sent a request to them and got this back:

Hi there

While I can say our development team are continually working on bringing the service to as many platforms and regions as possible, there are currently no plans to release the app for Palm handsets.

Full details of any new release would be made available on our website prior to launch date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    This situation is very simple.

The is no Shazaam app for webOS because it is not a priority for them.

Shazaam is a big enough draw that I could almost guarantee Palm would offer them 'Private API access', which is basically a joke, because they wouldn't need anything special, just a small gstreamer application that records audio clips.

I can write an application like this in about an hour.

In fact, I could write an entire shazaam application in a few hours (with proper documentation on how their servers work), but it would be rejected upon submission for the PDK/App Catalog. As of right now, applications which access gstreamer are not being accepted. I'm sure this will change in the future (probably about the same time we get a mic api)

My advice is, wait till July 1st. If everything is still the same way it is, start compliaining. Otherwise, I think you'll start seeing these things trickle down the pipe.
    whats the thought on writing it as a homebrew app?
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    If i remember correctly, the homebrew developer of NaNa Player was actually looking at this at one stage.. BUT, he also said that he needed access to the Mic API as well (similar to what Shazam need)..

I suggest you PM him/her (Blubble) and see if they are still interested in writing the app..
    I would love to add this functionality into my app, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. As you mentioned, the lack of mic access is the biggest technical hurdle.

Another huge hurdle would be the cost of a music fingerprinting service. These are services that have huge libraries of song "fingerprints" that are used to match the song you're looking for. These services cost thousands of dollars a month to use. I'd have to find a way to make that pay for itself and that isn't easy.

I'm sure Shazam has a lot of investment capital that allows them to pay for these services. I don't. If NaNplayer sells well on WebOS and Android, I will reconsider the possibility of adding this feature.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I would love to add this functionality into my app, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. As you mentioned, the lack of mic access is the biggest technical hurdle.

Another huge hurdle would be the cost of a music fingerprinting service. These are services that have huge libraries of song "fingerprints" that are used to match the song you're looking for. These services cost thousands of dollars a month to use. I'd have to find a way to make that pay for itself and that isn't easy.

I'm sure Shazam has a lot of investment capital that allows them to pay for these services. I don't. If NaNplayer sells well on WebOS and Android, I will reconsider the possibility of adding this feature.
    I believe Palm just announced that they will release microphone API's. I saw a post on precentral a few days ago.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Yes. They did announce them. I am trying to find out when that and the media indexing API are going to come out. They announced "by fall".
    After hearing about the new dev tools being released for WebOS, what do you guys think about the possibility for a Shazam or other such music discovery app being made available? I'm thinking about getting an AT&T Pre Plus but the lack of a Music ID app is such a downer!

Any devs on here have an interest in developing something like this when the mic API becomes available? It's such a handy app for a music person like myself and im sure many others.
    When the mic api becomes available it will be done until then nothing