View Poll Results: Do you want a Shazam app for WebOS?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

38 95.00%
  • No.

1 2.50%
  • Don't Need/Won't Use.

1 2.50%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ne progress on this? NO ONE can make a music ID app for our awesome devices?!
    Unfortunately it appears that there is no mic access for the PDK yet either, which is a little shocking to me.

I'm a little surprised that it wasn't in 1.4, but I'll be really surprised if it's not in the next update (assuming that the next update isn't a small bugfix one).
    Here's the deal with a Shazam type app. I would love to add this feature to my app, but can't for now for two primary reasons.

First, there is no way to capture audio using the mic on the phone. I was hoping the new PDK might allow this, but it doesn't. Without that, you're stuck. Someone might come up with a homebrew service, but I haven't heard of one. Anyways, using something like that would pretty much keep an app out of the catalog for good. We are constantly bugging Palm to add the Mic API and they said they will eventually.

Second, music fingerprinting requires a huge database of music with a good server infrastructure to receive and process fingerprinting requests. The good commercial services cost a lot of money. We're talking several thousands of dollars a month on the low end. There are some efforts to create open source services, but I haven't seen any that are worth bothering with.

Consequently, don't expect to see this feature in the near future. Once a microphone API is available, I will look into a little more, but no dice for now.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Bump!

:d
    I'm definitely going to stay tuned to this. I am very eclectic when it comes to music, so when I come across something I dont know... I must know.

Subscribed!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I'm actually starting to get a bit concerned about the lack of innovative apps that are appearing on the horizon for the WebOS. It seems that almost every second person i've come across is wanting to get /in the process of buying an iPhone because of the "cool apps".

Anyways, I too would love to see an app like this make it to the Palm Pre! I love my Pre!

Here's an idea for you. Even though there may not be official access to the mic API, there has got to be some sort of sound recording access ... Take the program gDialPro.. That was a google voice client. Surely, the mic would've been used to allow for the user's voice to be heard on the other end ... can't we use this same method and insert code to capture the sound rather than to a straight transmission?
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    I'm actually starting to get a bit concerned about the lack of innovative apps that are appearing on the horizon for the WebOS. It seems that almost every second person i've come across is wanting to get /in the process of buying an iPhone because of the "cool apps".

Anyways, I too would love to see an app like this make it to the Palm Pre! I love my Pre!

Here's an idea for you. Even though there may not be official access to the mic API, there has got to be some sort of sound recording access ... Take the program gDialPro.. That was a google voice client. Surely, the mic would've been used to allow for the user's voice to be heard on the other end ... can't we use this same method and insert code to capture the sound rather than to a straight transmission?
    It would be much easier to just wait for the api to be released. It should be out by july first...
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    It would be much easier to just wait for the api to be released. It should be out by july first...
    Any proof here? I am ready for an upgrade around that time and if there is not some actual applications like this and the barcode reader/price tool then I will make the switch to android. I love WebOS, the form factor, and the camera on my pre but they really have not made enough progress over the last year.
    Classic now has a Voice Memo application. Not sure if it works because they are interacting with the hardware on a low-level, below the developer API's, or if they found another way, or if the API is exposed.

Can anyone enlighten us?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough02 View Post
    Any proof here? I am ready for an upgrade around that time and if there is not some actual applications like this and the barcode reader/price tool then I will make the switch to android. I love WebOS, the form factor, and the camera on my pre but they really have not made enough progress over the last year.
    +1!
    I sent my e-mail in. Hopefully another response will encourage them for this. Keep on sending those emails. Bombard them until they bombard Palm to release a MIC api. What the heck is Palm Waiting for anyway??????? Not releasing things like this will only make development and popularity for the pre, less.
    Question on capturing audio through the mic....

How does the video recording capture the sound?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Following on from ka1's comment... I've tested the VoiceMemo App in Classic and it records reasonably well... not the best, but it's passable.

Seeing that the WebOS Mic API has still not been released and there's no clear sign of it being available, would it be possible for someone to create a PALM OS-based MusicID program?

I know Shazam made a program for AT&T's Centro which as you all know, is based on Palm OS. I managed to find a copy of this program, but cannot get it to work.. have heard it is programmed specifically for the Centro.

But this is proof that it IS possible to make a MusicID program in Palm OS... Any takers? I'd imagine a lot of Pre-owners would be willing to pay a couple of bucks for it.. Who cares if it doesn't look as flashy as WebOS apps ... in light of no indidication of an upcoming MIC API release, we just want the app!!!

The question now really is ... can you establish a network connection via Classic??
    sent my request just now
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    Following on from ka1's comment... I've tested the VoiceMemo App in Classic and it records reasonably well... not the best, but it's passable.

Seeing that the WebOS Mic API has still not been released and there's no clear sign of it being available, would it be possible for someone to create a PALM OS-based MusicID program?

I know Shazam made a program for AT&T's Centro which as you all know, is based on Palm OS. I managed to find a copy of this program, but cannot get it to work.. have heard it is programmed specifically for the Centro.

But this is proof that it IS possible to make a MusicID program in Palm OS... Any takers? I'd imagine a lot of Pre-owners would be willing to pay a couple of bucks for it.. Who cares if it doesn't look as flashy as WebOS apps ... in light of no indidication of an upcoming MIC API release, we just want the app!!!

The question now really is ... can you establish a network connection via Classic??
    The problem is that only the MotionApps voice recorder gets access to the mic for some reason. Other well known Garnet recorders such as CallRec didn't seem to work when I tried.

I did attempt a hacked version of that MusicID program you mention, that I know for a fact worked on my Treo 755p on Sprint, but it couldn't seem to get access to the mic, just like CallRec.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The problem is that only the MotionApps voice recorder gets access to the mic for some reason. Other well known Garnet recorders such as CallRec didn't seem to work when I tried.

I did attempt a hacked version of that MusicID program you mention, that I know for a fact worked on my Treo 755p on Sprint, but it couldn't seem to get access to the mic, just like CallRec.

Thanks for testing that jhoff80 .. That's not good, I guess i jumped the gun.. I wonder why that is? Maybe motionApps developed a special driver to access the mic device directly? Hmmm.. I know that MotionApps frequents these forums regularly, so maybe they could shed some light on this?

It might be a case of a Palm OS developer trying to come to some agreement with MotionApps to access their driver? I'm sure MotionApps would welcome more people developing for Palm OS because more people would then buy the Classic App! I love that app ... and here I was thinking that all many paid apps from my Palm T|X would be relegated to no-mans-land

Anyways, I digress... Any Palm OS developers interested?
    This situation is very simple.

The is no Shazaam app for webOS because it is not a priority for them.

Shazaam is a big enough draw that I could almost guarantee Palm would offer them 'Private API access', which is basically a joke, because they wouldn't need anything special, just a small gstreamer application that records audio clips.

I can write an application like this in about an hour.

In fact, I could write an entire shazaam application in a few hours (with proper documentation on how their servers work), but it would be rejected upon submission for the PDK/App Catalog. As of right now, applications which access gstreamer are not being accepted. I'm sure this will change in the future (probably about the same time we get a mic api)

My advice is, wait till July 1st. If everything is still the same way it is, start compliaining. Otherwise, I think you'll start seeing these things trickle down the pipe.
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
    This is the only feature I miss from my Samsung Alias...
    yea. Please! Shazaam already.... pay them, give them 100% profit, do what you have to do. We want it!

unfortunately, you (palm) need to do or announce something b4 June 6/ Evo realse because so many WebOS users are.... well, everyone already knows the story
    I e-mailed them asking if they had plans for a future release on webOS. Hopefully I'll get a response back which.. Will be positive..!