Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Well, after publishing a review, I noticed that Sudoku was updated, so I get to redo my review, lucky for the publishers.

Well, my initial review was very far from flattering. It was riddled with bugs and UI issues and was barely playable. Today an update was released, and they have resolved a majority of the issues that plagued it.

The performance issues plaguing it seem to be resolved. In the past playing the game made many features on the phone unresponsive and made it difficult to open other programs, but that is an issue of the past now. I was unable to find any issues with performance in this version.

User interface has been GREATLY improved. Not really by adding any features, but rather by making it WORK! There are now no issues at all with selecting the square you want and editing or solving it. Apparently they had to remove the zoom mode to do this, so you are now stuck with tiny numbers that can be difficult to see with any visual difficulties (like middle age), but it's tolerable. The overall speed of the gameplay has picked up since there isn't any waiting for the clunky interface. Although a zoom feature would be nice to put back in when they can fix it (preferably with the standard zoom gestures), the game is much more playable without it than it was in the last version with it.

They have also solved the other issue I had. You can no longer put a value into a square that conflicts with the rules of Sudoku. Rather than spending an hour solving a puzzle to find you put something in wrong and have to start over from scratch, the game now warns you when you have something wrong.

They added difficulty levels as well. There is easy, medium, and difficult levels you can play. This makes it easier for the newer people to Sudoku and is a much needed feature. They also dropped a majority of the keyboard shortcuts and cut it down to just "I, J, K, L", to control, which is a bit nicer since it's somewhat intuitive (like W,A,S,D).

I guess that currently my only complaint is that the game does lag on occasion when playing. Although it's been polished dramatically, it still needs some final tuning to really make it as smooth and sleek as Sudoku on the Nintendo DS Brain Age (my favorite version of Sudoku yet) Cakewalk has finally polished theirs up to where it will remain a used part of my software library, unlike the previous version. Right now it is more Sudoku itself that has me hooked more than this version of Sudoku, if Cakewalk continues to fix this up and update as they have been, they could change my mind.

<update>

Cakewalk responded to my email about their update, and it looks like they want to keep improving it. Here is what they sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakefight
    Thanks for reaching out to us.

The update that's going out today is meant to be purely performance and user experience enhancements that our most passionate users have written to us about.

The big things that we've improved:
    Performance! A lot of users saw issues with alerts not coming through while playing Sudoku. That's all fixed now after we removed some fancy but totally unnecessary animation code.
    Zooming begone! Continuing in our trend of optimization, we've removed the need to zoom in to select a square. We hope you'll find the new touch interface cleaner and faster. We now highlight the row and column (think crosshairs) while you press or drag your finger so you can pinpoint which square you want.
    Tapping on squares are a lot more responsive. This was a bug where squares were not highlighting properly. With the new selection mechanism, this should feel a lot more responsive.
    Save games should work better. We also suspect the cpu usage issues impacted people's save games so we hope to see fewer reports of save game issues after this new update.
    Sudoku is now lighter than ever!

I hope this addresses some of the issues that you've seen and if you have more feedback, please send it on to us. We're aiming to do another update with some new features based on suggestions from people who have written in.

Also if you or your readers have other questions, we would love to answer them.

Thanks,
    Jian

Team Cakefight
    I was impressed that not only did they respond quickly, but they are updating their software, listening to their users, and making improvements based on user feedback. Good job Cakefight. Maybe this Sudoku got rushed out a bit, but you're on the right track and I see good things coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zyxwv88; 06/29/2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: - New version of Sudoku changed everything about review.
    Sorry to tell you, but this is now completely out of date with the Sudoku update today. Do over.
    +1 Wow... yea this is a completely different game!!!! YAY!!!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Yup, I noticed that after I publshed it. They cut out all the buggy stuff apparently. :P <sigh> Back to editing.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    The difficulty levels have been there since day 1.

I haven't tried the updated version yet but it sounds improved overall. Thanks for the review.
    - Fushigi
    didnt they always have the difficulty levels?

and what do the kb shortcuts (I, J, K, L) do?

ha ha, took too long to reply.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I'll have to try it again today.

The original version was basically unplayable for me. I really hope they fixed all the issues (or at least some of the major ones).
  8. aks
    I'll have to try it today. I cannot use this app until later in the night when I'm not expecting calls since 99% of the times I don't even get calls when I'm playing this game on the Pre. I have to literally close the game/app and then see the notifications and missed calls/voicemails come through.
    I hope Cakefight has addressed all of these issues.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    The keyboard shortcuts are for navigating up, down, right, left. (the reference to WASD is how most first person shooters control movement when you play).

As I posted in my review, performance is significantly improved and it is playable. Funny thing is that I was about to delete it when I noticed there was an update. I gave it a try, and they fixed enough on it that I'm keeping it after all.
    ZYX is already a Hall of Fame caliber Poster!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm glad people enjoy my posts. I'm even more glad that I got at least one published for $10 worth of accessories. Hopefully more get published so I earn more. I need a couple more Touchstones.
    what did todays update bring?
    Felipe
    Isn't the difference in difficulty for sudoku suppose to be the # of squares? Or the # number of numbers filled in?

It seems as if there's no difference between Easy and Difficult.

Nevermind, let me amend that a bit. Sometimes there is no difference. Sometimes you're getting boards that only have 26 squares filled in on easy and sometimes you get boards that have like 35 squares filled in.

On difficult I've seen up to 29 squares filled in, which would make that difficult setting easier than the last easy board I finished. 26 squares on easy, 29 squares on difficult.

I mean it's random, but I think maybe they need to check the setting for minimum amount of squares filled in per difficulty.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Difficulty is supposed to be the number of squares filled in at the start for the most part
    The difficulty setting is based on what types of techniques are required to solve the puzzle, not on the amount of boxes filled in.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have problems selecting what box I want and then hitting the number to go in there. I think it needs to be a little better as far as the zoom goes, but Im not really sure how that can be achieved.
    I wish they had a timer... I'm really into competitive Sudoku =)
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post
    I have problems selecting what box I want and then hitting the number to go in there. I think it needs to be a little better as far as the zoom goes, but Im not really sure how that can be achieved.

you have an old version i think.
    Felipe
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I'm very happy they updated this app and made it work...it's the only game I actually play on my pre...

I do have one "wish" for this app, and its that if you use a number to fill in a square, I would like to double tap (or something) another square to fill in with that same number. To me, this would make game play smoother and quicker...which combined croathlete's suggestion of a timer, it would make it to where beating the game under a certain time frame even more of a "challenge".
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubbx View Post
    I'm very happy they updated this app and made it work...it's the only game I actually play on my pre...
    What other games are there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast