Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I think Universal Search has a lot of potential. Hopefully, they will allow other applications to plug in and provide more options. For example, I'm sure a lot of people would love to see email be an option. Then, calendar would be an obvious choice.

If that is the case, then they should add a preferences dialog to turn on/off Universal Search options. For instance, I will never search Twitter, so I should be able to disable that. But I would love to have a dictionary option. If a developer provided a dictionary app, then it would be a no-brainer to add the dictionary to universal search.

First of all, do you all agree that Universal Search should allow us to customize via a preferences dialog?

Also, what other Universal Search plug-ins would you like to see?

I suggest:
    email
    calendar
    Evernote
    dictionary
    Obviously they should let you customize it but for now, you can add any provider you want. The instructions are here: pre dev wiki: Global Search Addons Collection
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    There's no way I'm going to root my Pre. Not in a million years.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Pardon my ignorance... What does it mean to "root" your Pre?
    ^ It allows one greater access to the Pre's core functionality, and provides more options for customizing and modifying the OS.

As for the Universal Search, I think it would be a great idea to include a "quick memo" function. Just start typing, and when you're done, you'd have the option to select "save as memo." Then it would show up in the post-its.
    It's needed the Universal Search to work like it used to do in PalmOS.
    Quick work-around for searching the calendar: put a Google Calendar link in your launcher. Then you can search the calendar online (assuming you're actually syncing your calendar app with Google Calendar, of course).

This is obviously nowhere near as convenient as being able to search the actual calendar app would be, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully, they'll improve global search to include the calendar app soon. It's frankly more than a bit silly that it doesn't already.
    When I type an address in and click "Google Search" the numbers in the address convert to letters. I am only able to type in the street name and the zip code. Anyone else have this problem?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Try holding down the orange key when you type the street number.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Searching all words of your contact's fileds'
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Try holding down the orange key when you type the street number.
    That did the trick. BUT when I type the street number, street name and the zip code it keeps coming up with a street by that name in Pittsburgh (my home town) - not in the city of the zip code.

Maybe I need to type in the city name - not just the zip code. Guess I need to try that.
    Last edited by PghPatti; 07/26/2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: that did the trick - typing in the city and state
    It worked fine after I typed in the city and state. That's pretty cool.
    "Universal" search is less universal than the search in a 15 year old Palm III, and way less functional that the search in my Treo 755. Very, very disappointing.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

Email palm and request universal search to be expanded.....email
    calendar, notes are the extra's that I need!
    Everyone who has/will post on this thread should submit a request to Palm... This is how we can "Make a Difference!!" for Added features to Universal Search Especially the Calendar
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Anyone ever come up with a universal search addition for evernote.
    Followed: webos-internals.org Patch_Browser_Global_Search_Addons Browser Global Search Addons
    successfully, but
    I can't seem to find a url for evernote that executes a query.

I've tried:
    www_evernote_com/ mobile/ Home.action?page= &paginatedQuery. queryDefinition=SEARCH:<query>

and

www_evernote_com/mobile/ Home.action?noRedirect=true &paginatedQuery.event=SEARCH&search=Search&search=Search&paginatedQuery.attribute=<query>

(where <query> is left blank for the pre to fill in w/ text.)

Both urls search fine in a browser, but on the pre, the entry appears correctly in universal search, but the browser seems to redirect to the evernote home page, without executing the search.

Did anyone have any luck w/ this or find an appropriate url from evernote mobile to use?

thanks

[sorry i can't post url links, so they have spaces, underscores in them]

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I think Universal Search has a lot of potential. Hopefully, they will allow other applications to plug in and provide more options. For example, I'm sure a lot of people would love to see email be an option. Then, calendar would be an obvious choice.

If that is the case, then they should add a preferences dialog to turn on/off Universal Search options. For instance, I will never search Twitter, so I should be able to disable that. But I would love to have a dictionary option. If a developer provided a dictionary app, then it would be a no-brainer to add the dictionary to universal search.

First of all, do you all agree that Universal Search should allow us to customize via a preferences dialog?

Also, what other Universal Search plug-ins would you like to see?

I suggest:
    email
    calendar
    Evernote
    dictionary
    Quote Originally Posted by weathermaps View Post
    Anyone ever come up with a universal search addition for evernote.
    Hey dave,

it might have to do with the fact that evernote needs you to be signed in before you make a search?

All the other ones I've worked with, and gotten to work, always have a search bar on the homepage regardless of you signing in or not.

When I tried entering your link into my browser, it just took me into a login page (I do not have an evernote account), but I'm assuming if you log in once it saves it in a cookie? Maybe it doesn't, which is why it's giving you problems on the Pre?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey dave,

it might have to do with the fact that evernote needs you to be signed in before you make a search?

All the other ones I've worked with, and gotten to work, always have a search bar on the homepage regardless of you signing in or not.

When I tried entering your link into my browser, it just took me into a login page (I do not have an evernote account), but I'm assuming if you log in once it saves it in a cookie? Maybe it doesn't, which is why it's giving you problems on the Pre?
    Thanks for the reply.
    I had already logged in to evernote, and it seems to set cookies, since all subsequent page views don't require login, and take me to my evernote data. You're right, however, for this addition to work correctly, you need to be signed in to evernote first.

Some of the search forms on evernote are GET and others are POST. For the GET ones, the urls work fine in FF/Chrome... but on the pre search additions, evernote seems to disregard the search parameter, and redirects you to the main note list. I tried using a 'palm pre' user agent on FF, and it still searched correctly.

Is there an easy way to add more sophisticated functions to the search additions, like calling a function, or launching the browser and submitting a form POST.

I'm not sure if this is worth the trouble at this point, though if you do use evernote, having it as a universal search addition would be very useful.