Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    After leaving the hospital at 8 AM on the 6th to go buy a pre to continue my 8 years of palm phones, my pre-excitement has been in slow constant decline. Battery life and signal strength are my main complaints (probably not specific to hospital use). Our hospital has a contract with AT&T, with towers on the hospital roof, but the pre has not fared well. Generally, my battery dies on the commute home, around 5 or 6. On days I work past 6pm (fairly regularly), the phone has yet to last without a charge. Mind you, I use my pre only for personal use (email, occasional text, generally no personal calls). For work related calls, the hospital provides an AT&T nokia, which works like a free phone, but has the most impressive battery life of any electronic device I've ever used.

Settings I have tried:
    Sprint only, no roam data (Poooor performance)
    +roam and roam data (probably the biggest benefit in both battery + usability)
    Email "as it arrives" and hourly intervals (largely no difference)
    GPS ON / OFF (not really noticing a diff)
    Wifi ON / OFF (pre browser incompatible with hospital router guest login)
    Notifications ON / OFF
    Using airplane mode in clearly poor signal areas
    Closing cards
    Deleting messaging accounts (made a diff turning off gchat, no diff after deleting)
    Deleting calendar sync
    "topping off" battery while charging
    updating firmware (seemed to worsen)

My overall impressions
    -I'm disappointed.
    -The treo fared much better as a physician's phone.
    -No native epocrates in my pocket decreases my productivity
    -I'm unable to figure out why wifi fails to display the wifi guest login page
    -Battery life is definitely a deal breaker....
    -There is no way the pre would work as my primary work phone.

I make over 50 calls throughout the day, have received over 150 messages from nurses and staff, and would not have time to charge the phone for any reasonable amount of time. Compounded with the fact that shifts can be as long as 30 hrs of regular use, the phone would barely limp out of the first 6-8 hours.

I work throughout the hospital and am not based in an office, and my pre really only serves as a text messaging / email device whenever I walk back into a coverage area. I had been looking forward to using Pandora, etc, but I have been forced to avoid apps like this with the hope that I can read the web on my bus ride home or check this website for a fix!

I haven't seen any similar threads, there are numerous battery complaint threads, and I've seen medical and epocrates threads, but I've yet to see a thread about real-life performance of this phone in a hospital, and I'm eager to hear other's experiences.

Hopefully others have had better luck in a hospital, or have additional advice!

FWIW, our hospital is located in a populated urban center (W. Philadelphia) where I've found sprint service (esp with my treo) to be generally good.
    Last edited by pennpre; 06/27/2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added point
    Thanks for the post....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Can't you charge your phone at work? Get a touchstone and just set it down on your desk.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I live in philly and my pre has a consistent 5 bars, and in turn my phone has good batt
    When i'm in NJ with bad service my phone battery doesnt last 5 hours.
    Bad reception = bad battery life. It isn't the phone.
    You can also try the roam only hack. That works well for me. I am on a fringe area of sprint at the office.
    yeah, it doesn't sound like the phone is for you unfortunately =( You can wait for the 3000mah battery coming out though, but it will of course kill the styling/size of the device.
    It all depend on the Hospital and location. My wife has no problems 5a to 7p and still will have at least 40% or more of battery life remaining.

She has BT & Wifi off

Our only gripe is that the lack of medical app support. (most companies are pushing the Classic support which we both dislike.) Merckmedicus (mobile version) seems to be the best bet at least for us for now. Contact them for a login/password if you do not have one

Hopefully we will have more support in the future (I am confident we will)
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    a lot of phones work poorly in hospitals. If you are getting a poor signal, that is causing your battery issues. Your best bet is to probably wait till ATT gets a Palm OS device and try it (because of the tower). But I doubt it will get as good of battery life as the Nokia Candybar you are using (those things are very basic), and their battery life reflects that.
    You can't really compare the two. It's like comparing a BMW that gets 20 mpg, and a Civic that gets 35 mpg.
    I'm sure you know that the reason AT&T built a tower there is because someone HAD to in order for the hopital staff to have reliable communication, even if sprint has been ok. go with AT&T! Do they give you a discount on them at least? Probably 20%, right? Not to mention, docs and nurses need pretty tried and true phones for their work, Pre just wouldn't make sense this early on in the game.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree, comparing the nokia battery life is impossible, but it really was remarkable to use a phone I can charge once, maybe twice a week after HEAVY usage!

What I was more wondering was that there seem to be these 2 camps of people, 1 who complain about battery life despite any settings or signal strength, and another who seem like the battery life is fine if not impressive regardless of settings. Perhaps some of the latter people work in hospitals and are still having luck? I have my doubts...

As well, maybe somebody else has figured out a strategy to maximize batt life in a place where signal strength varies greatly by location, and your job entails being in various locales throughout the day, even the hour.

As well, I really have no intention of using this to handle hospital business.

That being said, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to be able to keep the phone with me, receive a few texts and about 10 emails, and walk out with > 10-20% battery life after a normal 8-10 hr day of little active use. Maybe that's just me.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    they are encouraging cell phone use in hospitals now? it's been a few years since i had surgery, but when i did, i had to smuggle my phone in with me. i tried to see if the phone would mess with any of the monitors like the fear was at the time. it seems hospitals got the same answer i did.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post

That being said, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to be able to keep the phone with me, receive a few texts and about 10 emails, and walk out with > 10-20% battery life after a normal 8-10 hr day of little active use. Maybe that's just me.
    That's what i'm getting. just keep topping the battery off, in a week you'll be right as rain.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Maybe the ##EVDO# hack will work?
    Maybe setting it to 1xRTT or whatever Sprint network works best.

Because the default setting, Hybrid Rev A, keeps jumping up and down bars.
    Last edited by Kedar; 06/27/2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    i do the same as you by battery lasts me 2 days without charging...
    I have the same issues in my office with my Treo Pro. If there's a roam only hack or cab for the Pre that will improve battery life immensely.
  16. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    they are encouraging cell phone use in hospitals now? it's been a few years since i had surgery, but when i did, i had to smuggle my phone in with me. i tried to see if the phone would mess with any of the monitors like the fear was at the time. it seems hospitals got the same answer i did.
    well for hospital staff..they allways use cellies
    but even as a patient a couple months ago i brought my laptop and cell with me
    free wifi was the shiznit
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Something else you have to figure on is how the building is constructed.. If it's a fairly newer build. The signal will more then likely get through to you. Now if this is an older hospital with brick, stone, concreet, steel ect. Then you know just about no phone is going to work well in that situation.

I had a family member who had knee replacement at the Hospital For Special Surgery in Manhattan. That place was built like a bomb shelter. You could have dropped an A bomb next to it and you wouldn't have felt it. The only place I could get good signal was in the 5 level waiting area that had windows facing the East River.
    I also work at a hospital in Austin (PC Tech). We have two separate Wifi broadcasts; a secure one for employees and a guest access one. I have no trouble pulling up the "welcome/service agreement" screen when connected to guess access Wifi. Check with your IT support they might be able to help.
    At my wife's hospital here in St. Louis, Washington University/BJC has begun to replace the old MediPager network with Sprint CDMA equipment (supposed to be complete by spring 2010). All Physicians will now be able to use their cellular phones for pagers and have voice/data service in every last sq.ft of the medical campus. She is very happy about this as it's not fun having 3 pagers and phone hooked on you at all times.

Perhaps more hospitals will start going this direction?
    In my ICU as we speak (at lunch) and I'm currently at 93%.

Left the house this AM at ~5:45 so we're at a half-shift's use so far. Wifi on, email retrieval set to Q6 (I prefer to check manually anyways), sent/received about 15 texts, did a minimal bit of web browsing.

I totally agree with you re: epocrates, though. I don't have a good electronic reference at the moment besides micromedex on the hospital computers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast