Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    This application is a little difficult to review, because it's a very unusual application. The best way to understand it's capabilities fully is to watch the video on their website. That being said, I will do my best to explain/review it.

Evernote is basically a new way of taking notes that is much more rich and web oriented. Are you shopping on Amazon and comparing prices on products that you won't buy immediately? Well, rather than just bookmark each page, you can actually clip the page (highlight the parts you want) and drag them into Evernote. You can add notes to it with your own thoughts or additional data and store it all in an easy to access and search location.

Now, before I go on, I have to explain that Evernote is NOT a standaline application if you really want to take advantage of it. There doesn't seem to be any real integration into the web browser, so most of your good notes, you'll probably create on your desktop, and then you can refer to them from your Pre or visit the websites.

The neat thing about evernote is that you can clip parts of websites, add your own notes and text, tag them if desired for later searching and refer back to them all. It is easy to store, easy to find and kind of fun to use when you get used to it. It has taken me a while to learn how to use it, and you need to install some browser plugins to use it on your desktop, but once you learn it, the program is actually fairly useful.

The downside is that if you really use it a lot, you will have to pay a monthly/yearly fee. Evernote costs $5/month, or $45/year. If you really like it and use it, the yearly route is probably the best. Even if you don't want to pay, you can use it, but you are more limited on the amount of notes that you can sync with it

Evernote is not for everyone. There is a learning curve to get used to it, although it isn't difficult to use, it's more the concepts behind it that take some getting used to. It is a very neat application and it's one that I believe that I'll be using regularly, and may even purchase a subscription for, but each person's mileage will vary. I do suggest checking it out to see if it helps you, and check out the videos on their website to get a better feel what it does.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Is it me or does Evernote not allow copy and paste? I'm trying to copy/paste text that I am editing, and I thought that was the rule for allowed/not allowed copy/paste.

Apparently i was wrong.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    This application was updated, but I'm not sure that would affect the review. Anyone noticed any new functionality?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Isn't there a free option, with the choice to pay if you are a heavy/power user?

edit: read your post too fast and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

For everyone's info, to go from free to premium, your "Monthly upload allowance" goes up from 40 MB to 500 MB. That, the ability to upload and sync all kinds of documents/file types, and SSL security seem to be the key "Premium" features.
    Does Evernote for the Pre allow one to "clip" web pages surfed on the Pre?
    What about picture upload from the Pre's camera?

Thanks
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    Is it me or does Evernote not allow copy and paste? I'm trying to copy/paste text that I am editing, and I thought that was the rule for allowed/not allowed copy/paste.
    Yes, you can cut and paste. I was able to cut and paste in new notes as well in the default "Welcome" note. You do have to be in edit mode: When you first view an existing note, it is read-only. Your have to click the pencil to go to edit mode.

Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Does Evernote for the Pre allow one to "clip" web pages surfed on the Pre?
    What about picture upload from the Pre's camera?
    You can't clip websites on the Pre, but you could take a screenshot and send it. Another solution is to get the email address used to send yourself picture notes and add it to your address book. Then when you're on a site you want to clip, use the web menu > Page > Share and send it to your Evernote address. You get the link to the page (to clip on your PC) as well as a screenshot of the site.
    Okay. I tried saving web pages for offline reading during my commute. I clipped them from my PC, they were synced to Evernote and were then available on the Pre.

However, the Pre Evernote cannot work offline, at least not at this stage. I put it in Airplane mode and launched Evernote, it tried connecting (apps on the Pre seem not to be aware of Airplane mode and wait until they timed out), and finally said it was in offline mode. But in offline mode it's empty, even items you previously synced and then saved don't show up.

Bummer. Hopefully this will get better soon, it has a lot of potential for me.
    Last edited by sivan; 07/08/2009 at 02:27 AM.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Just as I was really starting to warm up to Evernote 3 and it's 'cloud' focus, it does just what I expect and is pretty useless. I kept wondering what would happen if you cannot connect. Well, for the last couple of days, I've found out: NOTHING. Evernote has proven to be very unreliable. The Windows client has only connected maybe one out of every three tries, the Pre client maybe two out three. This is not acceptable. I should be able to connect every time. And, no, going to the web site every time I want to access my data is not an acceptable mean either. What good is the syncing ability if you cannot connect to perform said syncing?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    The ability for you to search for text on a picture for example is pretty cool
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I just noticed that when I begin an email on my Pre it syncs as a draft on the GMAIL server. Then I can edit that on a PC, and save the draft. This could go on indefinitely, I'm assuming. So that is one of the best sync'able note systems I've found on the Pre.
    Previous versions of the Evernote app for PC stored data locally on the PC. Evernote 3 switched this from local storage to web-based storage. It's still a great program, but this limits the usefulness of the program somewhat on mobile platforms. Evernote 3 is not "unreliable" -- it just doesn't store anything locally and isn't designed to.