1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I don't completely get the point of Evernote.

Right now I have another mailbox, I created in Google, for notes.
    When I want to make a note I send an email, or attache a picture or screenshot, to the Notes email address.

This works great for me, I can then go and browse all my notes.

What are the advantages of the Evernote app, over my solution, other than searching?

Thanks for any info!
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Evernote syncs notes created either on your Pre or PC/Mac.

If you wanted to modify your note on your Pre with your email system, you'd need to mail it back to your desktop. If your note is in a Word or PDF, you won't be able to modify it until Doc 2 Go comes out.

With Evernote, you can change it at either location and its updated on the other - quickly.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    LOL Searching is pretty huge. Especially when you have 2000 plus notes.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Also, the desktop functions of Evernote are pretty awesome. Especially webclipping.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks TomD and heberman.. maybe I'll have to check it out again.

I checked it out about a year ago and didn't really see the point... but that could be an indicator that I don't need it.
    A big ole hearty HELL YEAH to the other Pro-Evernote comments.

Write a note. Take a pic. Send to ENote. Give 'em time.... and they magically transform text in the pic to searchable words...

Buisness cards, great ideas (that you haven't copy written yet), whatever writing they can read... it's searchable!

Can gMail do that for you? Maybe someday the BIG G will BUY ENote and INCORPORATE it into their WAVE system!

NOW THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre4ential treatment View Post
    A big ole hearty HELL YEAH to the other Pro-Evernote comments.
    There aren't any pro or anti evernote comments, just gathering info.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    LOL Searching is pretty huge. Especially when you have 2000 plus notes.
    Search of Evernote notes only works while inside the program. Some day Evernote search will probably be added to Universal Search.
    There's also the small issue of editing. You can go back and edit notes and add new information, delete irrelevant info, etc. Think of it as the wiki vs the forum.
    Also you can still email a note to yourself--you get an email address to send to with Evernote. In fact, this is how the picture capability is currently implemented on the Pre. Hopefully there will be better integration in the near future, but hey, it works. I'm now looking for business cards laying around my office to take pictures of!

Update: turns out the Pre camera is not quite capable enough to image business cards. Close enough to fill the field of view = too close to be in focus. Far out enough to be optically in focus = too far out to get enough detail on small text (especially serif text). It would be cool if the Pre could get a camera mode that would handle business cards and bar scans--I think it could handle it with tweaks to the image processing settings, but I could be completely wrong about that.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/01/2009 at 02:54 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Those of you using Evernote - it looks like a powerful system, but are there any security concerns with the information? How is it protected?

Do you use it for general items, or consider it safe for more confidential information?

Thanks.
    I don't and wouldn't keep anything more confidential in it than I would feel comfortable sending in an email. Their website is not secure (http, not https)

That said, it's great for doing price compares, vacation research, or clipping websites that might not be around for long. I have a few captures of forum posts because finding a useful post a week or so later can be a challenge.
    I believe the pro version provides an https connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre4ential treatment View Post
    Maybe someday the BIG G will BUY ENote and INCORPORATE it into their WAVE system!
    Google notebook was very similar to Evernote, but support was discontinued, so I would question their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I believe the pro version provides an https connection.
    Good to know!
    Does it do on-device caching or storage?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I just noticed that when I begin an email on my Pre it syncs as a draft on the GMAIL server. Then I can edit that on a PC, and save the draft. This could go on indefinitely, I'm assuming. So that is one of the best sync'able note systems I've found on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    good stuff
    PDF's that I've saved on Evernote won't open on my pre. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?