Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Nothing against the big guy upstairs but I don't want to see a banner pop up on accuweather advertising about god saving relationships with a link to some teachings that maybe any ***** wrote. Hell, why don't we advertise Satan while we are at it or maybe the funny shoe cult who liked comets?

Seriously, though. Who allowed religious adverts on my personal cell phone that I paid for????

EDIT: Please read the whole thread before assuming I hate God and that the app advert is reputable. My intent was to point out that the app advert seems like a hack and not some reputable advert. Click the link if you want to find out. It's hard not to do it accidentally.
    Last edited by jbrowland; 06/24/2009 at 03:15 PM.
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I think its funny. Its almost like someone hacked the app.

(P.S. If you don't like the advertising in that particular third party app, you don't have to download it. go to www.weather.com/iphone for an all around superior experience.)
  3. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Would you have felt the need to make a post about this had the ad been Islamic or Atheistic in nature?

I just have a problem with the ads in accuweather period. That's why I switched to a launcher link to weather.com's iPhone site (and it has moving radar).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I think its funny. Its almost like someone hacked the app.

(P.S. If you don't like the advertising in that particular third party app, you don't have to download it. go to The Weather Channel for an all around superior experience.)
    LOL yep that was my first thought as well! thx for the tip! I saw that in another post but have not yet tried it.
    I wondered how that happened in my Accuweather app. It looks so out of place. Doesn't affect me as I don't believe in god. :P
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Would you have felt the need to make a post about this had the ad been Islamic or Atheistic in nature?
    Yes. I believe in seperation of church and pre.

I hate all adverts on my personal cell phone but religious ones with links to god knows what (check out the funky link btw) really bother me. The link has no "credibility" and does in fact seem like a hack.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post

I just have a problem with the ads in accuweather period. That's why I switched to a launcher link to weather.com's iPhone site (and it has moving radar).
    The advert is pretty funny:

8.    #8  
    PLEASE don't turn this into a for/against religion thread. Thanks!

Thanks for putting that pic up xyg!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I'm not sure, but my guess would be it's paid advertising and it could just as easily be something like "...things go better with Coke". It's a nice app and it's free, just like television - advertisers pay so we don't have to. We always have the option to delete the app.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    I'm not sure, but my guess would be it's paid advertising and it could just as easily be something like "...things go better with Coke". It's a nice app and it's free, just like television - advertisers pay so we don't have to. We always have the option to delete the app.
    Agreed, a paid advertisement is a paid advertisement. I Don't think accuweather is pushing some type of agenda.
    I'm an atheist, but if some cult wants to advertise on Accuweather and if Accuweather wants to accept the ad, then who am I to complain? I have my choice: just use the app and ignore the ads, or don't.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Agreed, a paid advertisement is a paid advertisement. I Don't think accuweather is pushing some type of agenda.
    I still think it's a hack. Before they had BMW and Jaguar adverts. This seems a little... lowbrow in comparison.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I still think it's a hack. Before they had BMW and Jaguar adverts. This seems a little... lowbrow in comparison.
    hmm....all I've ever received is the t-mobile and home depot.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    Coke vs. God. LOL. Funny.

But seriously. Have you clicked the link? If it were a coke ad and took me to say coke.com then that's at least a reputable link. This "god" link takes you to some weird document style web page that for all I know was written by my dog. Seems out of place to me and again it lacks credibility IMHO.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    hmm....all I've ever received is the t-mobile and home depot.
    Even compared to these, the quality of the advert and where said advert actually directs you seems to make my assumption seem more realistic.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Coke vs. God. LOL. Funny.

But seriously. Have you clicked the link? If it were a coke ad and took me to say coke.com then that's at least a reputable link. This "god" link takes you to some weird document style web page that for all I know was written by my dog. Seems out of place to me and again it lacks credibility IMHO.
    I pretty much go out of my way not to click on an advertising links, but if it's as you say, I'd stick with Coke.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Seriously, though. Who allowed religious adverts on my personal cell phone that I paid for????

You did. When you downloaded the free application. You don't want them, then don't use the application.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I uninstalled that POS app about a minute after I installed it. I don't care what they're selling... all spam is repugnant.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    You did. When you downloaded the free application. You don't want them, then don't use the application.
    But was the app really FREE when I paid for the phone and it came with the app? Really? Free? No, not really free. Nothing is free. It was a selling point and selling points cost money because I couldn't have downloaded the app without my new Pre phone.

That said, I will be deleting this POS but not because of God adverts.
  20. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    But was the app really FREE when I paid for the phone and it came with the app free of charge? Really? Free? No, not really free. Nothing is free.
    Yes, the application was free. There are other free weather applications too - even some that don't include obnoxious advertising!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast