Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Who honestly cares if Accuweather uses religious ads? If you don't like it, stop using it. It's not as if you paid Accuweather to use their program.

Last time I checked this is the real world. There are things out there that you may not like; learn to deal with it.
    That's what church, synogogue, etc. is for, THAT'S an opt-in. I'll go there if I want to get a sermon. Leave that stuff OFF my phone unless I signed up for a newsletter from your organization!

What would happen if they started accepting pro or anti choice ads? Similar thing. I wonder how happy you all would be to see that?

Religion and politics simply should not be in general advertising, they are too controversial and touchy. They are NOT soda, candy bars, etc., they deal with people's serious personal beliefs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's what church, synogogue, etc. is for, THAT'S an opt-in. I'll go there if I want to get a sermon. Leave that stuff OFF my phone unless I signed up for a newsletter from your organization!

What would happen if they started accepting pro or anti choice ads? Similar thing. I wonder how happy you all would be to see that?

Religion and politics simply should not be in general advertising, they are too controversial and touchy. They are NOT soda, candy bars, etc., they deal with people's serious personal beliefs.
    Yeah, Im sure they would have "no problem with that", as some have said here.

Yeah, tell us another one guys.

Because you say so? That's not enough, Ms. Diva. If you don't like it, you don't use the product that's advertising whatever you don't like. It really is that simple. Nobody is making you use that program. Don't use it.
    Have fun if they start with the political ads, that's all I have to say.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #106  
    Can't we all just go back to slamming the iphone now?
    "Oh noes, my weather program showed me a Palin 2012 ad!!! Now I'm going to whine about how it offends me to people on the interwebs!!!"

I don't care what kind of ad they run as long as it's not some racist ad from the KKK or something.
    According to the people here, touchy ad subjects can be allowed even if people didn't opt in for them specifically. So yes the KKK CAN advertise.

Lets advertise Nazism next. Is that cool with you guys??
    shrug, i'd say don't use the app or write to accuweather and complain if you aren't happy with the advertising.
    Now you're comparing religion to outright ignorance and racism? Sorry two completely different things.

Oh and theoretically the KKK could advertise. They paid for the space, it's their right to advertise in the space as long as it conforms to Accuweather's guidelines.
    Remember religion has been used to hold many people down. Not completely seperate because it's so often misused and hid behind for all kinds of atrocities.

Sorry Diva, repeating the same this more strongly does not make a valid argument. You haven't said WHY religious ads should not be allowed, or why they a "different"; other than you feel strongly about it.

The person who write the app gets to choose the advertising they want to allow. You get to choose whether or not you want the app. It's that somple.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Yeah, Im sure they would have "no problem with that", as some have said here.

Yeah, tell us another one guys.
    Oh, so mow you spaek for otherz? I think NOW we see where the hypocricy lies...
    According to the people here, touchy ad subjects can be allowed even if people didn't opt in for them specifically. So yes the KKK CAN advertise.
    Of COURSE they can_ IF that's what tha app publishers want to allow. Are you designating yourself the arbritor of what an appp author chooses to do? Scary.
    I said over and over that both religion and politics are very touchy subjects that affect people personally and that's why they aren't the same as other ads. When you start pushing these types of agendas that no one asked to receive onto people's personal devices, I think you're treading into dangerous territory. I don't want agendas, lectures or sermons on my phone unless I asked for them. I never opted in to be told what I should believe in. Who told the app developer to assume everyone wants these types of ads pushed to them? Is that a weather app or a church? I'll decide when I want church on my phone, not them. Those are the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of COURSE they can_ IF that's what tha app publishers want to allow. Are you designating yourself the arbritor of what an appp author chooses to do? Scary.
    READ what I'm saying.

You want religious and political agendas pushed toward people that they never asked to see? YOU are the one whose scary if so.

Well, Diva and Pee, you now have the two things necessary for choice: knowledge and freedom of action. You are aware that religious ads are a possibility. In the same way, the religious folks are now aware the the opposite is possible. So, having chosen to accept these ads, but then discovering them to be distasteful, why not just uninstall the app? You are free to do so if the terms under which it was offered are no longer acceptable. You can create a launcher link to the Weather Channel mobile site. I find it more useful and less annoying. But, you see, you've had all the power in this situation all along. No one can force it on you. I guess the question now is what you'll do with your choice.

READ what I'm saying.

You want religious and political agendas pushed toward people that they never asked to see? YOU are the one whose scary if so.
    You want Coke and Pepsi ads pushed toward people that they never asked to see? I don't see a difference. If the ad is unacceptable, uninstall the app. 99.999% of the people that see the ads take barely conscious note of them, mentally categorize them as being of no interest, and move on. Seconds later they probably can't even tell you what the ad was for.
    I don't know about the other guy, but I obviously won't be using that app on ANY phone. It's on my Sony Ericsson.

Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    You want Coke and Pepsi ads pushed toward people that they never asked to see? I don't see a difference. If the ad is unacceptable, uninstall the app. 99.999% of the people that see the ads take barely conscious note of them, mentally categorize them as being of no interest, and move on. Seconds later they probably can't even tell you what the ad was for.
    Once again, soda is NOT the same as religion and politics.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast