Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 132
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Yes yes...but the problem is that the damage done by seeing the text of a God add is deep and stings for years.
    Get a life. How can an ad about something that doesn't exist sting deeply and for years. Ronald McDonald never offended me.

    On the other hand, if the ad is correct, good news!
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    you're insistence that others believe exactly as you do is offensive. You're revealing a lot about yourself.
    I don't care what you believe, you have to answer (or not) for that. However, please don't insist the rest of us believe as you do.
    Yes, what I believe is irrelevant. Very true, couldn't agree more. All I'm saying is take accountability for your own actions, look to yourself for guidance. It's within you to do. You don't need others, be they clerics or otherwise, to tell you what to do.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Yes yes...but the problem is that the damage done by seeing the text of a God add is deep and stings for years.
    Was this a serious statement or satirical?
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Was this a serious statement or satirical?
    Satirical.....mostly.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Yes, what I believe is irrelevant. Very true, couldn't agree more. All I'm saying is take accountability for your own actions, look to yourself for guidance. It's within you to do. You don't need others, be they clerics or otherwise, to tell you what to do.
    And why do you insist on telling me (or anyone else) what I/we should or should not do? Your way may work great for you. If it does. Fine, live it. My way is different, and it works well for me.

    But, none of that has anything to do with the ad!! I don't like Pepsi. But, if PepsiCo wants to pay money to tell me it's the best drink out there, and in return I get a free app, I don't care if they try to tell me that. I'm smart enough, or maybe stubborn enough, to still choose Coke (in my case, Diet Coke) in spite of their ad.

    It certainly doesn't offend me that they tried.

    It sounds to me like the root of your offense-taking might be your own insecurities...
  6. tyea's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #86  
    As long as the weather app is free (with no alternative non pop-up add integrated weather apps), I'll probably tolerate annoying pop up adds. I don't think I'll pay for an app that has pop up adds, if there is another app that provides a similar service without adds. It's like going to the movies today. If you get to the movie on time, you have to watch advertisements for an entertainment that you paid for, and that is annoying. My sprint bill is costly to me, and it annoys me that I have advertisements (without my permission) taking up valuable screen space. I suspect in the near future, with integrated GPS services, targeted advertisement will be unavoidable, like in the movie Minority Report.

    The pop-up ad in the accuweather has me on the fence of deleting the application. I may decide not use an app if I feel my use of the app is benefiting an organization or buisness, which I do not want to assist for any number of reasons, and I'm grateful I have the this freedom of choice.

    I'd like to see a wireless carrier service option to block all adds for a price. We have the federal no call phone number list feature available to the public for free. People who pay for a service should have an option to exclude advertisement. In the case with accuweather, the only option is to delete the app. People use TIVO to minimize addvertisment exposure, watch TV on hulu to minimize their add exposure, etc..It seems there is money to made with advertising, and money to be made avoiding advertising. As long as there is money to be made and money to be spent there will probably be an acceptable state of equilibrium with a tolerable state of advertisement. I hope It never gets so bad that I'll have to listen to an advertisement before I can make a phone call.
  7. #87  
    Pleople have made a HUGE business out of God.. not surprised the ad is on there.

    I personally don't really care, I just ignore it like I do to all the 'Jesus saves' pamphlets that litter my doorstep.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
  8. #88  
    See, heres the thing though. I wonder if the people here who claim they dont have a problem with Jesus ads would feel the same if it were for Judaism, Atheism, etc. I'm guessing you wouldnt. And that would make you hypocrites since its just another belief other than the one you yourself believe in.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    But, none of that has anything to do with the ad!! I don't like Pepsi. But, if PepsiCo wants to pay money to tell me it's the best drink out there, and in return I get a free app, I don't care if they try to tell me that. I'm smart enough, or maybe stubborn enough, to still choose Coke (in my case, Diet Coke) in spite of their ad.

    It certainly doesn't offend me that they tried.

    It sounds to me like the root of your offense-taking might be your own insecurities...
    +1!

    If an ad disturbs you this much, distance yourself from it. Its funny...considering that this small ad has already impacted soo many lives. Pretty affective if you ask me! And I wonder what they paid...probably the best bang for the buck!

    Someone should link this forum to Accuweather so they can see that those ads DO work! Lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    As long as the weather app is free (with no alternative non pop-up add integrated weather apps), I'll probably tolerate annoying pop up adds. I don't think I'll pay for an app that has pop up adds, if there is another app that provides a similar service without adds. It's like going to the movies today. If you get to the movie on time, you have to watch advertisements for an entertainment that you paid for, and that is annoying. My sprint bill is costly to me, and it annoys me that I have advertisements (without my permission) taking up valuable screen space. I suspect in the near future, with integrated GPS services, targeted advertisement will be unavoidable, like in the movie Minority Report.

    The pop-up ad in the accuweather has me on the fence of deleting the application. I may decide not use an app if I feel my use of the app is benefiting an organization or buisness, which I do not want to assist for any number of reasons, and I'm grateful I have the this freedom of choice.

    I'd like to see a wireless carrier service option to block all adds for a price. We have the federal no call phone number list feature available to the public for free. People who pay for a service should have an option to exclude advertisement. In the case with accuweather, the only option is to delete the app. People use TIVO to minimize addvertisment exposure, watch TV on hulu to minimize their add exposure, etc..It seems there is money to made with advertising, and money to be made avoiding advertising. As long as there is money to be made and money to be spent there will probably be an acceptable state of equilibrium with a tolerable state of advertisement. I hope It never gets so bad that I'll have to listen to an advertisement before I can make a phone call.
    The difference is that youre paying for internet and voice on your Pre. You DIDNT pay for the app! However, like many people here have already pointed out, to get a better price for the consumer, some subsidization has to take place. You get ads on the Accuweather app because its free. You DONT get ads on Sprint Navigation because you PAY for it.

    In my understanding, you have to pay for something. Our Govt needs its tax money from us to operate. If you dont like paying taxes or adding value another way (being in the service, for instance), then you are free to leave the country. Maybe some Iran citizens would DIE to have advertising for a service that benefits them!

    Oh, paying to cover up/hide advertisements is an option. But in the long run, this hurts you because developers will catch wind and not offer the programs/services you want.

    One way or the other, it seems like youre going to pay!
  10. Drybonz's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #90  
    Wow... 5 pages in 2 days. Nothing whips people into a frenzy like a god comment.

    I don't use Accuweather because I don't like that it incorporates any kind of advertising. The weather feature in "Where" is just fine and I like having everything in 1 app as opposed to multiple apps for each thing anyway.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    See, heres the thing though. I wonder if the people here who claim they dont have a problem with Jesus ads would feel the same if it were for Judaism, Atheism, etc. I'm guessing you wouldnt. And that would make you hypocrites since its just another belief other than the one you yourself believe in.
    Seems like you're assuming a lot. I'd guess that lots and lots of people would really and truly have absolutely no problem with that. Of course, you've effectively made it impossible to find out. You say, "i'd guess you would probably have a problem with this, and that makes you hypocrites". To that, you'd probably get a chorus of responses, "No, in fact, we couldn't possibly care less". To that you reply, "Neener, neener, you're just saying that so you don't look like hypocrites!" You've effectively poisoned the chance to find out what's really going on in people's minds by inadvertently forcing an alternative motive on the situation. I've seen the ads for atheism. A couple were pretty funny and well-done. The Darwin fish (not an atheism ad per se, but something that pops up in discussions...) is one of the cleverer things out there, imho. And, yes, I'm very much a theist.

    Read this guy's experience, as well as the long thread of people who correctly call him out as a bigot. He even had to write a nicely-disguised retraction. Sometimes one really just doesn't have the means to make blanket statements.
  12. #92  
    Tomassco.
    +2 on the man up statement.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    See, heres the thing though. I wonder if the people here who claim they dont have a problem with Jesus ads would feel the same if it were for Judaism, Atheism, etc. I'm guessing you wouldnt. And that would make you hypocrites since its just another belief other than the one you yourself believe in.
    You guess wrong. I can ignore those as easy as I can ignore ads for anything else.

    However, since you haven't expressed an antipathy for ads that AREN'T religious, are you being hypocritical? When Pepsi says they're the best, are they not expressing a belief different than mine? Why should that be less offensive?
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why? Why should one type of ad be banned over another. Why is it any more "wrong" for someone to pay to push their agenda about religion than it is for them to push their agenda about what deodorant to wear?
    I believe in not pushing your religious beliefs down others' throats. Religion is a very personal and often touchy subject. I don't want to see political ads on my phone either, for the same reason. Those are 2 ad types that need to be left OFF people's personal devices unless they subscribe to something or opt in. I don't use my phone just to have crap pop up telling who or what I should believe in.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    It amazes me that there are people naive enough to believe they are powerful enough to change capitalistic commerce. I don't need to pay for news, it's free! Hmmm, checked the top of this page lately?

    "Who allowed Sprint to advertise on the web page I'm reading for free???"

    If you believe you're entitled to get an app for free then you must be a better person than me. Who's paying the programmer for his time? How long will he/she survive without income? Never met too many Bruce Wayne type programmers in my lifetime.

    Think Sprint/Palm is going to subsidize all of those apps just because you paid $200 for your phone? Think that $65 a month plan is going to get you all sorts of free stuff (which I think is funny because you're already paying for something you think you're getting for free anyway)?

    Been to the movies lately? Paid your nine bucks. Avoid any commercials? Yeah, right.

    This is America, people. Want to pay me $300 to put an ad on the back of my head then it's your right. It's also your right not to look at the back of my head.

    Accuweather or not, God or not, ad or not, there is no law in the United States that prevents you from being offended.

    Man up, Dude, and quit whining like a little girl.


    It would be nice if you would quit the sexist statements.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I believe in not pushing your religious beliefs down others' throats. Religion is a very personal and often touchy subject. I don't want to see political ads on my phone either, for the same reason. Those are 2 ad types that need to be left OFF people's personal devices unless they subscribe to something or opt in. I don't use my phone just to have crap pop up telling who or what I should believe in.
    I couldn't agree more. Users of Acuweather opted in.

    I believe that the flavor of soft drink I choose is a very personaly thing. I don't see any difference between one type of ad trying to convince someone of something or another ad.

    It could be worse, there could be a band singing "Viva Via-you-know-what"
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You guess wrong. I can ignore those as easy as I can ignore ads for anything else.

    However, since you haven't expressed an antipathy for ads that AREN'T religious, are you being hypocritical? When Pepsi says they're the best, are they not expressing a belief different than mine? Why should that be less offensive?
    Are you really comparing a soft drink with religion? Cause thats a might stupid of you.

    Nothing will ever EVER compare to religion, not even close. It carries a lot of emotional stuff/history with it & its a very personal thing to most people. Probably has more influence on those people who follow it more than anything else in the world.

    I mean c'mon, wars have been fought over it. I dont remember anyone being killed over a soda pop. Although there was the "cola wars" & that time Michael Jackson got his hair caught on fire in the 80s, but thats about it.
  18. #98  
    Is there a disclaimer that says "there will be ads trying to tell you what your religious beliefs should be"? If not, then NO they didn't opt in.

    And quit trying to use that soda analogy. Religion ISN'T the same thing and you know it!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is there a disclaimer that says "there will be ads trying to tell you what your religious beliefs should be"? If not, then NO they didn't opt in.

    And quit trying to use that soda analogy. Religion ISN'T the same thing and you know it!
    Fact of the matter is that the people making the ad can choose to put in whatever ads they want. It's perfectly legal. There's no such thing as separation of Church and internet or church and phone. If you see it and don't like it, don't use the program again. Simple as that.
  20. sam1am's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #100  
    Has anyone looked into the possibility of blocking the ads from your host file?

    They don't bother me much, I think accuweather is a pretty good app.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions