Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I submitted this to the Palm online suggestion box:

If you know the computer music player, WinAmp, then you know how dynamic, capable, and visual pleasing it is use! Pre's music app feels half baked right now. It could follow some of WinAmp's lead to really create a killer music app that people will remember, the same way the iPod makes the iPhone stand out. If Pre's music app contained custom playlist creation/editing, music tagging capability with album art tagging, and player visualization graphics similar to WinAmp's visualizations then users would really be proud and boastful of Pre's music app!!

I want to be able to drag and drop any DRM-free mp3's onto my Pre and have the Pre assist me in tagging the song via a background internet search (I mean, isn't that the whole concept of WebOS?!). Of course the tag should be editable, the same way it is on WinAmp. This would make album art and artist tagging painless and fun!

Custom playlists creation is a must! People have enjoyed such a tool on other devices, like the Samsung Instinct, for a while a now! You should be able to start from a blank slate and add any song on your device to the playlist. Simple.

Music visualizations is an aesthetic add-on that would really make Pre's music app stand out. So when you are listening to your song, you get an option for a fullscreen graphic animation of the song, similar to the way WinAmp does it! People really love such things that add to visual appeal of their applications. Pre would then be known for such a great feature! In fact you could use the visualization feature in a commercial to help market the Pre!
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Pre's music app feels half baked right now.
    I'm hoping Palm will work on all it's apps as they all appear to be half backed just now!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I disagree. I think the rest of the apps are excellent. Of course there could be some tweaks to all the apps. But I would really want to see the music app revamped.
    Seriously? You want to waste more battery while music is playing by having the processor not only decode the music, but display a useless graphic that you won't even see most of the time because the phone is in your pocket?

And music tagging features? I think they assume you'll be buying your music legitimately from Amazon or from iTunes- no tagging needed since it's already done for you.

I agree about custom playlists though. I don't use them, but I can definitely see how it'd be useful for many.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    An mp3 player does not decode the music when it displays visualizations. It is already playing a digital image of the music, it would just have to display the digital image graphically, as well as acoustically. So your overdramatic concern is completely unfounded! A graphic visualization feature, like you said, could be viewable from 5 secs into player-idle until the screen turns off after 1 or 2 mins. Compared to all the other things that WebOS is doing simultaneously, such a feature would add less than 1% battery usage! However it would the aesthetic appeal that you love in WinAmp or Windows Media Player or iPhone's iPod's cover-flow-3D feature.

Of course if you use iTunes or Amazon you will get the autotag, but you really think that lots of people don't have DRM-free music floating on their computers untagged? WinAmp analyzes songs filenames when you play them to try to find the appropriate tags if need be, via the web. Shouldn't the WEBOS music app offer something similar?!
    Last edited by Ecoteric; 06/24/2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Adding some Equalizer presets would be great as well, and would make the music app a bonafide player.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    oh man a equalizer would be awesome