Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I use the music player fairly extensively, so I've had some time to play with it and get familiar with it.

Overall it does it's job well as a basic music player. It has support for most of the things that you see in iTunes. You can play your songs based on Genres, Playlists, Albums, Artists, and you can create your own playlists. It also has a decent shuffle and repeat function that work just like the iPod

Sadly, most of the functionality it should have is severely lacking in it's present form. The best way to use the music player is to sync your MP3s with iTunes. iTunes allows you to organize your music into your groups, rename them, and create playlists, all of which is lacking in the music player.

The music player does not have a sliding bar, so the only way to fast forward or rewind through MP3s is to hold down the fast forward or rewind button. Luckily, it does exponentially speed up, so it isn't quite as painful to fast forward through an hour long audio book file as it could be, but it also isn't as smooth and easy as a slider bar would be.

Another feature that it is lacking is any way of keeping track of where you are in a song or playlist if the program is closed or the phone is restarted. There is no bookmarking feature of any sort. So if you are in the middle of an audiobook and you need to restart your phone for any reason or close the music player, you'd better be able to remember where you were, because it won't.

Despite it's shortcomings, there are hopes. There aren't really any critical flaws, and it does a good job of playing music. If you keep your phone in it's microfiber case, it is nice to know that the button on the mic of the headphones will allow you to pause your music by clicking it once, and to skip to the next song by clicking it twice. There is no need to pull it out of it's case to press keys on the screen.

The volume buttons on the side of the phone are very useful as well., and the headphones magnets do help keep them from getting tangled up if you remember to clip them together.

Overall, the music player has enough use and features that it isn't disappointing, but it is also lacking some important features that prevent it from being above average.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zyxwv88; 06/26/2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Adding pics and line about shuffle/repeat function
    Thanks for the review!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Using the headset when in media player, press the headset button twice to skip to the next song without turing the display on
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I submitted this to the Palm online suggestion box:

If you know the computer music player, WinAmp, then you know how dynamic, capable, and visual pleasing it is use! Pre's music app feels half baked right now. It could follow some of WinAmp's lead to really create a killer music app that people will remember, the same way the iPod makes the iPhone stand out. If Pre's music app contained custom playlist creation/editing, music tagging capability with album art tagging, and player visualization graphics similar to WinAmp's visualizations then users would really be proud and boastful of Pre's music app!!

I want to be able to drag and drop any DRM-free mp3's onto my Pre and have the Pre assist me in tagging the song via a background internet search (I mean, isn't that the whole concept of WebOS?!). Of course the tag should be editable, the same way it is on WinAmp. This would make album art and artist tagging painless and fun!

Custom playlists creation is a must! People have enjoyed such a tool on other devices, like the Samsung Instinct, for a while a now! You should be able to start from a blank slate and add any song on your device to the playlist. Simple.

Music visualizations is an aesthetic add-on that would really make Pre's music app stand out. So when you are listening to your song, you get an option for a fullscreen graphic animation of the song, similar to the way WinAmp does it! People really love such things that add to visual appeal of their applications. Pre would then be known for such a great feature! In fact you could use the visualization feature in a commercial to help market the Pre!!
    Does the music player on the Pre have a "shuffle" or "random" feature?

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    Definitely. Have you not used the music app yet?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    Yes

The Media Player also needs a volume normalization option.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    Yes

The Media Player also needs a volume normalization option.
    I think that's asking for too much.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I think the music player is more than adequate.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to get the album covers attached to the music files? I used winamp currently to listen to them in my computer. Once I loaded them on to the Pre it would only show 3 album covers. I did try and go through Winamp to attach the album covers to the files but to no avail. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    They need to be actually embedded in the music files. Media Monkey is one way to do it.
    how is it that Palm doesn't show the time of the track and elapsed time? It's such a glaring omission, it's simply inexcusable. It's bad enough there's no sliding bar to skip through a track, but even without you still need to know where you are within a song while fast-forwarding. Really odd that they left out such a fundamental feature of any digital music player.
    I hope they get better audiobook support. POST 10!
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    how is it that Palm doesn't show the time of the track and elapsed time? It's such a glaring omission, it's simply inexcusable. It's bad enough there's no sliding bar to skip through a track, but even without you still need to know where you are within a song while fast-forwarding. Really odd that they left out such a fundamental feature of any digital music player.
    If you click on the icon next to the music symbols it will show all the tracks in list format and show you the time in the currently playing track.
    Quote Originally Posted by klt0042 View Post
    I think the music player is more than adequate.
    Probably. But I don't think Palm was going for simply "adequate" when they designed the Pre/WebOS. If this phone is going to seriously compete with the iPhone, then there is a lot of work to be done on the Music Player app.

On a side note, has anyone else found switching between tracks to be a little laggy?
    Has anyone seen this issue? For some of my large Albumwrap mp3 files, the Music Player ends after only a few minutes, instead of playing the entire Albumwrap mp3. Anyone seen this?

Thx,
    B
    Coreplayer should be out soon. This is what I always use on my Centro since it supports many more formats (including FLAC) than other players. The only pain with the PalmOS version was lack of background play. This should be a no-brainer in WebOS.
  18. EXC
    Nice review!
    I love the review! I just hope Palm allows users t o make the app for them! I like the music player remix from homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beave4 View Post
    If you click on the icon next to the music symbols it will show all the tracks in list format and show you the time in the currently playing track.
    Download the Muic Player Remix (using Preloader from PreCentral). It does display the elapsed as well as play time remaining. Much better than the standard Music Player.