Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

while porting Resco Explorer to Classic we found there are quite a few features that do not work. (Either due to the device limitations or due to the emulator.)

RE Classic version is available on most of the reseller sites as part of the zip installer (direct link). Current owners of RE for Palm OS can use this release by applying the same unlock code as the one used for the Palm OS device.

My question is whether it makes sense to release a special low-priced Lite version, which would primarily target the Classic users. Basically the Lite version would be still a very capable file manager with seemlessly integrated zip/ftp/LAN drives and a few additional features. In other words - still a very capable file manager. More detailed feature list follows.

Supported features:
    - Complete file management
    - DB viewer
    - Transparently integrated Zip
    - Image preview
    - Backup/Restore
    - Mounting FTP sites as another card
    - Mounting LAN drives as another card
    - Control panel with alarms, preferences browser, network tools etc.
    - Text editor
    - Http download
    - Tools such as search, filter, directory synchronization etc.

Unsupported features:
    - tar/bzip2
    - Bluetooth browsing of remote devices
    - Network browser (You can access a LAN computer if you set up its address manually)
    - Documents folder
    - Card: Formatting, labeling, FAT scan
    - External tools (reader/viewer/player)
    - Limited application launching
    - Audio player
    - Flush DbCache
    - Beam/Bluetooth sending
    - Network disconnect
    - Reset
    I personally feel the focus should be on developing WebOS applications.

I won't be purchasing Classic and, therefore, have no interest in running apps in Classic.

I think it's great that you're supporting current users, but feel porting software to an emulator should be secondary.

Just my opinion.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I'd have to agree that WebOS should come first, unless:
    a) very little development work is needed to do the Classic port
    b) doing so truly won't be of any measurable detriment to the WebOS development

Of course, I've never paid for Resco Explorer, so it probably depends on how many people will be pissed off because their app no longer works.

Keep in mind, that the first of their kind WebOS apps will have the ability to make huge inroads without competition - the profit of that alone probably makes it worth your while to go wholly WebOS.

Good luck!
    I just bought Classic, but agree that I don't expect to purchase new Classic apps. I'm hoping that the authors of my favorite classic apps will be coming out with WebOS versions after the SDK (or whatever it's called) is released more broadly.

I'm THRILLED that some of the companies that sold me Classic apps are currently supporting my migration to the Pre, by the way, and I'm using a handful of them now. (Thus the purchase of Classic.) I just see the future of this device being in the WebOS world.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the reactions.

RE Classic version already exists, hence there is no additional programming work involved. (Though we must not forget that there is still some work besides programming, too.)

This version is free for existing RE users. I just wanted to know if there are other Clasic users who are interested in a file manager with listed abilities.

As far WebOS development is concerned, we cannot do else but wait for native SDK. Whoever claims that things such as zip, jpeg, gif, aes, net protocols etc etc can be efficiently programmed under JScript/Html - simply does not know what he is talking about.

Of course, I agree that a native file manager would be a top option.

(As an extra complication we have to wait until PRE is sold in EU.)
    Have always been a big fan of Explorer and have been using my existing version to clean up in Classic (lots of apps don't run). Just tried the "Pre" version - font seems a little bigger, but it tells me registration key does not work (same sync ID). I have not updated Explorer in quite a while. Tx for your help.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    I sent a message to the Resco group. They are definately going to be doing apps for the Pre once the SDK kit comes out!

And I suspect that a lot of the companies we purchase Palm software from, are going to jump in an do there apps in the new Palm WebOS. They made money from Palm for all these years. So unless they give up entirely on Palm products, we will see them.

I've decided to just be patient, stuff is in the works and the hackers here are learning a ton of stuff that will speed development when the SDK kit comes out.

That's my opinion only!

Rob

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

And I suspect that a lot of the companies we purchase Palm software from, are going to jump in an do there apps in the new Palm WebOS. They made money from Palm for all these years. So unless they give up entirely on Palm products, we will see them.
    Some long time Palm Developers have already announced that they do not intend to support WebOS. However that doesn't mean they have given up on Palm products. They may elect to continue selling PalmOS software to Centro users and they may also sell WM software which will run on the Pro.
    Janos,

I think i big limitation of the Pre is the ability or lack thereof to delete files via the Pre itself. If your RE version can do this, I think it will be very popular.

Also:
    - Backup/Restore
    Is this just of the classic folders or more than classic?

- Mounting FTP sites as another card
    - Mounting LAN drives as another card
    cards in classic or in WebOS - also can I then drag and drop files between sites and the media folders in the usb drive space.

- Control panel with alarms, preferences browser, network tools etc.
    are we talking about setting preferences like ringtones, sms alert tones etc or just in classic

- Text editor
    - Http download
    - Tools such as search, filter, directory synchronization etc.
    I suspect this is restricted to the USB drive space, yes?

I still think you can make a go of this, because there are plenty of people who would like to transfer files, music, vids without the USB cable.

I think you will just have to promote it well, since a non-RE user has to buy classic and RE.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Resco Explorer Lite - anybody interested?
    I'd be interested, but not for $29.95 when only half of the features work. FileZ is free and granted a bit limited compared to Resco. I would pay $14.95 for Resco Explorer.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMiami View Post
    Just tried the "Pre" version ... it tells me registration key does not work (same sync ID).
    The code from RE v5 (RE 2009) is accepted. Apart from that it still could be the case error.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I sent a message to the Resco group. They are definately going to be doing apps for the Pre once the SDK kit comes out!
    Not any SDK, but native SDK. iPhone got the native SDK later, too.

I've decided to just be patient, stuff is in the works and the hackers here are learning a ton of stuff that will speed development when the SDK kit comes out.
    Agree, it is too early to judge.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I think i big limitation of the Pre is the ability or lack thereof to delete files via the Pre itself. If your RE version can do this, I think it will be very popular.
    Interesting

Backup/Restore
    Is this just of the classic folders or more than classic?
    For whatever is mounted on Classic.

Mounting LAN drives as another card
    cards in classic or in WebOS - also can I then drag and drop files between sites and the media folders in the usb drive space.
    I used the word "card" in the old meaning - should have used "drive" instead.
    With USB connection working you should be able to setup a network connection in Explorer. (To specify tcp address of the target comp, the share name of the drive and the login info.) As a result you will be able to manage a remote LAN drive and perform the file exchange between this drive and the local Classic folder.

Control panel with alarms, preferences browser, network tools etc.
    are we talking about setting preferences like ringtones, sms alert tones etc or just in classic
    Just in Classic

Tools such as search, filter, directory synchronization etc.
    I suspect this is restricted to the USB drive space, yes?
    No, you can compare even against a remote folder, even if it was on FTP. (Of course, FTP problem is the slow access.)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I'd be interested, but not for $29.95 when only half of the features work. FileZ is free and granted a bit limited compared to Resco. I would pay $14.95 for Resco Explorer.
    Thanks, I thought of the price $9.95.
  15.    #15  
    And the same lite version would work under Palm OS, of course.
    Well that's pretty reasonable, at least for a WebOS version. I'm not buying Classic, so the classic version wouldn't be of interest. (well, not to me, perhaps others.)

I haven't used RE before as the Pre is the first smart phone I've ever owned, but do you know if the WebOS version will have wireless network share browsing capabilities? I realize, of course, that much of that is dependent on the OS, but assuming WebOS supports it (it's Linux, why wouldn't it?) will wireless network share browsing be available?

Incidentally, the reason I emphasize wireless is that having the ability to browse network shares while connected with a USB cable is rather pointless since one can just use the computer one is connected with to browse the network and one can then put the Pre into "USB Drive" mode for transferring files. But the ability to not have to plug in to copy up or down a file on your network would be fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post
    Well that's pretty reasonable, at least for a WebOS version. I'm not buying Classic, so the classic version wouldn't be of interest. (well, not to me, perhaps others.)

I haven't used RE before as the Pre is the first smart phone I've ever owned, but do you know if the WebOS version will have wireless network share browsing capabilities? I realize, of course, that much of that is dependent on the OS, but assuming WebOS supports it (it's Linux, why wouldn't it?) will wireless network share browsing be available?
    There is no WebOS version. RE is PalmOS only.
    Sign me up
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    sign me up as well !!
    So how come I just had to pay $19.95 at the Handmark store? I only intend to use this in Classic, and now I find out that features are crippled.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast