Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    webos ftw...
    Janos,

I've used RE for several years, and I've already installed RE-Lite on my Pre. First of all, thanks for providing (free!) a version of RE that's designed to work with Classic. Obviously, I'm not in the market to purchase RE-Lite, and, like other posted have mentioned, I'm not looking to purchase additional PalmOS apps. I'm just using Classic to run a couple of critical (to me) apps until a WebOS version appears.

Thanks for your work with PalmOS and WebOS.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    So how come I just had to pay $19.95 at the Handmark store? I only intend to use this in Classic, and now I find out that features are crippled.
    I am sorry, but the vast majority of the omitted features are due to the Pre/Classic limitations and by the lack of ported apps (app launching support). We decided ourselves in one case only - tar/bzip2.
  4.    #24  
    As I don't have a Pre, it is problematic for me to write down good instructions. Would be great if somebody could review the following text:

Accessing a LAN drive

Explorer allows you to mount folders or drives of a remote computer as a local drive.
    You can then freely manipulate the files on the remote computer from your device.

Typical use cases are:
    - Accessing standalone personal computer
    - Accessing the whole LAN, i.e. the computer you are connected to and other computers on the network.

To do so, open Explorer Menu > Tools > Network Connections.
    While the full Palm OS Explorer allows you to browse the network and simply select remote drive,
    this is not possible under the Classic emulator - here you need to describe the connection manually.

What you need

1) You need to say which computer you want to access. This is done by specifying its ip address.

2) You need the share name.
    The computer owner decides which folders/drives are visible to the rest of the world.
    It does so by defining so-called shares.
    For example:
    - The share "DISK_C" may point to the drive "C".
    - The share "MyDocuments" may point to the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\My Documents".

3) You need login, i.e. the user name and the password.
    When defining a share, the computer owner decides which users can access its contents:
    - Some users may be allowed to browse and read the files only,
    - Other users may be allowed anything, even to delete the files.

The most typical case is that you will simply use the login to your desktop computer.
    However, you can also use the login of any other computer in the network.
    The selection of the login defines what you can do with the remote files.

4) Domains (used in enterprises)
    More complex networks are organized hierarchically into so-called domains.
    If it is your case, then ask your network administrator, which domain should you use.
    Otherwise simply ignore the domain field. (Leave it empty.)

Windows

File sharing implementation differs among various Windows versions.
    As a rule, you can start by clicking the desktop My Computer icon,
    then right-click the disk or folder you want to share and select Sharing (or Properties).
    You will find thus existing share names or eventually can add new shares.

To find computer ip address you can use
    Network control panel > Local Area Connection > Properties > select Internet Protocol > Properties

A better way (mainly if you use dynamic ip addresses - DHCP):
    - Open command prompt (Start icon > Run... > Type "cmd" and press Enter)
    - Type the command "ipconfig"
    - You may get multiple adapters - in such case look for "Local Area Connection"

Mac OS X

Mac uses the term share point instead of a share.
    You can mount a share point of any remote computer in the network provided it supports Microsoft Windows file sharing (SMB).

Tools you can use:
    - The Network pane of System Preferences
    - Terminal application (UNIX shell command prompt; for advanced users only)
    - Freeware program Network Magic makes finding ip address etc very easy

Problems

To verify that the tcp address can be reached from your device:
    Start Resco Explorer, go to Control Panel > Network > Ping and enter the ip address such as 192.168.11.108.
    Altogether RE will make 9 attempts to reach ("ping") given address.

The positive answer looks like this:
    1|60ms [192.168.11.108]
    2|40ms [192.168.11.108]
    etc. (1st trial took 60 milliseconds, 2nd only 40 etc.)

Negative answer looks like this:
    1| 300 ms err 0x1212
    2| 300 ms err 0x1212
    etc. (error 0x1212 means timeout)

Additional Information

Resco Explorer 2009 for Palm OS: Network, FTP
    Contains the instructions for Palm OS as well as a more detailed explanation of the concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    I am sorry, but the vast majority of the omitted features are due to the Pre/Classic limitations and by the lack of ported apps (app launching support). We decided ourselves in one case only - tar/bzip2.
    I only meant that there's no indication of the existence of a Classic-specific version of Resco Explorer on the new Mobihand Classic web store, nor is there any indication that you are going to sell it for a lower price.
  6.    #26  
    It's in the preparation. Possibly tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Jan, I look forward to ANYTHING from Resco for the Pre! I haven't purchased one yet, but knew I was going to be a Classic user in order to use IDGuard, RE, and RescoView. I'm sad to leave my trusted RescoBackup behind, but there isn't much use for it in the current one-an-only WebOS device.

I'm glad to see you looking ahead! Thank you.
  8.    #28  
    Right now the Lite version is available at

Resco (purchase will be working within roughly 24 hours)
    Handango (purchase will be working within roughly 24 hours)
    Mobihand (purchase working)

The price is $9.95.

Thanks
    You might want to correct something on the Mobihand site. There's a pink box on the right that says it's not compatible with the Pre.
    It isn't compatible with a stock Pre, you need to be running Classic.
  11.    #31  
    For those who would like to try - here is a version signed for Classic emulator. (You get rid of the annoying warning when launching the app.)
    I just bough the Lite version. I didn't use RE before, so I am feeling my way around. I bought it for thr backup/restore alone.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I can't say that I'd want to launch Classic in order to be able to use any app for the long term. But would like a file manager.
    Is there a share your RINGTONES Thread?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I had no idea about this. This looks pretty great.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12