Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    At least you aren't paying an "introductory price" of $95.00 that may or may not include either a monthly subscription or future map updates...

Gizmodo - Navigon GPS Navi iPhone App: Europe-Only Maps, $95 "Special Introduction Price" - Navigon
    Ouch ....
    Geez! Only...
    Just another reason why I have chosen to stick with Sprint....
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    As mactechnews.de reports, the full price for the Europe version will be €99.99 (about 140$). Regional versions will cost €69.99. [www.mactechnews.de]

OUCH!
    I also wonder how well these apps will work on iPhone since they are not built into the OS so they will not multitask. I moved from iPhone to Pre and on iPhone some of the built in OS apps like the ipod part and the phone can multitask but not 3rd party apps. What do you do when you decide to check an email or do something else in the middle of a trip - you then have to start the navigation all over?

For many reasons the Pre beats the iPhone imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I also wonder how well these apps will work on iPhone since they are not built into the OS so they will not multitask. I moved from iPhone to Pre and on iPhone some of the built in OS apps like the ipod part and the phone can multitask but not 3rd party apps. What do you do when you decide to check an email or do something else in the middle of a trip - you then have to start the navigation all over?

For many reasons the Pre beats the iPhone imo.
    Probably the same way it worked on Treos. You go do whatever you need to do, and when you go back to the Nav program it automatically knows to continue the last route you used.
    Telenav is also normally $10 a month so its great that its included in our plans.
    I'd be surprised if the iphone can't run nav in the background. Garmin on the Treo/Centro can pause in the background where you can switch to do other things and when you switch back to Nav, it resumes where you left off. The Pre runs nav all the time which makes multitasking a must for future smartphones.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Probably the same way it worked on Treos. You go do whatever you need to do, and when you go back to the Nav program it automatically knows to continue the last route you used.
    Yeah, that's how WordPerfect for DOS used to work. It could remember the most recently opened document, and reopen it when restarted. Of course, that was in 1992.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yeah, that's how WordPerfect for DOS used to work. It could remember the most recently opened document, and reopen it when restarted. Of course, that was in 1992.
    Hey, I'm not saying it's a good solution, just that it's a solution. And I've been saying for a while that iPhone users are going to be disappointed when they see how expensive Nav software packages are.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hey, I'm not saying it's a good solution, just that it's a solution. And I've been saying for a while that iPhone users are going to be disappointed when they see how expensive Nav software packages are.
    Oh sher. I just couldn't help getting in a little dig there. I think it's just hilarious (and yet very sad) that the iPhone can be so incredibly popular when it's so inherently limited. Amazing what Apple gets away with.

Of course, I'm writing this on my early-2008 MacBook Pro that gets hotter than my George Foreman grill.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I love Sprint NAVI so far...Friday night we were heading back to this girls house in a car full of girls...she was drunk and wasn't giving good directions so I pulled out my phone...she says, it won't work...the maps don't know where my house is...I said give me your address...it worked. She was happy.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I just wish I had a way to mount it and power it on my motorcycles works great in the car. It does show my house as being down the street, but so does map quest and anywhere else I check. They changed the address about 2 years ago when they redid the 911 emergency systems in my area, and no one seems to have updated that yet.
    Hard to criticize without knowing more. We know the limitations of Sprint's Nav service. The iphone should work out of coverage as well and have the maps already loaded.
    I think many people really underestimate how great Sprint's Navigation service is, especially considering it's included as part of the phone/plan. And having it on the Pre with multitasking makes it that much better. Eventually, once I finish my Touchstone car-mount project, I can just use it as my dedicated vehicle GPS unit and let my wife keep the Garmin in her car all the time. Win!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Hard to criticize without knowing more. We know the limitations of Sprint's Nav service. The iphone should work out of coverage as well and have the maps already loaded.

The pre's gps works out of service range... Get your facts straight before spewing useless information
    i am sure theres also going to be a monthly price added to it on top of that
    I love the fact that the maps are updated ota and pretty steadily. Several times a year. I live on a new street and it is already in there.. Garmin wants to charge me over $100 for new maps that may/may not have my new street and local businesses on it..
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    The pre's gps works out of service range... Get your facts straight before spewing useless information
    The GPS sure works outside of Sprint coverage areas, but the Sprint Nav program itself doesn't, and unless you have the map installed in your brain and can read coordinates, it's as useful as a rock.

I just checked this app out in itunes, it's 1.65GB. So I am pretty sure this is an offline app just like TomTom Navigator on Treos. Considering that, the price is just inline with other offline Sat Nav apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast