Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Thanks Sprint!
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Keep in mind that the application on the iPhone stores map information locally, much like a standalone GPS (think TomTom). The advantage of this should be obvious; you can still use the navigation software when not in cellular coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    The GPS sure works outside of Sprint coverage areas, but the Sprint Nav program itself doesn't, and unless you have the map installed in your brain and can read coordinates, it's as useful as a rock.

I just checked this app out in itunes, it's 1.65GB. So I am pretty sure this is an offline app just like TomTom Navigator on Treos. Considering that, the price is just inline with other offline Sat Nav apps.
    Thats when you bust out your maps,compass and navigation tools, you hand them to the person driving with you and demand he give you promising results. You give him the name "first mate" and plot out the route to the PLUNDER!

I dont know why they cripple the gps like that tho
    Quote Originally Posted by chemengr View Post
    i'd be surprised if the iphone can't run nav in the background. Garmin on the treo/centro can pause in the background where you can switch to do other things and when you switch back to nav, it resumes where you left off. The pre runs nav all the time which makes multitasking a must for future smartphones.
    but no phone calls when we are on the internet
    At least the Navigon UI looks better, I think Telenav looks awful. I am sticking to my Nuvi 755t.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    What do you do when you decide to check an email or do something else in the middle of a trip - you then have to start the navigation all over?

For many reasons the Pre beats the iPhone imo.
    Wow, I feel more grateful by reading that. Thanks.

I'm really glad for Sprint Navigation. It's really nice and also can find places by how far they are from you and their rating.
    well, sprint has awesome 3G coverage. Traveling I have never been out of EVDO signal. From my friends on ATT I can say the opposite. The Iphone "needs" offline map to hide the poor coverage from ATT =)
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
    well, sprint has awesome 3G coverage. Traveling I have never been out of EVDO signal. From my friends on ATT I can say the opposite. The Iphone "needs" offline map to hide the poor coverage from ATT =)
    lol...I just have to say Edgar...I LOVE you avatar!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    The pre's gps works out of service range... Get your facts straight before spewing useless information
    The Sprint Nav works somewhat outside of service. It needs to be in service to download your route, then you can be outside of service for the remainder of the trip. If you deviate away from the route, it won't be able to download a new route, so you would have to try your darndest to stay on route.

I've never tried it out of range, but do the voice prompts still work outside of range?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    The Sprint Nav works somewhat outside of service. It needs to be in service to download your route, then you can be outside of service for the remainder of the trip. If you deviate away from the route, it won't be able to download a new route, so you would have to try your darndest to stay on route.

I've never tried it out of range, but do the voice prompts still work outside of range?
    I only tried it once, the other day I started off in a good signal area and as soon as I hit the part of town that has weak coverage, it gave me an error saying "address not found". Frankly, even in good signal area, Sprint Nav is just next to unusable in 1x areas. When are you going to finish building the 3G network, Sprint?!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12