Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    Have you rebooted? The Java service isn't registered until a reboot.
    From the readme:

----------------------
    Install/ Update service
    -----------------------
    - Place the flashlight.tar at the root / dir
    - run tar -xvf flashlight.tar (this will extract the files to the needed directory)

-Run the following command while rooted into the Pre

/usr/bin/luna-helper 'luna://com.palm.vm/launch' '{"serviceName":"com.pregame.prelease","className":"com.pregame.Prelease"}'

This will start the Prelease service.
    Are you saying that it should instead read as follows?

----------------------
    Install/ Update service
    -----------------------
    - run tar -xvf flashlight.tar (this will extract the files to the needed directory)

- REBOOT!

-Run the following command while rooted into the Pre

/usr/bin/luna-helper 'luna://com.palm.vm/launch' '{"serviceName":"com.pregame.prelease","className":"com.pregame.Prelease"}'

This will start the Prelease service.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    If you don't know about Linux I suggest you stay away from rooting because of the harm it may cause even though the webOS Reset Doctor is available to download. You can always read any book on Linux .
    Honestly i had no experience using linux or SSH and i was able to root and mod my pre by following the instructions and getting help from the members on this board. But try at your own risk
    Reboot did it for me, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan99 View Post
    From the readme:
    Are you saying that it should instead read as follows?

No, The last step isn't really necessary. It was supposed to save the reboot step, but it cannot work, as the dbus service hasn't been registered yet, which is what the error is saying.

So it's really:

----------------------
    Install/ Update service
    -----------------------

- REBOOT!

- Enjoy!
    Excellent.

Worked like a charm.

Now that I'm dissecting things and figuring out how it all works, I have a few questions:

* The index.html seems to be ignored. What tells the environment to load the ./app/views/flashlight/flashlight-scene.html? I don't see a reference to this file in the JSON or in any of the code, so I assume it must be derived somehow.

* Why don't CSS changes made to pretty.css propagate to flashlight-scene.html? If I make flashlight.scene.html a proper html document (with html tags, head tags, etc.) the app barfs, so I figure flashlight-scene.html is somehow only used as an snippet, yet the main document's (index.html's) link to pretty.css doesn't seem to apply either.

Apologies if these are basics. Just got my Pre this past weekend so I'm a little behind the curve here.
    If anyone is interested, here's a tweaked version of the icon without the white background and some alpha blending and transparency:

Easy enough to install - just copy over the icon.png folder and reboot. Is there an easy way to force icon reloading by the shell without rebooting?
    Hi, Firstly I'd like to thank PreGame for his awesome work! I'm still having a huge problem though. I keep getting the error message when I try to untar the file.

-sh: run: not found

I've been trying at this all day and I can't figure it out for the life of me. I've successfully gained root access to my pre, placed the "flashlight.tar" file into the root directory of the pre (H:/) and typed in the command line. I have done this repeatedly, extracted the files manually, and tried everything. Still can't figure it out. Thanks for the help!!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have looked and looked, has a non-rooted IPK email link been published yet? If so, please provide it here again or a link to where I can get the email with the link. 'Holding out on 1.0.4 until I can get this great app!

Thank you,

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Didn't work for me either. Check updated instructions on the wiki. There is also now a packaging script by 'quailish' that might make it easier for you. Some are now reporting the app must be installed in /usr/palm and not /var/usr/palm. You also may have to put a lead ./ in the control.tar.gz. See updated wiki.

pre dev wiki: Installing Homebrew Apps on Stock Pre without Rooting
    YES! And NO...this installed on my pre, comes up and I can turn the switch on and off...only problem...the led doesn't turn on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    I have looked and looked, has a non-rooted IPK email link been published yet? If so, please provide it here again or a link to where I can get the email with the link. 'Holding out on 1.0.4 until I can get this great app!

Thank you,

Robert
    If I'm not mistaken, this app requires using code and services that are currently not directly accessible through the SDK and thereby not compatible with non-rooted Pres. Sorry. I wish it was too!
    Quote Originally Posted by GregAMDG View Post
    YES! And NO...this installed on my pre, comes up and I can turn the switch on and off...only problem...the led doesn't turn on.
    Sounds to me like that defeats the purpose of having the app! Wish I could help (and have on non-rooted).
    Ok...I installed the IPK through the SDK. Obviously the icon is going to show up and the program will run but the LED doesn't come on. I attempted to install the .sh files while rooted in the pre:

chmod 744 /usr/palm/applications/com.pregam.app.flashlight/app/scripts/lighton.sh

Again I get this darned error:

No such file or directory

I'd appreciate any help.
    AGAIN: To be Clear; There is NO CURRENT WAY to get this app to work correctly without rooting!

You can install the app itself, but the LED will NOT light up unless you install the DBUS service jar running as root from a command line!

The IPK is therefore useless! Do not even bother with it, as it will do absolutely nothing.

Note: All the "type:" instructions below mean to type everything as seen between the quotes, not including the quotes, then hit enter.

Again; here are the working instructions:
    1. ROOT your Pre. http://predev.wikidot.com/rooting
    2. Login to your Pre using your favorite terminal.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    4. cd to root (type: "cd /")
    5. Make sure the filesystem is RW (type: "rootfs_open -t")
    6. Get the flashlight tar. (type: "wget http://lunaware.com/flashlight.tar")
    7. Untar it. (type: "tar -xvf flashlight.tar")
    8. now reboot and logout. (type: "reboot", then "exit", then "exit")

When your Pre comes back up, the flashlight should work if you have done everything correctly.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    if you installed the IPK through the SDK then it stored the application in /var/usr/palm/.../... and so on. It is not recommended to use the IPK as the IPK posted by another member will not work since the services cannot be installed via IPK.

Please follow pEEf's instructions above for installation.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    The original post has been updated with IPK notes.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    Side issue when I try to type the "su -" command, I get the following:

su: must be suid to work properly

I've got very rudimentary Linux skills, and have been just using sudo on all my commands. So far, that's gotten me through things.

What do I need to change?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Side issue when I try to type the "su -" command, I get the following:

su: must be suid to work properly

I've got very rudimentary Linux skills, and have been just using sudo on all my commands. So far, that's gotten me through things.

What do I need to change?
    sudo chmod +s /bin/su
    sudo chmod +s /bin/su
    Excellent!! That did it for me.
    This is over my head... I just bought a flashlight and I'm gonna duct tape it to the phone. lol
    LOL!

And it doesn't even require rooting. In fact, the opposite is true. You need to take the duct tape off to plug the USB cable in so you can root.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBULLRED View Post
    This is over my head... I just bought a flashlight and I'm gonna duct tape it to the phone. lol
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast