Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    What would you do if you want it on full brightness while holding it in landscape?

I think just a slider you pull from left to right, is alot better.
    I would think that a toggle switch so you have brightness by slider or brightness by rotation would be cool. I could see fumbling around the dark trying not to wake the girlfriend. It would be cool rotating the phone in the air vary the brightness on the fly one handed. The toggle switch would just grey out the slider when in rotation mode. Anyways the app is appreciated now.

Thanks.
    I do love this mod, thanks
    My Notification works just fine.
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    Just installed, works great! Thanks!!!
    This looks like a Really useful app, I'm really considering rooting my pre ! Thanks
    has any progress been made in reference to non rooting for this app? i tried and the instructions arent very good.
    From what I can tell our best bet of doing this without rooting is going to come via the SDK, but it is still doubtful. There are just some things that Palm won't give developers access to. At this point in time rooting is your best bet if you want something like this.. The instructions to root your Pre on the Wiki are very well put together and the instructions from PreGame to install the flashlight app are also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGeniusGreg View Post
    has any progress been made in reference to non rooting for this app? i tried and the instructions arent very good.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Flashlight app rules. Thanks so much.

Feature improvements:
    -An option to set backlight level (screen) pretty low. If you're using the flashlight, chances are you're in a dark place, so having the screen be normal brightness can be blinding.
    -Big Honkin' Button to turn flashlight on/off. Fiddling around for that small toggle button is a little annoying.
    -Any way to hook the on/off to a physical button? Perhaps override the volume control buttons when in flashlight mode? Or maybe find out how WebOS does the 'speed dial' function, and then have a keyboard key that automatically launches and then engages the flashlight on mode? Just looking for a quicker way to use the flashlight than digging through the menus and launching the app. (I use the phone's flashlight because it's already on me, and is faster than going to find a flashlight.)
    -Turn on the camera (the preview, not taking snapshots) when the flashlight is engaged? I'm struggling to think of the utility of this, but maybe someone else can think of a way this would be useful.
    Yessss
    Awesome! Works like a champ. Thanks.
    Not to sound like a broken record, but could someone please post a link to the .ipk of it so we can install it on non-rooted Pre's before the OS update removes the ability to install? Or just upload the ipk to this forum?

Thanks!!
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    I'm still seeing the following error:

root@castle:/# /usr/bin/luna-helper 'luna://com.palm.vm/launch' '{"serviceName":
    "com.pregame.prelease","className":"com.pregame.Prelease"}'
    ** Message: _response: got response {"errorCode":"ErrorGenericServiceNotFound", "errorText":"Service Not Found"}

I renamed Prelease.jar to prelease.jar, as Eguy described, but am unsure about what changes need to be made to the .jsjsjs $that$ $Eguy$ $referenced$.

I've scanned the entire thread and don't see a complete remedy. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Keegan99; 06/29/2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Not to sound like a broken record, but could someone please post a link to the .ipk of it so we can install it on non-rooted Pre's before the OS update removes the ability to install? Or just upload the ipk to this forum?

Thanks!!
    I 2nd the motion
    I 3rde the motion.. Please..
    Guys, there is no way to make this work w/o rooting. There is a Java-based controller that needs to be installed that actually turns the lights on, and this cannot be installed w/o rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    Guys, there is no way to make this work w/o rooting. There is a Java-based controller that needs to be installed that actually turns the lights on, and this cannot be installed w/o rooting.
    Thanks for the info! Not sure why nobody else pointed that out earlier....

Seems kinda ironic all that has to be done, just to turn on and off an LED
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Palm wanted to make sure that there is no way an app can access the core OS, that way there is less opportunity for malware. Unfortunately we only know how to light up the flash LED through the core OS, we have not yet found a mojo method. If one is discovered, then it will be possible to make it work w/o rooting.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Thanks for the info! Not sure why nobody else pointed that out earlier....

Seems kinda ironic all that has to be done, just to turn on and off an LED
    This is pretty cool but also a shame. You have a simple yet very useful app here for the Pre but Palm is holding you back by forcing everyone through the app store. I am guessing that they are going to require some kind of quality certification to allow programs to be on the app store so that they don't repeat the PalmOS nightmare of having all kinds of apps do bad things causing OS instability. I understand their thinking but can't help but wonder, say a business wants to create an internal corporate application to run on the Pre? If it is not for distribution outside their company, they are not going to put it on the App store. So how do they install it? It is taking your flashlight installation problem to another level. I agree that the email attachment workaround was too big a vulnerability to be allowed, but they should allow some device to install apps without going through the app store or having to root the OS.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Hmm I can't seem to defeat the dreaded

** Message: _response: got response {"errorCode":"ErrorGenericServiceNotFound", "errorText":"Service Not Found"}

Anyone want to write up steps to do it? I renamed the file, but I don't understand what I should be changing in the JSJSJS $for$ $this$ $to$ $work$..
    Have you rebooted? The Java service isn't registered until a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by snakedal337 View Post
    Hmm I can't seem to defeat the dreaded

Anyone want to write up steps to do it? I renamed the file, but I don't understand what I should be changing in the JSJSJS $for$ $this$ $to$ $work$..
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast