Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    Thanks, I don't mean to go off topic here but I wish I was able to use the filemanager service and internalz app to remove it but this version wouldn't allow me and only have limited "read/write" on files files from media/internalz/ if I could just tap it away rather than typing command lines would be nice. ya kno what I mean?
    If the FileManager service allowed things to be modified under /usr, then a rogue webos application could easily use that to install a trojan on your Pre.

I presume you do not want to give up security for convenience ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    on a second thought, After trying to go to /usr/palm/applications/ I did this on my pre and without an issue. My girlfriend's pre isn't getting the same response. it keep rejecting my request saying permission denied at root. why is that?
    on a second thought, After trying to go to /usr/palm/applications/ I did this on my pre and without an issue. My girlfriend's pre isn't getting the same response. it keep rejecting my request saying permission denied at root. why is that?
    You need to be logged in as root, and the root filesystem must be writeable. This is explained in many places on the webos-internals wiki.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If the FileManager service allowed things to be modified under /usr, then a rogue webos application could easily use that to install a trojan on your Pre.

I presume you do not want to give up security for convenience ...

-- Rod
    You're absolutely right. I am an *****, right? lol

btw there has to be some advance means of security before the trojan can be placed that easily. Just because it's write/modify capable doesn't mean it can do so with a password or some kind of security.
    btw there has to be some advance means of security before the trojan can be placed that easily. Just because it's write/modify capable doesn't mean it can do so with a password or some kind of security.
    If the FileManager service allowed writing to the /usr or /etc directory, I can think of three different ways to install a Trojan which can steal all your personal details and email them to me. I won't detail them for obvious reasons.

If a service (which already runs as root) allows a webOS application to write arbitrary data outside of /var or /media/internal, then it can place a Trojan without needing any further passwords or anything.

It is possible that even just being able to write into /var might be enough to install a Trojan, but I haven't spent too much time thinking about that more complex possible vector of infiltration. I advised Jason before the FileManager service release to not allow writing outside of /media/internal, but he would only compromise on allowing /var as well.

-- Rod
    You need to be logged in as root, and the root filesystem must be writeable. This is explained in many places on the webos-internals wiki.

-- Rod
    again you're right. I forgot to add these commands mount -o remount, rw /

But here's what I got..
    root@castle:/# mount -o remount, rw /
    root@castle:/# ipkg remove com.pregame.app.flashlight
    No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done
    root@castle:/# ipkg remove com.pregame.prelease.service
    No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done

Even though the flashlight app (non-working) is still in the pre's launcher.. just sitting there. am I doing something wrong?
    root@castle:/# ikpg remove com.pregame.app.flashlight
    /bin/sh: ikpg: not found
    root@castle:/# remove prelease.jar
    /bin/sh: remove: not found
    root@castle:/# remove /usr/lib/java/prelease.jar
    /bin/sh: remove: not found
    root@castle:/# /etc/event.d/prelease
    /bin/sh: /etc/event.d/prelease: not found
    root@castle:/# rm com.pregame.app.flashlight -r
    rm: cannot remove 'com.pregame.app.flashlight': No such file or directory
    root@castle:/# rm com.pregame.prelease.service -r
    rm: cannot remove 'com.pregame.prelease.service': No such file or directory
    root@castle:/# rm prelease.jar -r
    rm: cannot remove 'prelease.jar': No such file or directory
    root@castle:/# rm prelease -r
    rm: cannot remove 'prelease': No such file or directory
    root@castle:/# find / -name "com.pre*"
    /var/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.pre101.matchem.list
    /var/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.pre101.matchem.control
    /var/usr/palm/applications/com.pre101.matchem
    /usr/palm/applications/com.pregame.app.flashlight
    /media/internal/downloads/com.predictions.webos_0.9.2_all.ipk
    root@castle:/#

this so frustrating!
    this so frustrating!
    Yes, it is frustrating when people don't listen to the help given. I pointed you to a Basic Linux Usage wiki page in a previous post, which contains all the information you need to understand what you are doing wrong above.

-- Rod
    Yes, it is frustrating when people don't listen to the help given. I pointed you to a Basic Linux Usage wiki page in a previous post, which contains all the information you need to understand what you are doing wrong above.

-- Rod
    You're talking about this page right...
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    You're talking about this page right...
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    Yes, the second line in the "Before you start" section.

Or Googling "linux remove directory" would probably get you the same information ...

Seriously mate, you've exceeded your quota of asking questions that could be answered by searching existing information sources. I'd consider that carefully before asking the next one if I was you ...

-- Rod
    For whatever reason, the service seems broken and won't install in PreWare now. Had it installed a week ago just fine, reimaged my phone after playing around too much, got a clean fresh install, and it will not work.

I wish I could just download the ipk file and be done with it. Its not even listed at all in the new version of WebOS Quick Install.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    wont install here too
    Quote Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post
    So it took me a long time and a lot of searching through the forums and the many pages of this thread, but I finally got the flashlight working! This is great--I've been wanting this since the first day I got my Pre. Big thanks to the developers and to Jason R. for making it all play nicely together.

To save others some time in the future, here's the quick synopsis of how to get the Flashlight working on your phone. Maybe an admin can put these instructions on the first post of this thread or make it into its own thread?

Step 1: Set your phone up for homebrew using WebOS Quick Install v 2.0.1 or later. Instructions: http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

Step 2: Download the two files you need to make the flashlight work.
    File 1 (Flashlight Service): http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/...e.prelease.ipk
    File 2 (Flashlight App): http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/..._0.0.1_all.ipk

Step 3: Using WebOS Quick Install v 2.0.1 or later, install the two ipk files

That's it! If all goes well, you should now have a working flashlight app in your launcher.
    this worked flawlessly. thank you.
    I had the flashlight app working but I noticed it stopped working about 1 day or so ago. It stopped before I updated WebOS. I have tried removing the application along with the flashlight service. When I try to remove the service using Preware, it states the service removal probably failed. There is no information in the IPKG log. I have tried resetting it and removing the flashlight app first. I am not even sure what change I made to my pre that disabled it, though I am quite sure it wasn't the new update. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know of a fix or will I have to wipe my phone to be able to uninstall the flashlight service so that I am able to get the flashlight working again. I like that app! Thanks!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post
    So it took me a long time and a lot of searching through the forums and the many pages of this thread, but I finally got the flashlight working! This is great--I've been wanting this since the first day I got my Pre. Big thanks to the developers and to Jason R. for making it all play nicely together.

To save others some time in the future, here's the quick synopsis of how to get the Flashlight working on your phone. Maybe an admin can put these instructions on the first post of this thread or make it into its own thread?

Step 1: Set your phone up for homebrew using WebOS Quick Install v 2.0.1 or later. Instructions: http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

File 1 (Flashlight Service): http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/...e.prelease.ipk

That's it! If all goes well, you should now have a working flashlight app in your launcher.

Thanks!!! light works beautifully!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post

Thanks!!! light works beautifully!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaderite666 View Post
    I had the flashlight app working but I noticed it stopped working about 1 day or so ago. It stopped before I updated WebOS. I have tried removing the application along with the flashlight service. When I try to remove the service using Preware, it states the service removal probably failed. There is no information in the IPKG log. I have tried resetting it and removing the flashlight app first. I am not even sure what change I made to my pre that disabled it, though I am quite sure it wasn't the new update. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know of a fix or will I have to wipe my phone to be able to uninstall the flashlight service so that I am able to get the flashlight working again. I like that app! Thanks!
    The same thing happened to me. I tried uninstalling the service with preware, resulting in the "removal probably failed" message and then the OS lagged for a breif period (until I restarted the device). After I restarted and loaded preware, the flashlight service was still showing as "installed".
    I'm going to try to fix it as soon as I have a chance. I've been reading whatever I could find and haven't found a solution yet. If I do, I'll be sure to post what worked for me, short of wiping my Pre. I liked that app enough to do that.
  19. Cin
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I haven't read the backlog, so this may have been asked before, but have you considered making just tapping the app icon turn the flashlight on and off? Seems like it would save a step.
    I cant find this app in quickinstall? Where is it???