Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    awesome, worked great. thanks for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I did get it installed finally using the QuickInstall method. It still doesn't work though.

I was SSH in my phone did a find command...

find / -name "com.prega*"

and deleted every file/directory it found. Then reinstalled the service 1st using quickinstall and then the flashlight.ipk. The flashlight.ipk opens but doesn't turn on the LED. Any ideas or suggestions to help me get this working?

Right now I'm pretty sure I could go back to the .tar method of install but I really don't want to do that. Thanks!
    Before I found out about WebOs Quick Install I used the rooted pre method to get this app installed. Now that we have flashlight available on quickinstall I cant seem to remove the icon.. I did use Quickinstall to remove the flash service and flashlight app then when I click device management again it shows that it's removed but the flashlight app icon is still showing on the pre's launcher.. ???? the orange key-tap remove flashlight icon dont work. Doing this only displays the version and name of app as if it were palms app which cant be deleted. A little help appreciated here. Thanks.

I attached a screenshot from the pre using the commands above and it found several directories associating with the name "prega" I want it removed. Somebody please post how to's on removing pregame's flashlight completely. Thanks.

btw I used webos quickinstall version 2.03
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by getmoneyeveryday; 09/21/2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Here is how you can remove the actual application. I don't know about the service.

Logged in as root the app will be in either

usr/palm/applications/

or

var/usr/palm/applications/

depending on how you installed. Use the cd and ls commands to find the com.pregame.app.flashlight folder. From the appropriate applications directory type:

Code:
    rm com.pregame.app.flashlight -r
    That will get rid of the application itself. I still don't know how to get rid of the service. But I'll be following the instructions posted by IlyaK in a few minutes.
    I tried that.. didn't work for me. I got no such file/directory error. sucks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    AGAIN: To be Clear; There is NO CURRENT WAY to get this app to work correctly without rooting!

You can install the app itself, but the LED will NOT light up unless you install the DBUS service jar running as root from a command line!

The IPK is therefore useless! Do not even bother with it, as it will do absolutely nothing.

Note: All the "type:" instructions below mean to type everything as seen between the quotes, not including the quotes, then hit enter.

Again; here are the working instructions:
    1. ROOT your Pre. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    2. Login to your Pre using your favorite terminal.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    4. cd to root (type: "cd /")
    5. Make sure the filesystem is RW (type: "rootfs_open -t")
    6. Get the flashlight tar. (type: "wget http://lunaware.com/flashlight.tar")
    7. Untar it. (type: "tar -xvf flashlight.tar")
    8. now reboot and logout. (type: "reboot", then "exit", then "exit")

When your Pre comes back up, the flashlight should work if you have done everything correctly.
    This is exactly how I installed it.. Now I'm looking for the uninstall instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    This is exactly how I installed it.. Now I'm looking for the uninstall instructions.
    I installed the flashlight perfectly without rooting...I used quick install so you don't need to root
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

When I finally get a real Pre (see http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...needs-pre.html for how to donate), I will work out how do all this cleanly using Preware and not requiring Linux command line access.

And I'll probably create a new service with a new name so that it's different from the old name which has some old versions in the wild that are a security vulnerability.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    If you installed it using the tar file from lunaware.com, you have installed a security vulnerability on your Pre which allows a rogue webOS application to do anything it wants with full system-level privileges.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When I finally get a real Pre (see http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...needs-pre.html for how to donate), I will work out how do all this cleanly using Preware and not requiring Linux command line access.

And I'll probably create a new service with a new name so that it's different from the old name which has some old versions in the wild that are a security vulnerability.

-- Rod
    Why not just add the camera led to the LED service. More standardization of services
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Why not just add the camera led to the LED service. More standardization of services
    Since neither work on my emulator, I personally can't answer that.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I installed the flashlight perfectly without rooting...I used quick install so you don't need to root
    That's wonderful, I'm happy to hear that but listen kid I asked for un-install instructions not install, instructions. have you read my last 3 recent post?

Flashlight was already working when I rooted my pre before the WebOsQuick Install was developed. Then somehow after installing a bunch of homebrews the flashlight just not working anymore not sure what caused that. So now I need to uninstall/remove everything and I'm saving the installation instructions (webos quick install method) after I removed everything at once.
    That's wonderful, I'm happy to hear that but listen kid I asked for un-install instructions not install, instructions. have you read my last 3 recent post?

Flashlight was already working when I rooted my pre before the WebOsQuick Install was developed. Then somehow after installing a bunch of homebrews the flashlight just not working anymore not sure what caused that. So now I need to uninstall/remove everything and I'm saving the installation instructions (webos quick install method) after I removed everything at once.
    By the way don't give me that attitude "kid" and second of all I can't help you bc you rooted ur pre and I never installed flashlight by rooting...next time be nice and calm down
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

If you installed it using the tar file from lunaware.com, you have installed a security vulnerability on your Pre which allows a rogue webOS application to do anything it wants with full system-level privileges.

-- Rod
    Thank you so much that's helpful. So can you tell me how to remove it?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    By the way don't give me that attitude "kid" and second of all I can't help you bc you rooted ur pre and I never installed flashlight by rooting...next time be nice and calm down
    No pun intended. But thanks for the reply.
    No pun intended. But thanks for the reply.
    Anyways my post b4 was for the person you quoted b4 saying that the flashlight cannot be installed any other way than rooting...I couldn't find his post bc I'm on my pre so I decided to quote you...so sorry
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

You may want to reconsider the way that you request help from those who are providing it to you free of charge.

Thank you so much that's helpful. So can you tell me how to remove it?
    I expect people did read your last 3 recent posts, but they've probably also read the other 412 posts in the thread (which give command-line removal instructions a number of times), and the Basic Linux Usage page on the wiki as well ....

If that doesn't help, you will need to contact PreGame, the original author of that service - it's not a webos-internals service, and seems to have a non-standard installation location based on your screenshot.

-- Rod
    thanks!!! works great
    You may want to reconsider the way that you request help from those who are providing it to you free of charge.

I expect people did read your last 3 recent posts, but they've probably also read the other 412 posts in the thread (which give command-line removal instructions a number of times), and the Basic Linux Usage page on the wiki as well ....
    I'm working on that. Like I said no pun intended. I apologize to those who I offended. It doesn't matter if I get help or not but what really matters is giving anyone, the developers, or rogue software access to my pre with full privileges and which could easily give this homebrew a bad name. I didn't know about this before. I do take full responsibility for my actions. I'm simply asking for reference (uninstall/ removal guide) not found within the 412 post. You're not just helping me, you're helping all of us. And I'm looking forward it.
    btw one guy posted this "rm com.pregame.app.flashlight -r" but that didn't help.
    If that doesn't help, you will need to contact PreGame, the original author of that service - it's not a webos-internals service, and seems to have a non-standard installation location based on your screenshot.
    -- Rod
    Could you elaborate? What do you mean non standard location? Wouldn't it be easier to see about a command line that tells the pre to remove it based on that location?
    btw one guy posted this "rm com.pregame.app.flashlight -r" but that didn't help.

Could you elaborate? What do you mean non standard location? Wouldn't it be easier to see about a command line that tells the pre to remove it based on that location?
    You will need to be in the /usr/palm/applications directory before using that command.

You should also check for a file in /etc/event.d which references anything related to com.pregame, and remove it too.

-- Rod
    OK, I took a look at that flashlight.tar file.

You need to remove the following directory:

/usr/palm/applications/com.pregame.app.flashlight/

and the following files:

/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.pregame.prelease.service
    /usr/lib/luna/java/Prelease.jar
    /etc/event.d/prelease

then reboot your Pre.

-- Rod
    OK, I took a look at that flashlight.tar file.

You need to remove the following directory:

/usr/palm/applications/com.pregame.app.flashlight/

and the following files:

/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.pregame.prelease.service
    /usr/lib/luna/java/Prelease.jar
    /etc/event.d/prelease

then reboot your Pre.

-- Rod
    Thanks, I don't mean to go off topic here but I wish I was able to use the filemanager service and internalz app to remove it but this version wouldn't allow me and only have limited "read/write" on files files from media/internalz/ if I could just tap it away rather than typing command lines would be nice. ya kno what I mean?

Update... I removed everything.. and reinstalled flashlight using webosquickinstall. finally.. works now. Thanks.
    Last edited by getmoneyeveryday; 09/21/2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: update