Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Awesome! Guess I can stop working on my version. I was looking through the camera app to see how they controlled the flash. Figured it'd be cleaner than using shell scripts.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Yea I was looking through the camera app and trying it but it is a pain. There is no clear flash call. It looks like the flash is built into one of the linux binaries.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    OK, I attached a .zip of the file in the original post. Inside the .zip is the .tar. Just put that in your base / directory and run the untar. It should create the directories and add them where needed if not sorry, I have never used untar.

There is a Service I created which is required for the script to work. I am in the middle of getting rid of the .sh scripts but I haven't had time to fine tune it so for now just deal with having a .sh script to turn the light on and off.

IT IS VERY LATE so sorry if the readme sucks!
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Sorry I forgot to include the actual service in there. I have updated the original post with the correct .zip file.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    Sorry I forgot to include the actual service in there. I have updated the original post with the correct .zip file.
    thanks for the update... i have been able to mod apps on my pre but i am not sure how i can put the files in the tar into the appropriate directories of the pre from the pc
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    Yea I was looking through the camera app and trying it but it is a pain. There is no clear flash call. It looks like the flash is built into one of the linux binaries.
    That's how I felt too. I figured it was just my poor knowledge of java.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    One other thing I might add is that you can use the Prelease service to execute commands and run scripts for your own applications. Just use the runCmd method.

IE: palm://com.pregame.prelease/runCmd '{"cmd":"echo hello"}'
    Just tried out your app. I had to change prelease to Prelease (or could probably just change the class to prelease instead of Prelease) to get it to work. Changes I made are in flashlight-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $com$.$pregame$.$prelease$.$service$. $Works$ $great$ $after$ $the$ $changes$. $I$'$m$ $going$ $to$ $try$ $and$ $find$ $a$ $better$ $icon$ $for$ $you$, $though$. $Hello$ $World$ $doesn$'$t$ $quite$ $work$ $for$ $me$ $lol$.
    Looks great! Any hope of you releasing the code for your service class?
    Stole and modified this icon. Little better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm using this icon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    lol ... looks almost the same. One's cartoony and one kind of isn't.
    sorry that i have nothing to add but thanks!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Hmmm ... seems like you have to start the service after a reboot.

I had rebooted for something else and the flash wouldn't turn on. Thought maybe the permissions had changed upon reboot but all files and permissions was as they should be.

Rooted in, used the command stated in the readme and the app works again.
    you should seriously hook up with the guys at the "installing homebrew apps w/out rooting" thread and see if they could use this app as there test subject to install on a non rooted pre.
    I second the w/out rooting idea. Flashlight was a highly used function on my omnia. I use it when I do physicals or focused exams instead of carrying a pen light. I would love to get that back
    i havent done this hack yet but i was wondering how much battery life would this take up?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Battery life is unknown. I am currently working on getting this done with an IPKG so it will install automatically.
    Did you get your script-less version working?
    Nice work! One of the things I've missed since switching from my previous phone was the flashlight option, so I'm glad to have it back
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast