Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by isosunrise View Post
    Yup, confirmed to work with Preware.
    Yea, current version of Preware supports the same standard as WebOS Quick Install, together they represent the end of "rooting required" apps
    Ok, I think I need to uninstall this. It was installed via the rooted method.

Thanks
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I am so happy --- I couldn't figure out how to get this to work, but I spent some time reading, and YIPEEEEE I have a flashlight. You guys are just amazing.
    I was just reading about this app and it appears that I may have a sercurity risk on my phone. I installed this a long time ago with the rooting required method with the .tar file. Anyway, I'd like to remove it and install with webOS quick install to avoid the security issues. I have the original .ipk off I took it of with the "rm" command while SSHed into my phone. Now, how do I remove the original prerelease service?

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post
    So it took me a long time and a lot of searching through the forums and the many pages of this thread, but I finally got the flashlight working! This is great--I've been wanting this since the first day I got my Pre. Big thanks to the developers and to Jason R. for making it all play nicely together.

To save others some time in the future, here's the quick synopsis of how to get the Flashlight working on your phone. Maybe an admin can put these instructions on the first post of this thread or make it into its own thread?

Step 1: Set your phone up for homebrew using WebOS Quick Install v 2.0.1 or later. Instructions: http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

Step 2: Download the two files you need to make the flashlight work.
    File 1 (Flashlight Service): http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/...e.prelease.ipk
    File 2 (Flashlight App): http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/..._0.0.1_all.ipk

Step 3: Using WebOS Quick Install v 2.0.1 or later, install the two ipk files

That's it! If all goes well, you should now have a working flashlight app in your launcher.
    This method worked for me. I had tried it using PreWare and it worked once, then wouldn't work (I accidentally clicked remove on the service).

Doing it this way made it work again.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I was just reading about this app and it appears that I may have a sercurity risk on my phone. I installed this a long time ago with the rooting required method with the .tar file. Anyway, I'd like to remove it and install with webOS quick install to avoid the security issues. I have the original .ipk off I took it of with the "rm" command while SSHed into my phone. Now, how do I remove the original prerelease service?

Thanks,
    Looking for the same thing. For some reason there is a conflict when using the flashlight on my PRE. It slows the system down to a craw. Removing the patch via webOS does not get rid of the programs icon. Seems to get rid of the service as the speed comes back. I would like to know the root commands to remove it.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Looking for the same thing. For some reason there is a conflict when using the flashlight on my PRE. It slows the system down to a craw. Removing the patch via webOS does not get rid of the programs icon. Seems to get rid of the service as the speed comes back. I would like to know the root commands to remove it.
    Here is how you can remove the actual application. I don't know about the service.

Logged in as root the app will be in either

usr/palm/applications/

or

var/usr/palm/applications/

depending on how you installed. Use the cd and ls commands to find the com.pregame.app.flashlight folder. From the appropriate applications directory type:

Code:
    rm com.pregame.app.flashlight -r
    That will get rid of the application itself. I still don't know how to get rid of the service. But I'll be following the instructions posted by IlyaK in a few minutes.

Thanks,
    Let me keep this simple.

How do I remove the original prerelease service included in the original .tar method for installing?

Thanks,
    Installing the new service ipk version of the service will install the new files over-top of the old ones. Just install thr new ones and you should be good.

FYI, general rule of thumb: do not "rm" an application folder, that gets rid of the files, but not its application entry in the ipkg database.

Of course for the earlier tar-installed flashlight, you'll have to "rm" it since it wan't a properly-installed app in the first place
    yeah, funny I noticed the ipkg stuff through this as I was trying to get rid of the service.

So, Even after clearing everything I can find with pregame and prerelease out of my computer, I still cant install via webOS quick install. I tested installing UIwidgets just to make sure that I could drag something from my local pc into the quickinstall and it worked. So, now what? I'm using quick install v2.02.
    Here is how you can remove the actual application. I don't know about the service.

Logged in as root the app will be in either

usr/palm/applications/

or

var/usr/palm/applications/

depending on how you installed. Use the cd and ls commands to find the com.pregame.app.flashlight folder. From the appropriate applications directory type:

Code:
    rm com.pregame.app.flashlight -r
    That will get rid of the application itself. I still don't know how to get rid of the service. But I'll be following the instructions posted by IlyaK in a few minutes.
    Thanks, the files were in both directories. I was able to delete them. I did attempt to reinstall via Preware hoping that the new install would work better. It installs and runs but still slows the system down to a crawl.

I wish I could figure out what the conflict is so I can keep this on the phone. It helps a lot but for now it has to go. Any ideas?
    Someone needs to make this a headless toggle app - the app starts, turns light on / off and close app. No need for an additional load screen amd switch
    Quote Originally Posted by donquixoteh View Post
    Someone needs to make this a headless toggle app - the app starts, turns light on / off and close app. No need for an additional load screen amd switch
    maybe even just a mod to add it to the device menu
    I did get it installed finally using the QuickInstall method. It still doesn't work though.

I was SSH in my phone did a find command...

find / -name "com.prega*"

and deleted every file/directory it found. Then reinstalled the service 1st using quickinstall and then the flashlight.ipk. The flashlight.ipk opens but doesn't turn on the LED. Any ideas or suggestions to help me get this working?

Right now I'm pretty sure I could go back to the .tar method of install but I really don't want to do that. Thanks!
    I had the same "running slow" issue after installing via preware. I just restarted the phone and now it works fine! Flshlight works great....but I agree, it does need to be a headless toggle but maybe open up a card that's plain black or has a little flashlight on it.....makes it easier on the eyes.
    MORES CODE - My Flashlight Service
    You know what might be good also is to have the light blink on and off, you could make it do mores code make it so that you can type something along the lines like HELP and it would blink on and off in mores code I don’t know how that works but you know what I mean right. Heck I’ll leave that up to the experts. You guy’s are doing an awesome job Thank You. Very Muchie… Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernie View Post
    I had the same "running slow" issue after installing via preware. I just restarted the phone and now it works fine! Flshlight works great....but I agree, it does need to be a headless toggle but maybe open up a card that's plain black or has a little flashlight on it.....makes it easier on the eyes.
    I had the same thing happen but it got worse I never knew when the "running slow" would start up.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Okay, So after reading, I am unsure what this Program does. Is it like a flashplayer? so i can play flash games and what not?

At first I thought it was literally a flashlight......
    It is a flashlight, The LED should be coming on when you turn the swithch on.
    I hadn't seen anyone post this so forgive me if it is a repost.

To enable My Flashlight without Rooting

Using WebOS Quick Install v2.03:
    1) Plug in your device and click the button

2) From the dropdown menu select "Manage Custom Feeds"
    3) Add "http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/canuck-software/Packages" to the custom feeds
    4) Select the added custom feed and check "Flashlight service"
    5) Close the window and click "Install"
    6) Return to the custom feed and check "FlashLight!
    7) Close the window and click "Install"
    8) Enjoy your new flashlight

I had been trying to install it with Preware and the install kept failing, this method worked for me.