Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Any ways some one could present some install instructions as simple as the ones used to root/install "mytether"
    ?

Thanks in advance!
    nice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iranmani113 View Post
    Any ways some one could present some install instructions as simple as the ones used to root/install "mytether"
    ?

Thanks in advance!
    I agree - I'm not used to fooling around in root, and I don't know what files go in what directory, how to get them in said directory, and I'm not sure the difference between the service files and the applications files. I'm not an *****, but something a little more clear-cut would be nice.
    ?

Thanks in advance!
    just found this:

AGAIN: To be Clear; There is NO CURRENT WAY to get this app to work correctly without rooting!

You can install the app itself, but the LED will NOT light up unless you install the DBUS service jar running as root from a command line!

The IPK is therefore useless! Do not even bother with it, as it will do absolutely nothing.

Note: All the "type:" instructions below mean to type everything as seen between the quotes, not including the quotes, then hit enter.

Again; here are the working instructions:
    1. ROOT your Pre. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    2. Login to your Pre using your favorite terminal.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    4. cd to root (type: "cd /")
    5. Make sure the filesystem is RW (type: "rootfs_open -t")
    6. Get the flashlight tar. (type: "wget http://lunaware.com/flashlight.tar")
    7. Untar it. (type: "tar -xvf flashlight.tar")
    8. now reboot and logout. (type: "reboot", then "exit", then "exit")

When your Pre comes back up, the flashlight should work if you have done everything correctly.
    Great Program. Works Perfectly! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!
    Installed this last night, had to use in my co-worker's car's engine bay to look at her belts today. Flashlight FTW! Thank you!!!
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ?

Thanks in advance!

its not that hard man. just follow precisely what the instructions said, and use the youtube video to help . you gotta do all the copy and pasting in PUTTY. Putty looks like your typical command terminal, but its not. i've musta tried at least 20 times then finally got it right. BEST application i have so far. definitely worth the frustration if it comes to that. not too scary either. out of alll the times i've tried for htis one app, nothing happend to my pre. hopefully
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wankerc5 View Post
    just found this:

AGAIN: To be Clear; There is NO CURRENT WAY to get this app to work correctly without rooting!

You can install the app itself, but the LED will NOT light up unless you install the DBUS service jar running as root from a command line!

The IPK is therefore useless! Do not even bother with it, as it will do absolutely nothing.

Note: All the "type:" instructions below mean to type everything as seen between the quotes, not including the quotes, then hit enter.

Again; here are the working instructions:
    1. ROOT your Pre. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    2. Login to your Pre using your favorite terminal.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    4. cd to root (type: "cd /")
    5. Make sure the filesystem is RW (type: "rootfs_open -t")
    6. Get the flashlight tar. (type: "wget http://lunaware.com/flashlight.tar")
    7. Untar it. (type: "tar -xvf flashlight.tar")
    8. now reboot and logout. (type: "reboot", then "exit", then "exit")

When your Pre comes back up, the flashlight should work if you have done everything correctly.
    Followed these steps exactly and it worked like a charm. My first rooting

Dave
    Got it!!!
    There is nothing like continuing to work at it and finally getting it...
    Works great...
    Thanks
    How hard would it be to make this app headless? So basically, it would function as a toggle switch for the light in the app launcher and eliminate the need for an 'app' entirely. On that note - could you make toggle switches for other services like gps?
    Quote Originally Posted by touser View Post
    Fantastic app! Although one suggestion i can think of would be an option to make the background in the app black, as of now the white background is a little blinding when it is pitch black and trying to use the phone as a flashlight. Even better would be to dim the screen and have a black BG but i'm sure this is easier said than done.
    I agree, a black background option would be great, i keep getting blinded by the white making the light itself less useful.
    how do you go about making homebrew apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonn95 View Post
    how do you go about making homebrew apps?
    hahahaha
    Finally got the damn app installed. Kept getting invalid tar magic error. Finally after waiting and trying again today, it worked the first time. Patience paid off here. Can't explain why it didn't work the first time.
    ABSOLUTELY AWESOME APPLICATION!!!!

So much better than BADD's flashlight app! TY!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    thanks for the simple instructions..... also before reboot.... go back into the file system and delete the flashlight.tar to save on space... rm flashlight.tar
    so will there ever be an installer for this app so someone that doesnt want to go thru the cold and root there pre...bc i installed the mytether thru an installer and worked amazingly....can this work also as an installer?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    so will there ever be an installer for this app so someone that doesnt want to go thru the cold and root there pre...bc i installed the mytether thru an installer and worked amazingly....can this work also as an installer?
    No.
    thank you very much for this app :P
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Ditto, very cool app. THANKS!